How would you like to die?

Shogun said:
Wouldn't gravitational time dilation mean a black hole would actualy kill you very slowly?
Well, you never actually feel time dilation. It's merely an effect that changes how we perceive clocks moving in other situations. We would always see a clock sitting right next to us ticking away at "normal" speed.

But, anyway, if we were to collide with a black hole, we'd most likely be killed off by the high temperatures that result from our planet becoming, or joining, the accretion disk of the black hole (if we survive the breakup of the planet due to tidal stresses).

Much more likely than actually being swallowed, though, would be just the object passing close enough to the Earth to disrupt its orbit. Too much disruption and we'd either be cooked from moving too close to the sun, or freeze from moving too far away.

But the chances of a black hole coming anywhere near us in the next billion years are pretty near enough zero that nobody cares.

K.I.L.E.R said:
I hate anything that comes from space because it will always result in the death of me.
I'd rather die of being raped by 100 monkeys than hit by an asteroid or a black hole.

Yeah, but we don't always get what we want I'm afraid. Sometimes you just have to accept that there's a space-borne mega-killer out there with your name written on it in letters 100km high. Ho hum. That's life (or death).

/me looks to the skies. YIKES!!!! WHASSATT!??!!1! RUN PEOPLE!!!

Do you like giving me nightmares?
I already have had horrible nightmares about me falling off the moon.

Chalnoth said:
Well, you never actually feel time dilation. It's merely an effect that changes how we perceive clocks moving in other situations. We would always see a clock sitting right next to us ticking away at "normal" speed.

But, anyway, if we were to collide with a black hole, we'd most likely be killed off by the high temperatures that result from our planet becoming, or joining, the accretion disk of the black hole (if we survive the breakup of the planet due to tidal stresses).

Much more likely than actually being swallowed, though, would be just the object passing close enough to the Earth to disrupt its orbit. Too much disruption and we'd either be cooked from moving too close to the sun, or freeze from moving too far away.

But the chances of a black hole coming anywhere near us in the next billion years are pretty near enough zero that nobody cares.

Chalnoth said:

I would imagine that people would die pretty quicly if the earth was pulled out of orbit or perhaps the air would all get sucked away.

rwolf said:
I would imagine that people would die pretty quicly if the earth was pulled out of orbit or perhaps the air would all get sucked away.
Nah, the air getting sucked away just won't happen.

Being attacked by a Great White or Tiger Shark while diving. I'll have my dive knife out and as the shark is chowing down on my legs im gonna stab a hole in the fuckers underside, take my reg out my mouth shove it in the hole and pump that fucker full of air dragging us up to the surface and causing the shark to pop ... but not before its taken my legs clean off and the rapid assent has caused my lungs to collapse leaking air into my chest and neck ... and as i float on the surface choking, gasping for breath and becoming increasingly light headed by the loss of blood ... ill have the satisfaction of knowing i died doing something i love ... and that i brought the shark down with me.

Something along those lines anyway ... but perhaps without my lungs popping, probably the worst thing that can happen while diving ... and it would be bloody painfull

I had a family member go from a blood clot and I have decided that would be an all right we to die. There were smiling and chatting and then they said "O god, it hurts" at least were all assuming because speaking faster then normal speed she only got out, "O god, it hur..." and she was dead... I think as far as going someway "non-dramatic" that’s a pretty good way to do it, I doubt if you were asleep you would even have time to wake up... Like they said, dieing doesn't hurt; it's getting there that sucks.

I however would, in a perfect world, be warned of my impending death, and be able to jump off a building or something I wouldn't do if I though I was going to live for any longer... I would trade my last few seconds for spending the last minute or so doing something fun... Now that I think about it sky diving without a parachute sounds like a lot of fun... Messy... But fun :).

Chalnoth said:

Then I'll just have to mak-

...nevermind. ;)

Jim Norton said:
I will kill myself. And when my tainted spirit finds its destination, I will topple the master of that dark place. From my black throne, I will lash together a machine of bone and blood, and fueled by my hatred, this fear machine will bore a hole between this world and that one. When it begins you will hear the sound of children screaming- as though from a great distance. A smoking orb of nothing will grow above your heads, and from it will emerge a thousand starving crows. As I slip through the widening maw in my new form, you will catch only a glimpse of my radiance before you are incinerated. Then, as tears of bubbling pitch stream down my face, my dark work will begin.

I will open one of my six mouths, and sing the song that ends the Earth.
That sounds extremely familar to anyone who reads penny arcade.

Edit:
Oh I see someone else beat me to it, sorry...

I have a new idea on how to die.
My nv100 gets so hot that it lights up the house while I'm playing Quake 50.

K.I.L.E.R said:
I have a new idea on how to die.
My nv100 gets so hot that it lights up the house while I'm playing Quake 50.

And you just know it'll be the same damn space marine story over again.

Back