How would you like to die?

Immortality -- how boring. Just think about it. Contemplate it for 10 minutes if you like or a day, a decade, millenium etc. To be able to live as long as you like sounds tempting but only if you can also terminate your life at some point. And I bet most people would 'turn themselves off' rather quickly say after a couple of years of boredom, give or take a century, or after the 20th divorce, the 200th re-run of STTNG etc....

I would like to be completely unaware of my impending death.

I will kill myself. And when my tainted spirit finds its destination, I will topple the master of that dark place. From my black throne, I will lash together a machine of bone and blood, and fueled by my hatred, this fear machine will bore a hole between this world and that one. When it begins you will hear the sound of children screaming- as though from a great distance. A smoking orb of nothing will grow above your heads, and from it will emerge a thousand starving crows. As I slip through the widening maw in my new form, you will catch only a glimpse of my radiance before you are incinerated. Then, as tears of bubbling pitch stream down my face, my dark work will begin.

I will open one of my six mouths, and sing the song that ends the Earth.

Hit by a car, heart attack, in my sleep, shot in the chest, stab wound, slit wrists

Chalnoth said:
Be sure to shoot yourself in the gut. This will give you the fullest experience.
How do you know? ;)
:p

Well, from what I hear, being shot in the gut is the longest, most painful way to die from a gunshot wound :)

Curt said:
Immortality -- how boring. Just think about it. Contemplate it for 10 minutes if you like or a day, a decade, millenium etc. To be able to live as long as you like sounds tempting but only if you can also terminate your life at some point. And I bet most people would 'turn themselves off' rather quickly say after a couple of years of boredom, give or take a century, or after the 20th divorce, the 200th re-run of STTNG etc....
Human immortality... immortality is much more interesting when you pair it with godhood. Knowing there is no end, one could grow so much, see so much, experience so much, absorb so much... I don't know how it could ever get boring, that is, unless that is what I wanted.

That's how it'd always be, if you so wanted it.

Well, I don't think immortality would be boring at all. We always live day to day anyway.

I think the real problems with immortality are practical ones:
1. Reproduction: it would have to almost completely cease, with only the occasional child here and there in the case of accidental death.

2. Mental illness: what do you do with a person who goes nuts?

3. Evolution: we have the capacity through selective breeding-type stuff to alter human evolution. This would be made much, much harder if people were immortal: without reproduction, we would be limited to modifying people as they are.

4. Advancement: most people who make significant breakthroughs do it when they are young. What will happen when the entire population is old?

I mean, I would love to be able to see and experience the entirety of human history, from the far past to the far future, but I don't think that immortality would be viable, even if at some point in the future we obtained the technology to make it reality.

I would like to die by being hit by an asteroid the size of the moon. It would comfort me to know that you all are going to die with me. :)

Curt said:

Nope, I'd have loads of fun :)

Jessica Alba, Eva Longoria, Paz Vega, maybe a few select others, some whipped cream, body chocolate, hot tub, etc, nuff said.

Jim Norton said:
I will kill myself. And when my tainted spirit finds its destination, I will topple the master of that dark place. From my black throne, I will lash together a machine of bone and blood, and fueled by my hatred, this fear machine will bore a hole between this world and that one. When it begins you will hear the sound of children screaming- as though from a great distance. A smoking orb of nothing will grow above your heads, and from it will emerge a thousand starving crows. As I slip through the widening maw in my new form, you will catch only a glimpse of my radiance before you are incinerated. Then, as tears of bubbling pitch stream down my face, my dark work will begin.

I will open one of my six mouths, and sing the song that ends the Earth.

Some of us might like to consider switching to decaf...

I could tell you how I don't want to die....

- Ebola
- Flesh eating bacteria
- Burns
- Being Eaten
- Anything else involving pain, suffering, or humiliation.

Can you please change your attitude?
I hate anything that comes from space because it will always result in the death of me.
I'd rather die of being raped by 100 monkeys than hit by an asteroid or a black hole.

rwolf said:
I would like to die by being hit by an asteroid the size of the moon. It would comfort me to know that you all are going to die with me. :)

K.I.L.E.R said:
Can you please change your attitude?
I hate anything that comes from space because it will always result in the death of me.
I'd rather die of being raped by 100 monkeys than hit by an asteroid or a black hole.

I don't get that. An asteroid would be quick. So would a black hole. But 100 monkeys would take a long time.

Back