Image Quality and Framebuffer Speculations for WIP/alpha/beta/E3 games *Read the first post*

I was looking at the hood and at the fire extinguisher glass/window/poster thing (not completely clear). Horizontal steps seemed too big for 1280, but maybe there's a different cause? (still trying to learn to see this stuff) Then again some of the other stuff like the enemies look very smooth. But it's hard to see, there's little color in the contrast in that first picture.

Does anyone know what engine is being used, if any?

Thought it may have been a blur filter instead as a few of the shots threw me as they looked to be quite nice resolution . It honestly begs the question though, what developer in their right mind thinks that such a fugly blur filter actually improves the visual quality? I could rub a tub of vaseline on my screen if I wanted the same effect, but then I wouldn't because it'd significatnlly degreade the viusals just like these stupid blur filters do.

I guess the rationale is that it helps combat antialiasing but the downsides are just far too high to use that reasoning and even then the aliasing is very much apparent in those screens so hasn't even achived what its meant to be doing either.

Fwiw,what sort of performance hit would a "blur" filter like this have? I assume it'd be negligeable but either way the idea of using up GPU cycles to degrade the image quality is pretty hard to swallow. Heck, why not go the whole hog and render in a sub HD resolution? The end result looks very similar but at least that way you'd be getting a performance boost out of the deal.

just played it myself, looks pretty sharp, could it be that ign capture those shots with component? Im using hdmi cable.

quick question, are those cut scene in Batman are all FMV? Cuz I think I see some video noise artifacts when I play the demo. Lighting looks significantly better than the gameplay.

hi grandmaster, mind doing a quick tech analysis on Batman, seems like maybe SSAO and MSAA on 360 version but non on PS3. PC demo got all plus physX.

hi grandmaster, mind doing a quick tech analysis on Batman, seems like maybe SSAO and MSAA on 360 version but non on PS3. PC demo got all plus physX.
Yes it's going up tomorrow so long as a minor bug in the new frame analyser is fixed (only displays a PS3 torn frame if there is a 360 one on the same frame!!!). I'm not sure I'm seeing SSAO (any specific examples you'd like to point out), but yes there is MSAA on 360.

Is this selective AA or whatever; we keep looking at on few 360 tittles using UE3,
something which cannot be done on PS3 ?

the usual UE3 selective (?) 2xMSAA on 360.

I'm fairly certain it has something to do with the post-processing pipe* just as with Uncharted; the 2xMSAA is actually harder to notice in Gears 2 because they're using a lot more such effects than in the first game for instance.

*post-process effects being done after the MSAA resolve thus 'over-writing' the MSAA'd surfaces.

Back