Image Quality and Framebuffer Speculations for WIP/alpha/beta/E3 games *Read the first post*

and no AA, low poly, bad texture filtering... ugly game

that's only for the battle part ;)

The game as a whole looks very beautiful, extremely sharp when it's HD.

In fact I'd like you to have a look at some of its HD shots to see what sort of AA they're using here

http://www3.telus.net/public/dhwag/SO4HD.jpg

http://www3.telus.net/public/dhwag/SO4HD2.jpg

http://www3.telus.net/public/dhwag/SO4HD3.jpg

No conventional MSAA for sure, from visible halo effect on the edges, I'm suspecting the game to initially blur the frame buffer, and then sharpen it to achieve some sort of AA effect.

Actually Ikaruga on xbox "Ikaruga = 540x720 (4xAA, centered on 1280x720 frame)" should be the lowest on any system. 540x720=388800 pixels.

(Info taken from the "List of Game Rendering Resolutions + some info on the hardware scaling" thread.)

Well, those 720p shots show enough AA to make a 1920x1080p mode possible, and graphically the game doesn't look too exciting in terms of effects, removing further theoretical barriers. So it's possible, but we'll have to wait and see.

Actually Ikaruga on xbox "Ikaruga = 540x720 (4xAA, centered on 1280x720 frame)" should be the lowest on any system. 540x720=388800 pixels.

(Info taken from the "List of Game Rendering Resolutions + some info on the hardware scaling" thread.)
Yes, but that's because Ikaruga has that kind of aspect ratio, not because of technical reasons -- the pixels are mapped 1:1. I don't think it's comparable at all (also, it has 4xAA!).

I'm no longer with the developer, but yes, the renderer always runs in 1080p. This is then downscaled to the scan-out resolution.

And in the final release there will be shadows in the dungeons. Promised. ;)

Hi,

thank you for your reply. ;)

Is that true for both, PS3 and Xbox 360?

If you say '1080p', do you mean full 1920 x 1080p for both PS3 and Xbox 360? Or 1080p output upscaled from 960 x 1080p or 1280 x 1080p or something like that?

And what about AA and framerate? :D;)

PS: why aren't they releasing 1080p screenshots then?

Last edited by a moderator:
That quote about the advanced lighting techniques opening up new track possibilities is the caption for this screenshot. Very misleading if the shot's not at least rendered by the Ego Engine with in game assets. They're showcasing new graphical techniques that will directly affect gameplay and yet the screen is a bullshot at best, completely faked at worst (more likely IMO, DiRT didn't look anywhere near that good on my PC with all settings beyond max and 16xQCSAA. I mean there's just no way even with 32xSSOMGWTFAA the game could look that good :nope:).

Dirt 2 First Look

Are these even bullshots?
http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/949/949705/imgs_1.html

IGN's pawning them off as in game (or at least bullshots), but somehow I doubt it..

Referencing this shot...

If so then Codemasters just surpassed Epic as master of the bullshot. :LOL:

Pure bullshots unless they have intention to make the PC version stand out by doing a 'Crysis challenger/killer' -AA!.. or maybe not. I just get the same DiRT vibes and OP2 bullshot/artwork 'presented as ingame' sensation.

Ahh, well IGN made no mention of those being 'target shots', which got me wondering. Thanks.

Is that true for both, PS3 and Xbox 360?

If you say '1080p', do you mean full 1920 x 1080p for both PS3 and Xbox 360? Or 1080p output upscaled from 960 x 1080p or 1280 x 1080p or something like that?

Yes, yes, no.

And what about AA and framerate? :D;)

As I said, the renderer always runs at 1080p (Don't let anyone fool you! 1080p is 1920x1080. Everything else isn't!). So if you scan out at 1080p, you don't get AA. If you're playing on an SD set, you get a lot of FSAA. Framerate should be 30fps.

PS: why aren't they releasing 1080p screenshots then?
I think they did at some time. But I have no clue about marketing material. I'm sure there's a reason.

Yes, yes, no.

Thanks for your reply :D.

(Don't let anyone fool you! 1080p is 1920x1080. Everything else isn't!).

I know. At least it should.

But most readers of this forum should know that 'HD' (whether it is 720p or 1080p) on PS3 and Xbox 360 unfortunately is not always 'HD', if you know what i mean :D.

Furthermore, to be precisely, even Blu-ray Disc and AVCHD specifications allow 1440 x 1080i / 1440 x 1080p (anamorphic) video encoding for 1080i / 1080p output :eek:.

;)

Back