Image Quality and Framebuffer Speculations for WIP/alpha/beta/E3 games *Read the first post*

Because it is a cheat operating in screen space?
Doing the full "correct" raytracing stuff is, you know, kinda slow.

Because it is a cheat operating in screen space?
Doing the full "correct" raytracing stuff is, you know, kinda slow.
Thought so, cause how else would the name screen space make sense..heh
The reason why I mentioned those two games was cause those two were the only instances where I "noticed" this, never found it odd while playing Crysis or UC2...so thought it could've been something different.

highly doubt its new, probably just reworked. alot of devs like saying "new engine" when in reality its the same engine heavily reworked.

it will probably use MSAA

It's in line with their 3D TV direction since according to DigitalFoundry's article, aliasing is more noticeable on stereoscopic 3D games.

highly doubt its new, probably just reworked. alot of devs like saying "new engine" when in reality its the same engine heavily reworked.

it will probably use MSAA

Well... since no-one re-writes and entire game engine from scratch, they always re-use alot of their exisiting codebase, i don't think there's anything wrong with them calling it a new engine if they've made changes substantial enough to warrant it.

On topic though, i'm really getting excited by the prospect of more devs utilising a form of MLAA in their upcoming games... anything that sorts the men from the jaggies gets a thumbs up in my view ;-)

(Also, is that SSAO i spot in those LBP2 shots?)

(Also, is that SSAO i spot in those LBP2 shots?)
That's the second person to quizz SSAO in LBP2. Am I missing something?! LBP used an irradiance slice techqnieu, which is a better rough approximation of GI with more realistic soft shadowing. Now this is only applied from the global illumination lightsource, and point-lights cast no shadows, very obvious if the main lightsource was blacked out and you just used point lights. In such cases SSAO could be used. However in these shots, any ambient occlusion is likely coming from the irradiance slice method.

Speaking of LBP2, LBP had quite a few low-res uffers for effects. LBP2 is boasting a new particle engine. Are there any screenshots showing smoke etc. that caused pixelation in LBP?

whatever jagged edges you saw is probably due to compression artifacts, cause those two screens are clearly supersampled shots.

Back