Image Quality and Framebuffer Analysis for Available/release build Games *Read the first post*

Why because Joystiq says so? It's not true until B3D or Digital Foundry confirms it.
it says an official Atari press release.

If this is really the case will be proven soon I guess, but the validity of the patch shouldn't be questioned now which is why I posted the link.

it says an official Atari press release.

If this is really the case will be proven soon I guess, but the validity of the patch shouldn't be questioned now which is why I posted the link.

Atari is the same who said through terminal reality of the ps3 version limited just of the others platform :rolleyes: I'm glad if true but I doubt is a slight increase of resolution.

I'd like to remind some that this is an analysis thread and so far there is nothing to analyze. Just because PR says something doesn't make it necessarily true hence the existence of this thread and particular discussion. As others have already pointed out, we ought to wait for some screen captures.

It does look significantly sharper, though (I'm playing it right now). I'm guessing slight bump in resolution and maybe regular MSAA instead of QAA. It still doesn't look like 720p. On the flip side there's an awful lot of flickering going on with the specular maps right now, especially on the proton pack. (but maybe it was just buried under the blurry picture before)

Lens of true site has done an interesting comparison with the two version. It seems to compensate SSAO absence on the ps3 version there are better self shadowing. Not mentioned particular difference in the tearing. But probable the 360 hit the ps3 version. UE3 tend to be better on the 360, it isn't a surprise.

From what I can tell, the 360 might be handling these particular shadows via SSAO.

thats bollux, I hope you didnt get your info from this article
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3591

No, its from personal experience more than anything, but yes that article explains the situation quite nicely. Triple buffering will all but get rid of the performance impact associated with standard double buffer vsync in exchange for a little extra memory, I've seen the evidence plain as day in dozens of PC games I've used it with. Something like Crysis will go from pretty much unplayable to perfectly smooth, by simply enabling triple buffering, it can have a huge impact on performance in games that drop frames.

If its "bollux" then what exactly do you believe the purpose of triple buffering is if its not to increase performance in v locked games?

No, its from personal experience more than anything, but yes that article explains the situation quite nicely. Triple buffering will all but get rid of the performance impact associated with standard double buffer vsync in exchange for a little extra memory, I've seen the evidence plain as day in dozens of PC games I've used it with. Something like Crysis will go from pretty much unplayable to perfectly smooth, by simply enabling triple buffering, it can have a huge impact on performance in games that drop frames.

If its "bollux" then what exactly do you believe the purpose of triple buffering is if its not to increase performance in v locked games?

He maybe means your achieved minimum framerate with vsync + triple buffering will be lower than without vsync as it cannot drop frames to acheive higher framerate. However not using triplebuffering with vsync would mean you get 30 fps if your system cant sustain a 60fps (60Hz monitor) framerate even if it is capable of a constant 59.5-60fps. Or 20fps instead of 30fps even if capable of doing 29.5fps .

Anyway when vsync is enabled there is no excuse to ditch triple buffering unless one wants the system to not be utilised and mostly idle. For example witcher does either 30fps or 60fps depending on situation with vsync however with D3Doverrider and forced triple buffering it is pretty much a solid 58-60fps experience. Same with Crysis. With just vsync and double buffering I get awlays 20 or 30fps but with triple buffering I get anywhere between 25-50fps (DX10 1440x900 4xAA UHQ).

Vsync off = "poor mans choice"
No triple buffering solution with vsync = Dumb unless system limitations prohibite the use of it

Last edited by a moderator:
The difference with triple buffering with v-sync vs double buffering without v-sync is that you inject, - on average, half a frame of latency into the user-input - update - display chain.

For 60Hz DVI/HDMI connected displays this amounts to 8ms which is noticable enough in twitch first person shooters.

Cheers

You have to see it in motion... a screenshot isn't going to show you the temporal artifacting there... It's not just a case of low res shadowing. Even the self-shadows on Batman exhibit SSAO artifacts.
Well, I have try the demo and the shadowing is better on the ps3. The worsen artifacts on 360 shadows isn't a news. ;)

Well, I have try the demo and the shadowing is better on the ps3. The worsen artifacts on 360 shadows isn't a news. ;)

Fair enough, just commenting on what the shadow res issue appears to be. :) SSAO is not a perfect replacement/compensator, but it may be cheaper in performance (in this implementation, assisting self-shadowing).

Hmm, the SSAO isn't noticeable at all in that 360 pic. It must not be enabled on all surfaces/character models at once. Or the implementation is too subtle in this case.

Seems like there're a lot of misconceptions going on here regarding triple buffering.

Here're some facts

1. triple buffering does not affect frame rate performance.

2. double buffering with v-sync does however, because GPU stalls once back buffer is complete (no more buffers to fill in) until next update that's synced to the 60hz refresh rate.

3. turning v-sync off does not improve your frame rate performance, what it basically does is recovering what's lost by the v-sync GPU stall mentioned above.

4. triple buffering does not add more input latency over double buffering with v-sync which is the case with the most games out there.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3591&p=2

I recommend this article for more info

Seems like there're a lot of misconceptions going on here regarding triple buffering.

Here're some facts

4. triple buffering does not add more input latency over double buffering with v-sync which is the case with the most games out there.

Plainly wrong. With triple buffering the graphics hardware sits on the completed frame until vertical blank. This means scan out of this fresh frame, on average, is delayed the time it takes to scanout half a frame (8ms @ 60Hz).

Cheers

Back