Ie 7

I could see me using IE7 if not for the terribly slow tab opening behaviour I see. Opening a link in a new tab should not be that slow.

Its obviously not. Its meant specifically for IE to read it, and if IE cant then its obviously not "valid". Haha. It doesnt matter if you THINK it should be valid, if it doesnt work how you THINK it should work, then it doesnt work, and you should go learn how to do it properly, before bitching at the company that made the software. If you know that something is broken, learn how to fix it yourself.
It very obviously is a valid HTML comment. It starts with <!-- and ends with -->. Even IE needs to decide what it is, and if it doesn't attach any further extended meaning to it, so be it, but there is absolutely no reason to dump a valid HTML comment to output as plain text.

As for your "One CSS for all, no problems", yeah, sure, if you use a very specific set of features that might work. But if you're not aware of any bugs in IE you're ignoring an awful lot of them. I won't do table layouts ever again, not for the five per cent of people who still care.

Well, every time I see this debate pop up, I have to peep my affection for Maxthon. The g/f got a new Vista laptop and overall we're pretty impressed with how prett is, and it's pretty snappy. However, IE7 didn't last too long. We've got Maxthon on it now and will probably never look back... for those that don't know it's just a tabbed version of IE. The interface is as close to IE's and it gets, and it's got a fair amount of features to tweak and pretty good plugin support. Firefox always seems tempting with its plugin support, but I can't get the will up to test it, most of the time. I had issues with it and Opera before and probably won't switch back to one of them until Maxthon gives me problems.

Indeed... And with 2.0 final released soon, I think more people will discover the power of Maxthon. There's a chance I will be at the release party in Beijing when 2.0 is released actually. Being a long time core user of Maxthon, some of us are going to be invited to china and visit the Maxthon HQ :)

Isn't Maxthon just a new skin/GUI for the IE engine?
So any fundamental flaws with the browser would still exist with Maxthon would they not?
Peace.

Isn't Maxthon just a new skin/GUI for the IE engine?
So any fundamental flaws with the browser would still exist with Maxthon would they not?
Peace.

Nope, several IE-issues has not affected Maxthon. Maxthon 2 has, on top of everything a built in proxy which a user can write his own filters for. Filters that renders the ani-bug useless was already out before the bug was "in the wild".

As for your "One CSS for all, no problems", yeah, sure, if you use a very specific set of features that might work. But if you're not aware of any bugs in IE you're ignoring an awful lot of them. I won't do table layouts ever again, not for the five per cent of people who still care.

No, like I said, I make very complex sites that work in all browsers. I dont care that youve found a long list of things that dont work. We KNOW they dont work. So, it takes a few minutes to do it "right", not hacky, but simple attributes that are valid for all browsers. The only two real problems on that list are the box model and the float model, both of which are amazingly easy to fix if you think about it for a minute, without extra markup. The rest of the problem exist, sure, but can be overcome by simply making the site well made in the first place.

If you want to carry on whinging about how it doesnt work, when you as the site maker can easily fix it then thats fine. It just means youre lazy and not in any way a proper dev. You dont see a house builder making walls out of wet clay bricks, cos its not gonna work. Similarly, you as the dev know your limitations, learn to work with them instead of bitching about a couple of small issues.

There's one site that I'm aware of that doesn't work properly on IE7, http://www.darkportal.net
It does "work", but it's often slow, image archives take ages to load and if you hover your mouse to a wrong place (your own profile, which drops down a menu with your chars) the images shown in image archive disappear etc

No, like I said, I make very complex sites that work in all browsers. I dont care that youve found a long list of things that dont work. We KNOW they dont work. So, it takes a few minutes to do it "right", not hacky, but simple attributes that are valid for all browsers. The only two real problems on that list are the box model and the float model, both of which are amazingly easy to fix if you think about it for a minute, without extra markup. The rest of the problem exist, sure, but can be overcome by simply making the site well made in the first place.

If you want to carry on whinging about how it doesnt work, when you as the site maker can easily fix it then thats fine. It just means youre lazy and not in any way a proper dev. You dont see a house builder making walls out of wet clay bricks, cos its not gonna work. Similarly, you as the dev know your limitations, learn to work with them instead of bitching about a couple of small issues.
It's great that you think you're a "proper" dev and I'm not. I will not invest the time and energy it takes to find out about all the issues and all the workarounds for the issues. If you say it takes you minutes to correct layouts, you're probably ignoring the past weeks and months of research and experimentation that got you to that point. Great for you that it's behind you already but I won't bother at this time. The statistics tell me IE6 is on the way out anyway, and a little pain for the stragglers is a good motivator to switch already.

Re the comment thing, I'll try and make it very clear and be done with it forever:
What's a browser to do when it encounters this code:
<!--[if banana mango horse]>Phones!<![ring ring]-->
That's either a comment or a conditional. Decide now. It can't be neither.

I only stop supporting a program when official support for it stops. Until then, YOU have no idea of its usage.

Firefox 7101535 57.7 %
MS IE 3950845 32.1 %
- Msie 7.0 1700361 13.8 %
- Msie 6.0 2243932 18.2 %

This is one of my sites, a very tech savvy user site. But still, 1 in 5 people use IE6. I dont know about you, but I believe that 20% of my visitors is "worth the effort". On any other of my sites I care to look at, I'd bet that IE6 would be 30-40% of usage. Well done if you dont care about your users. I do.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is two issues that keep me from using Opera.

1.) It just does not feel right. Something about the behavior each time I've given it a go in the past really just kept me away.The most annoying part possibly is the bookmark's. You can not right click them and choose either open in the current tab or another, you simply can only click them and open in another tab. That's simply annoying. There's other similar instances as well. With Opera I just feel a bit closed and without as many choices in interaction with the browser.

I can right click my bookmarks and choose:

open (in current tab)
open in a new tab
open in a background tab
open in a a new window
open in a background window

I can also left click a bookmark to open in the current tab or wheel-click to open in a new tab. So I don't know why you can't.

2.) Lack of plug-ins. Each time I look at these "widgets" and just laugh. Of course there's a few other basically pathetic attempts at giving Opera plug-ins, but to be put simply they all suck with ease of use and maintaining. Opera simply does not have everything I need out of the box and then there's really nowhere to go for those things. With Firefox I can build it up and make a backup of my folders and be ready to go right away each and every time, bookmarks AND plug-ins included.

It's hard for me to argument this point since Opera does everything I want without any external tools. I don't even use Widgets...

As for Internet Explorer 7. It's prettier and it finally has tabs and zoom (two features that made me switch to Opera a looooooong time ago). Other than that I haven't used it enough to see what's changed, most importantly, I didn't see any features either Opera or Firefox lack.

Using where? Again, I refuse to use panels, there's no reason I should have to give away have my browsing space for something that should be included on the personal bar. On my monitor (22" widescreen, 1680x1050) I keep my browser has half the screen and then the other half as work space. If I have the panel open then its impossible to browse as I constantly use my bookmarks.

Using where? Again, I refuse to use panels, there's no reason I should have to give away have my browsing space for something that should be included on the personal bar. On my monitor (22" widescreen, 1680x1050) I keep my browser has half the screen and then the other half as work space. If I have the panel open then its impossible to browse as I constantly use my bookmarks.

<shrug> I use panels and don't give up my browsing space since you can show/hide them with a click. You can also put your bookmarks inside a tab if you want. Same number of clicks as selecting from the menu too.

Hmm, I wonder if anyone knows what the hell this is...

Occasionally, (Or should I say... very often) browsing will grind to a halt, and my hdd will get absolutely thrashed. It does this for a while, a minute at least, and almost always when a site loads up that uses a large amount of flash (even if i've had more intensive sites open before). While it's molesting both itself and my hdd, it's memory usage usually jumps from about 8-15mb to ~35/40mb.

Could this be a problem with my flash install (latest version) or something else i'm missing? :???:

Indeed... And with 2.0 final released soon, I think more people will discover the power of Maxthon. There's a chance I will be at the release party in Beijing when 2.0 is released actually. Being a long time core user of Maxthon, some of us are going to be invited to china and visit the Maxthon HQ :)

Man, that's so cool, I had no idea. All this time -- I've been so close to them! Wow, I hope you go. Mainland China is a fantastic experience, if you haven't been! Have some jian bing, and Uighur food, for me! ;_;

Both Flash and PDF seem to be disaster areas for smooth browsing on the web.
Acrobat crashed my IE the other day.

All I could do was scroll the damn PDF up and down nothing else would work including the close button in the upper corner of the IE window.

I had to kill the damn thing through the task manager. I'm now seriously looking at uninstalling acrobat for being a crappy programmed and unstable resource hog.

Sometimes you WISH for microsoft to kill off a competitor so you don't have to deal with their damn buggy shit anymore.. *sigh*
Peace.

For anyone wanting to uninstall Acrobat Reader, do so immediately and install FoxIt Reader. Your PC will thank you for it!

Man, that's so cool, I had no idea. All this time -- I've been so close to them! Wow, I hope you go. Mainland China is a fantastic experience, if you haven't been! Have some jian bing, and Uighur food, for me! ;_;

It's a small world sometimes :p

Latest (internal) version of Maxthon 2.0 looks like this.
m2.png

Back