Image Quality and Framebuffer Speculations for WIP/alpha/beta/E3 games *Read the first post*

At first I was going to say that I doubt it but there is always the chance that this could be another Sigma 2. The 360 version didn't run poorly but did go into sub-hd mode during battle(a place I spent a great deal of time in.) So maybe they have figured out a way to design around the problems that keep the 360 from running closer to 720p. Well find out in February. I'm sure it will make for some interesting discussion. I still think 1080p is a bit of a stretch but 720p at all times is a possibility.

Maybe but it wouldn't take that much effort to re-render them in the ridiculously high resolution.

The elements were drawn at 720p. To "re-render" at 1080p, all elements would have to be redrawn. Not so simple.

I still think 1080p is a bit of a stretch but 720p at all times is a possibility.

The September trailer indicates 720 vertical (or close to, but I'd need more steps to disprove similarity to the 360) outside of battle. Battle scenes are definitely not 720p.

PC (with Xbox controller) or Xbox version? From what i read here http://www.ausgamers.com/news/read/2821411 this is the same build that was used in E3 presentation. They used PC version (with XC) there.

There's pretty high compression there, so I used the videos from VE3D... From what I could tell, it seems to be 720p. The edge aliasing is very very minimal. Seems to be a combination of edge blur post-process and a ridiculous amount of MSAA.

Most likely PC version.

Yeah, the screenshots they were using were native 1600x900. I did the inverse calculation of 4/5 instead of 5/4. Simple stuff and it was early in the morn.:p

Yeah. Only the bits involving transparancy seem almost impervious to AA.

Doubt its going to look like that
What do you mean? The engine shows nothing of impossible, a part the excellent luminance for a sort of deferred rendering. I try to capture some shot.
Update.
I almost sure: the game use deferred rendering : same 'ghost flash' seen only in kz2. Unfortunately I can do a decent capture screen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Should wait for others to reply. My impression was that its not ingame. Its similar to the Reach video but it looks a lot less believable. I really am going just by impressions so its better if someone with close-ups and all that takes a look.

It might be another case of an enhanced cutscene but i get the impression its not realtime.

You could still be right about the technology in the game though and the environment + lighting is really what looks too real.

Should wait for others to reply. My impression was that its not ingame. Its similar to the Reach video but it looks a lot less believable. I really am going just by impressions so its better if someone with close-ups and all that takes a look.

It might be another case of an enhanced cutscene but i get the impression its not realtime.

You could still be right about the technology in the game though and the environment + lighting is really what looks too real.

Could be, but for me gorgeus light a part is all possible. The deferred give the appearance of awesome graphic, but that's all; well hoping it's real time.

Has anyone verified if this game is truly rendering in 1080p? My display says its in 1080p, but everything looks a touch soft. Also the defogging lines on the rear windshield are showing heavy moire patterns, leading me to believe that it's not rendering that at full resolution.

Yeah, it's 1280x1080 2xAA.

Hmm, I wonder if just certain parts are selectively rendered in lower res then. What part did you use to do your res count? Did you try it on the fence mesh for example? Or look at the cables holding up the PD sign. You have to get close to them to see them whole, otherwise they are in pieces. At 1080p with 2xmsaa, they should be appearing as relatively solid lines, unless you are fairly far from them.

EDIT: Maybe move my posts to the image quality thread, i think this may be the wrong place for them.

There are so few vertical objects that I used the cockpit view at the side of the window. :p It otherwise appears to be a 1080 vertical res though.

edit: It's a fairly easy pattern of two steps being 2 pixels wide then 1 pixel wide (2 steps, 3 pixels).

Back