Image Quality and Framebuffer Speculations for WIP/alpha/beta/E3 games *Read the first post*

Or... it could still be 1280x720 in the end... maybe Bungie's intentionally screwing with us? :)

1152x720 I'd honestly like more steps to make sure it is 1152 though. The compression is making it kinda fishy. Decent amount of texture filtering seems rather evident.

Sorry for my noobness, but how many MB's would that be in terms of ED-Ram?

Sorry for my noobness, but how many MB's would that be in terms of ED-Ram?

Assuming they use a 32bpp render target you're looking at 6.32MB. If they're using 2 32bpp render targets for HDR like they did with Halo 3 (or 2 RT's for a G-Buffer), then you're looking at 9.49MB.

To be honest the ps3 picture seems more blurried in general...maybe a blur filter or a bit lower resolution or both like the previous game.

you're focusing on the wrong items to determine resolution, looking at the flat polygons will only tell the detail of the textures. you need to focus more on edges to determine the resolution and its obvious that ps3 version is also running 720p.

anyways after looking at the lens of truth article seems like i was actually right, that the texture blurriness is attributed to texture pop-in.

supersampled PR shots, unfortunately.

the overworld shot looks like its legit. A2C pattern on the hair makes it look believable. the two in-battle shots they're doing some funny business for sure, edges are way too clean.

http://images.gamersyde.com/image_final_fantasy_xiii-12238-1185_0006.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming they use a 32bpp render target you're looking at 6.32MB. If they're using 2 32bpp render targets for HDR like they did with Halo 3 (or 2 RT's for a G-Buffer), then you're looking at 9.49MB.

So wouldn't that point to 2 render targets? Seems like calculated to sneak in just under 10MB hence the wonky sub 720P res?

So that means it uses Halo 3 HDR? Odd, as it doesn't seem like a particularly lighting intensive game like Halo 3 did.

Whatever the case, it's looking good so I dont mind.

9.49MB? Well that would be swell and just inside the limit. In that case ED-Ram isn't the main reason why they are limited to that resolution, if they were to fill it up they could do 1200 by 720 (5% more pixels) unless of course they are using the space for something... else

9.49MB? Well that would be swell and just inside the limit. In that case ED-Ram isn't the main reason why they are limited to that resolution, if they were to fill it up they could do 1200 by 720 (5% more pixels) unless of course they are using the space for something... else

Might need to account for a separate alpha buffer, unless they handle that in a separate pass (probably likely, as even a 1/4 res target would put it over the 10MB). Then again, it could be pixel shader limited. ;) hm.... who knows but the devs. :eek:

could bungie be streaming textures for Reach? or just using the ram?
by the looks of it, it may be streaming but thats just base off the looks.

could bungie be streaming textures for Reach? or just using the ram?
by the looks of it, it may be streaming but thats just base off the looks.

There's a certain level of "doing your homework" expected around here.

Instead of "basing it just off the looks", I kindly recommend you read any of the Bungie presentations released over the years, which describe their streaming tech since Halo CE. For something more recent, you might try "New Dog, Old Tricks: Running Halo 3 Without a Hard Drive" by Mat Noguchi.

http://www.bungie.net/images/Inside/publications/presentations/Loading___done_gdc_2008.pptx

To me that suggests that they are limited by something other than eDRAM space (perhaps they're pixel shader-bound).

Alan Wake has been super sampled for the X10 showing.

mmm.... FF13 appears to be 720p 2xMSAA. There is a ton of compression, which I'm not content aboot though.

Those turned out to be PS3 FFXIII shots, slightly altered (button swapped basically) ironically. Someone made a post about this in the games forum. SE will release some proper screens later on.

Back