Image Quality and Framebuffer Speculations for WIP/alpha/beta/E3 games *Read the first post*

They guys at Lens of Truth were called out on the resolution for the PS3 version. They posted this response. They also compare the quality of the Game Trailers comparison to their own. The PlayStation 3 version looks the same....blurry.

http://www.lensoftruth.com/?p=11033

So from that I take it the GT movies were all encoded at 540p (960x540). So the X360 version would have been downscaled and thus look closer to the PS3 version...

BTW - don't read the comments there. Ugh they made my head hurt... :p

Regards,
SB

I have a question which is partially off topic but didnt want to start a new thread for it.

Is there a way to export video from an HDTV? If yes which is the easiest way to do it?

I am interested since I want to export videos of games not necessarily directly from the console itself, but from my TV.

Gametrailers does some terrible stuff to every movie... Our guys spend a lot of time tweaking every tiny detail, then we spend days on finding the right amount of compression - and then GT reencodes everything and f***s the gamma up, too.

on my comp I've set Far Cry to 2xQ AA, with transparency supersampling (I only have a 7600GT which is similar in a way to PS3's GPU. you may try it if you have an nvidia board). It looks good and runs fast. Doom 3 is the other game where I use 2xQ. high res, high IQ and high framerate.

I can't blame devs for using 2xQ on console, it's a pretty interesting trade off in some cases. It's awful in older games but okay in "high tech" games full of normal maps, shadows etc.

The download size would only matter if they redid all the textures to at least 1k x 1k. Setting the framebuffer to 1080p is mutually exclusive since it's a 3D game.

There is a demo availble for Magna Carta 2 on the Japanese marketplace. Would someone mind checking the res. It look a bit blury to me at least during the town portion. Once your on the field an agressive DOF kicks in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back