Image Quality and Framebuffer Analysis for Available/release build Games *Read the first post*

Revenge is 720p with the entire image downscaled a touch with a black border. Do a search and I'm sure you'll find the details because it was discussed here before.

thanks for the replies regarding burnout revenge, i looked at the game again and do notice small black borders on the sides.

though i can't find the exact post that mentions this in the search, this does seem odd.

so its a 1280x720 render res with black pixels padded/taking up some of those pixels? the image and text certainly doesn't look blurry or overly filtered from a slight downscale...

Downscale won't introduce blur. It will add AA, though none worth talking about with a minimal downscale.

i looked at the game again and do notice small black borders on the sides.

Black bars are a sign that the developers have decided to cater to the majority of users who have TV overscan. Afterall, why render or produce an image with up to 10% of the image not being seen by most? So if you do not see the black border, it is because your TV has overscanned (zoomed in slightly) on the signal.

Developers can either render at a lower resolution while outputting 1:1 aspect ratio scaling for 720p (save on pixel rendering or memory) or they can render the 720p frame and downscale the frame; most users will then be seeing the frame of the shot as intended. Some games will let you toggle an option for overscan (rock band) or allow one to adjust the black borders.

That was the first half of the sentence. ;)

Why is the word 'scaling' in this sentence then? ;)

Developers can either render at a lower resolution while outputting 1:1 aspect ratio scaling for 720p

The first part of your sentence sounds as if you mean rendering at 1152 x 648 (for example) (or whichever 'sub HD' resolution) and scaling straight to 720p (1280 x 720) for output, which would retain 1:1 aspect ratio, yes, but has nothing to do with black borders/centering on window and it would not retain 1:1 pixel display/output.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is the word 'scaling' in this sentence then? ;)

The first part of your sentence sounds as if you mean rendering at 1152 x 648 (for example) (or whichever 'sub HD' resolution) and scaling straight to 720p (1280 x 720) for output, which would retain 1:1 aspect ratio, yes, but has nothing to do with black borders/centering on window and it would not retain 1:1 pixel display/output.

Because there aren't any 1280x720p TVs, which are typically 1360/1365/1366 * 768. With 1:1 AR scaling it was meant to be implied that the custom resolution was not scaled for 720p output and that the pixel representations were as is within the 720p frame, which is then scaled up to 136x * 768.

Because there aren't any 1280x720p TVs, which are typically 1360/1365/1366 * 768. With 1:1 AR scaling it was meant to be implied that the custom resolution was not scaled for 720p output and that the pixel representations were as is within the 720p frame, which is then scaled up to 136x * 768.

A minor nitpick since most '720p' sets are ~1366*768 as you note, but there are some true 720p sets out there. But maybe none sold today.

Why do we still deal with overscan on digital displays with digital signals?

Why do we still deal with overscan on digital displays with digital signals?

Unfortunately because sometimes some signals (mostly SD TV channels) make it more or less 'necessary'.

Even if you have digital TV broadcast and HDMI connection.

For other sources there is no real reason for an overscan to exist though.

Last edited by a moderator:
so burnout revenge is rendered at 1280x720, but the entire render is (before output) downscaled? via a digital video process or an analog one before ultimately being displayed?

i would think just outputting a clean 1280x720 frame with no scaling (edge to edge) to be upscaled by the TV to 1366x768 (or whatever) and instead not putting any critical info in a certain percentage of the screen at the edges, makes more sense other than the fact that you are rendering some more pixels

it seems most 360 games don't do this (as BO:R apparently does), though i thought i read Guitar Hero II also has it

Yes that is correct. As we keep saying, it's rendering 720p then applying a small downscale, creating a black border. The effect was only in Revenge - it was removed in Paradise.

Has the resolution for either version of RE5 been determined (from "rough" the looks of it, it's 720p with QAA on PS3 and 2X MSAA on 360) Also grandmaster, are you planning on doing a meticulous comparison of the two?

Has the resolution for either version of RE5 been determined (from "rough" the looks of it, it's 720p with QAA on PS3 and 2X MSAA on 360) Also grandmaster, are you planning on doing a meticulous comparison of the two?

Check the unreleased games thread. The gist of it is that both are 720p, and it appears they are using their dynamic AA implementation to keep the framerate stable. So it switches between 0x and QAA on PS3, 0-4x on 360.

It's ongoing. Based on my results so far (or lack of them), I can see it as being quite a lengthy endevour, though hopefully not as long as the dual-millenia quest for the real Grail ;)

It's kinda a little bit offtopic, but when we shall see "Grail Quest" of Crysis @ 1080p/60 captures ? :)

I believe Nebula, our resident keyboard warrior, has done some Crysis ultra-high quality video caps. If he hasn't yet, I'm sure he'd be able to help you out.

Back