How can an American console company succeed in Japan *spinoff

It is your opinion. It's impossible to qualify "best" for any sort of art or entertainment except on a very personal level.

Is it fact that Britney Spears was the absolute best singer at the height of her popularity? And thus all other singers of the time were clearly inferior and thus why they didn't sell as many albums? :)

By the same reasoning, COD: BO is by far the best game made for consoles this generation for PS3/X360 right as it appears to have completely blown away the past sales record by COD: MW2? I'm guessing you'd have people with a differing opinion.

Regards,
SB

I said the competition is better and i speaked for the majority (ya i knew that there are even japanese people who preffer a 360).
The majority thinks the other products are better therefore they have more sales. I just don't buy the japanese are racist and they hate Microsoft crap cause that's just an excuse.
That was the meaning behind, "the competition is just better".

Yes and no. Traditionally, I don't think American cars are competitive internationally because of the exchange rates and other reasons. European cars tend to be more expensive. Dealership charge too much. The servicing and parts are usually more expensive than Japanese cars. Given the reliability, fuel economy, Japanese cars are extremely popular in other Asian countries, and even globally.

At the high end, price and fuel economy don't matter as much. The European luxury cars together with Lexus are more popular. The more exclusive/expensive/luxurious, the better. But US made cars are missing out again.

Hyundai is also popular in other Asian countries for similar reasons.

China and Japan are more nationalistic. China requires foreign car makers to set up joint venture with majority Chinese ownership. They form the bulk of the consumer car market, compared to fully local ones.

The Japanese domestic car industry is very competitive. There are local models, not intended for other markets. If you want to sell there, you may want to beat them in other markets first.

Speaking to the last bit. Ford, for example does quite well in some other Asian countries. Taiwan for example has quite a few pacific rim model Fords (shared with Australia). And there they go toe to toe with Toyota while I believe all other Japanese automakers trail behind both Toyota and Ford. I believe Hyundai is in the top 3 there also. And pretty much non-existant in Japan. This isn't based on numbers, BTW, so I could be wrong. I'm just commenting on the eye test by looking at Traffic composition the last few times I've been there to visit family. The difference is very striking compared to Japan.

And that has to do a lot with Taiwan being far more open to foreign products (both people on a personal level and the country on a governmental level) than Japan and even all other Asian countries.

It may have more to do with branding, trust, marketing than nationalism. The younger generation don't hate Koreans. Sometimes, consumers don't know who owns the company anyway (like your 7-11 example above)

Oy! Yeah, I didn't even know 7-11 wasn't an American company anymore. :) But it was quite well established as the number one convenience store chain even before the Japanese took over in 1991.

And yes, newer generations of Japanese are less intolerant of other Asians, but in general other Asians are still treated as a lower class in Japan and resistance to their products and corporations is still higher than resistance to American products.

While iPod does well in Japan, it tanked in Korea because their consumers prefer devices with lots of features compared to simple, gimped ones.

As I said, there are always exceptions. And the iPod had an easier time of it as most Japanese companies were mired in releasing some pretty crappy MP3 players at the time. The best MP3 players were being produced in Korea by Korean companies (like iRiver), back when Japan was even less tolerant of products from other Asian countries. Thus making it far easier for iPod to gain acceptance as they were less resistant to American products than Korean ones.

As well, explaining why it did quite a bit worse in Korea where there was less resistance to Korean products and more resistance to American products. :)

That's true but in Asian countries with no such tariffs, American products may not sell well too. The exchange rate/pricing, design may not fit local needs. Traditionally, many American companies don't rely on Asian markets. Many bought local companies because it's easier and quicker to bootstrap there. Similarly when an Asian company wants to enter US market, they may also buy an existing US company to get in.

This comment applies to this and Shifty's reply above. :) I'm actually not sure if Japan imposes tariffs, but I know that South Korea does. Anyway, I was commenting on a combination of tariffs and government restrictions, roadblocks, and requirements that make it virtually impossible to sell many foreign products in Asian countries. Japan in particular have so many subjective qualifications for things and so many requirements and roadblocks that it is virtually impossible to sell many American made goods in Japan. It's even worse for other Asian countries trying to get product into Japan.

Basically unless there's a shortage of the product being produced in Japan (Rice and Beef for example), it has to be something iconic (Coca-Cola for example), a high demand luxury item, or sold through a Japanese corporation as their own product. Amusingly, many of the "sold on TV" type products are marketed and sold through Japanese corporations to get around governmental roadblocks. Outside of that it's extremely difficult to get the government to allow your product to be sold or marketed there.

And once you can get your product in, then you face the daunting task of convincing Japanese people to buy your product over a Japanese product if one is available. Although, interestingly enough there is one product segment where American product is actually favored over Japanese products. Health care products and Medicines. The Japanese interestingly enouogh trust American products in those segments more than Japanese ones. But that's a pretty big exception. As well, people often like to say that Japanese product is somehow superior to American product over, and that just isn't really true anymore. Both countries do most of the domestic product manufacturing in other countries like China, Malaysia, S.America, Africa, etc. With S.America and Africa potentially becoming the new China. Sort of like how manufacturing of products went Japan -> Taiwan/Malaysia -> China. Step into any Japanese department store and quality of product isn't much different from Sear or JCPennies or Walmart. Sames goes for Cars. Although here Japan does have a HUGE advantage in that their workers aren't overpaid Union workers and they don't have the stifling restrictions on automobiles that we have in the US.

Hell, it took decades before the Japanese government could be convinced to allow Australian Beef to be sold in Japan. And once it was, the Japanese were and continue to be very disparaging of the quality. It has to be sold significantly cheaper than Japanese beef to sell. Although here, there is something to it. I was amazed at how tough Aussie beef is compared to American and Japanese beef (which are generally on par, excepting Kobe beef which has no peer). Well at least the Aussie beef I tried in Japanese restaurants. Oh and yeah, Japan still won't allow American beef to be sold there last I checked. :p

Regards,
SB

Speaking to the last bit. Ford, for example does quite well in some other Asian countries. Taiwan for example has quite a few pacific rim model Fords (shared with Australia). And there they go toe to toe with Toyota while I believe all other Japanese automakers trail behind both Toyota and Ford. I believe Hyundai is in the top 3 there also. And pretty much non-existant in Japan. This isn't based on numbers, BTW, so I could be wrong. I'm just commenting on the eye test by looking at Traffic composition the last few times I've been there to visit family. The difference is very striking compared to Japan.

And that has to do a lot with Taiwan being far more open to foreign products (both people on a personal level and the country on a governmental level) than Japan and even all other Asian countries.

You can't use Ford's performance in Taiwan to interpret data for another country though. I believe Ford Taiwan is a joint-venture with a Taiwanese company. So they should understand the local market very well. I don't see Ford alone leading in other Asian countries, or even in Taiwan.

And yes, newer generations of Japanese are less intolerant of other Asians, but in general other Asians are still treated as a lower class in Japan and resistance to their products and corporations is still higher than resistance to American products.

Japan has always been self-sufficient. They speak their own language, produce high quality products that suit their local needs. Unless you can show them a better and more suitable product, there is no reason why they should sympathize with a foreign product.

As I said, there are always exceptions. And the iPod had an easier time of it as most Japanese companies were mired in releasing some pretty crappy MP3 players at the time. The best MP3 players were being produced in Korea by Korean companies (like iRiver), back when Japan was even less tolerant of products from other Asian countries. Thus making it far easier for iPod to gain acceptance as they were less resistant to American products than Korean ones.

They are not exceptions. They are just successful in entering the market. ^_^
In general, consumers don't suddenly switch their usage pattern when a company got bought by foreign entities. Some Middle East countries (vs US products) may be an exception.

[tariffs and market barriers ...]

There is no special tariffs on iPod, Xbox 360, Kinect right ?
Market barrier always exist. Even if a foreign company wants to sell to US, they face tariffs and barriers in different industries. e.g., Walmart may only talk to suppliers who supply to other US retailers for 3 years. This naturally cut out newcomers. You'll have to find your way in.

3DO is probably the only other one. Except that they used Japanese companies to build the units.
Ive never heard of them (but i wasnt following videogames at that time, like ive never seen a nes/snes etc) though the system seems to be a huge failure everywhere.
after some digging around the 3DO done better in japan than in the US
which absolutely destorys the argument japs dont buy the xbox since this console was american (Ill stick this myth in my sig i think)
nowadays the xbox + ps/wiis are built in china I think (outsourcing construction aint new)

why did the american 3do system relatively suceed in japan?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_3DO_games
look at the titles, a lot of targeted 'crappy' games to suit jap tastes. Exactly what I said they should of done with the xbox instead of going after a few high profile names/titles.
where are the japanese taste titles on the xbox? a handful of unknown IP RPG's is all I can think of

why did the american 3do system relatively suceed in japan?

Because by and large it was known as the Panasonic 3d0, most people thought it was a Japanese console. Which incidentally is what I feel Microsoft should have done with the 360, and sold it in Japan as say a Panasonic 360, do like 3d0 did and make it seem like a Japanese product and keep the Microsoft name away from it.

According to here, Matsushita has much more involvement/investment than just lending the name. ^_^

The initial sales in Japan was below expectation. Their limited success only came later after Matushita sunk in more marketing and development resources (plus price drop). Besides, at that time, Sanyo -- the other Japanese licensee -- didn't seem to do well selling 3DO. So, Matsushita might have done something right but not Sanyo.

If just lending a Japanese name will sell any American product in Japan, life would be a lot simpler for many people, both Japanese and Americans. ^_^

Partnering with a local company may be a better approach, but it's also hard work for the licensee (and less rewarding for the licensor).

EDIT: Again, it may be too early to judge Kinect and Move, although we tend to discuss their execution and current state of affairs.

Apple has no problems selling in Japan, because it appeals to everyone. Also, more Harley Davidson motorcycles are sold in Japan than Honda Civics.

You can't use Ford's performance in Taiwan to interpret data for another country though. I believe Ford Taiwan is a joint-venture with a Taiwanese company. So they should understand the local market very well. I don't see Ford alone leading in other Asian countries, or even in Taiwan.

In this case it is a relatively valid comparison however. And can be extended to other foreign made products.

Japan has always been self-sufficient. They speak their own language, produce high quality products that suit their local needs. Unless you can show them a better and more suitable product, there is no reason why they should sympathize with a foreign product.

That's the thing. Currently, Japanese products sold by Japanese corporations are generally the same quality as products sold by foreign corporations. Due to the fact that just like all other top tier economies, most of their product is actually made or many parts sourced from out of country (China, Malaysia, Africa, S.America, India, Singapore, etc...).

As such, even when foreign branded product is cheaper and same or better quality, it won't sell as well as a Japanese branded product generally.

However, the ongoing decades long recession there is finally starting to bring foreign product on a more even footing as cost becomes more and more of a factor. Even with that resistence to foreign branded product that isn't iconic is still rather large.

There is no special tariffs on iPod, Xbox 360, Kinect right ?
Market barrier always exist. Even if a foreign company wants to sell to US, they face tariffs and barriers in different industries. e.g., Walmart may only talk to suppliers who supply to other US retailers for 3 years. This naturally cut out newcomers. You'll have to find your way in.

The mention of Walmart does bring in one huge way that American companies can get their products sold in Japan. And that is by buying a Japanese Corporation and thus gaining an avenue into the Japanese market. Although to do well you still need to brand yourself with the Japanese brand. Walmart has controlling interest in Japanese department store chain Seiyu.

Ford was able to sell American made cars in Japan marketed under the Mazda brand. Same platform as US/Australian based Ford cars, but with the Mazda brand and they sold just peachy, where the Ford branded car couldn't make any headway.

Chevy had relatively less success selling US based Chevy cars under the Toyota umbrella however even with Japanese branding. But that has as much to do with Toyota's resistence to selling American made cars in Japan as lack in the cars themselves. This being more a partnership between the two companies rather than outright ownership as was the case for Mazda/Ford.

Regards,
SB

I agree that MS definitely have an uphill battle trying to succeed in Japan.

While with the Xbox you could have argued that it was poor product (especially the ridiculous controller) the 360 is definitely competitive and yet they have sold only 1 million consoles in 5 years - despite attractive pricing and agressive marketing by MS.

Japanese are notoriously nationalistic and xenophobic and it would be foolish to think that this plays no part in the 360's reception.

its funny how 14 of the top20 boxoffice films of alltime in japan are american!
(((interference))) - impossible!

patsu will be plesased miyazki has 4 in the top20

In this case it is a relatively valid comparison however. And can be extended to other foreign made products.

How so ?

That's the thing. Currently, Japanese products sold by Japanese corporations are generally the same quality as products sold by foreign corporations. Due to the fact that just like all other top tier economies, most of their product is actually made or many parts sourced from out of country (China, Malaysia, Africa, S.America, India, Singapore, etc...).

It depends on the products. >_<

... and perception is not a Japanese thing. I know for example Japanese made products (laptops, cars) are more expensive and preferred by some of my Asian friends in Singapore. Saying that all top tier economies have the same product quality is forgetting about the original 360 heating issues, Apple's antenna issues, Toyota's deadly acceleration incidents, or Sony's exploding batteries. It's case by case, product by product. The market instead of the race decides. As far as I can see, all else being equal, Americans prefer American products, Chinese prefer Chinese products, Japanese prefer Japanese products. Fortunately, products are designed and priced to differentiate.

It's hard to sell in Japan because of their existing market and channel structure. Their culture is also pretty different. From an Asian company's perspective, it's also hard to sell in US because of similar issues. I have heard fair share of complains from both sides.

The mention of Walmart does bring in one huge way that American companies can get their products sold in Japan. And that is by buying a Japanese Corporation and thus gaining an avenue into the Japanese market. Although to do well you still need to brand yourself with the Japanese brand. Walmart has controlling interest in Japanese department store chain Seiyu.

Ford was able to sell American made cars in Japan marketed under the Mazda brand. Same platform as US/Australian based Ford cars, but with the Mazda brand and they sold just peachy, where the Ford branded car couldn't make any headway.

Chevy had relatively less success selling US based Chevy cars under the Toyota umbrella however even with Japanese branding. But that has as much to do with Toyota's resistence to selling American made cars in Japan as lack in the cars themselves. This being more a partnership between the two companies rather than outright ownership as was the case for Mazda/Ford.

It's the same the other way round. ^_^
Foreign entities bought US companies to get into US too. It's a faster way to bootstrap, and you gain capability and the customer base right away -- if you can afford it.

its funny how 14 of the top20 boxoffice films of alltime in japan are american!
(((interference))) - impossible!

patsu will be plesased miyazki has 4 in the top20

Considering the size of the Japanese movie industry and the average budget of the films they do end up making, it isn't terribly surprising. Among Asian countries, only Hong Kong in its heyday could have come close to rivaling Hollywood. And even then their film budgets and film quality was only a fraction of Hollywood A-list titles and even B-grade movies in Hollywood often had larger budgets and better quality. :) Note - this doesn't mean that the best of Japanese Cinema isn't head and shoulders above some of the A-list drek that is made in Hollywood. But it does mean that it's highly unlikely for a Japanese movie producer to fund something like Titanic, Avatar, etc. Or necessarily have the same quality and worldwide appeal of something like Forrest Gump, Shindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, etc.

In comparing a relatively open and non-nationalistic Asian country to arguably the most closed and nationalistic Asian country (ignoring N.Korea for the purposes of this comparison). Only China is potentially more averse to foreign products.

Not only do products from America, Europe, and Australia do well there, products from other Asians countries, Korea for example, do quite well there. Taiwan and Japan are at opposite ends of the spectrum with regards to how open they are to foreign products, both from a governmental and personal perspective.

... and perception is not a Japanese thing. I know for example Japanese made products (laptops, cars) are more expensive and preferred by some of my Asian friends in Singapore. Saying that all top tier economies have the same product quality is forgetting about the original 360 heating issues, Apple's antenna issues, Toyota's deadly acceleration incidents, or Sony's exploding batteries. It's case by case, product by product. The market instead of the race decides. As far as I can see, all else being equal, Americans prefer American products, Chinese prefer Chinese products, Japanese prefer Japanese products. Fortunately, products are designed and priced to differentiate.

Those things at the end are somewhat shared by all countries. Japan however is extremely nationalistic with regards to where a product originates or what company sells the product.

Even with the extensive "Buy American" campaigning and advertising being done by many American companies, they are still going out of business because Americans by and large care about Price first and foremost. There's also been far less nationalistic product favoritism since the 80's and the Reagan era ushered in Yuppies and greater buying power for everyone. Nixon's opening of China to trade with the US also starts to bear fruit here. Japanese products finally start to lose their reputation for crappy quality combined with them being able to undercut American products hugely in price (Yen traded for anywhere from 250-350 Yen to the Dollar back then).

So yes, if this was the American of the 50's and earlier, you'd have a point there. :) But America has been opening up to foreign products for quite a while with it acclerating during the 60's and 70's and hitting warp speed in the 80's. I've been going to Japan for 3 months out of the year since 1985 and have been able to watch as Japanese culture, infrastructure, feelings about Asians and Foreigners (completely different levels of hatred to indifference), buying trends, etc. have evolved. It's come quite a ways, but in many ways they are still a very xenophobic society. Look at all the squawking there is in the US about illegal aliens from Mexico for example. That's nothing compared to how the Japanese talk about other Asian societies in general...when there aren't any Camera's in their face, and when they aren't in the presence of foreigners. But as you pointed out the younger generations are becoming more tolerant. But even there the disdain is quite evident when they let their guard down.

It's hard to sell in Japan because of their existing market and channel structure. Their culture is also pretty different. From an Asian company's perspective, it's also hard to sell in US because of similar issues. I have heard fair share of complains from both sides.

Not even close from the Japanese businessmen I've gone drinking with. Even back in the late 80's it wasn't difficult for Japanese businesses to get their products sold in the US. While the opposite was almost impossible except for iconic items.

It's the same the other way round. ^_^
Foreign entities bought US companies to get into US too. It's a faster way to bootstrap, and you gain capability and the customer base right away -- if you can afford it.

This was done more from a cost point of view, not for access to the US market. Honda, IIRC, was the first Japanese automaker to open a plant in the US. It works for them since they don't hire Union autoworkers (less than half the Union wage at the time), as well as avoiding expensive shipping, and getting some lucrative tax breaks if they could incorporate a certain percentage of parts sourced from American companies.

Foreign companies can easily get their products into the US as long as they follow the same regulations that all US companies have to follow (safety and emission level requirements for cars for example, which is why you don't see the majority of Japanese cars here). Buying a US business or corporation is all about money, infrastructure, competition, etc. Unlike Japan there isn't tiered requirements for Japanese products, Australian Products, European Products, and Asian products. Often with wildly variable requirements for each of the product origins depending on product category. With food being the most highly controlled (as it can be produced far more cheaply anywhere but Japan).

Regards,
SB

Considering the size of the Japanese movie industry and the average budget of the films they do end up making, it isn't terribly surprising. Among Asian countries, only Hong Kong in its heyday could have come close to rivaling Hollywood. And even then their film budgets and film quality was only a fraction of Hollywood A-list titles and even B-grade movies in Hollywood often had larger budgets and better quality. :)

Bollywood should be larger than HK movie industry.

India, Hong Kong, Korea and Japan produce quality movies and TV shows from time to time. A few of their productions have been translated, distributed or even licensed to other Asian countries, and Hollywood. These days, you see collaboration between Asian countries also (including Greater China, Taiwan, Singapore).

The recent Tangshang Earthquake movie "Aftershock" from Greater China has CG scenes done by Weta Workshop. In general, their budget are indeed smaller than Hollywood's. US movies and TV shows are popular in Asia nonetheless (AVATAR !). In the early 2000s, Korean TV shows and movies took over much of Asia. The "craze" spreaded to the nationalistic Mainland China too. BoA, the Korean singer, launched her career in Japan successfully with Avex Trax around the same period.

In comparing a relatively open and non-nationalistic Asian country to arguably the most closed and nationalistic Asian country (ignoring N.Korea for the purposes of this comparison). Only China is potentially more averse to foreign products.

Not only do products from America, Europe, and Australia do well there, products from other Asians countries, Korea for example, do quite well there. Taiwan and Japan are at opposite ends of the spectrum with regards to how open they are to foreign products, both from a governmental and personal perspective.

Japan, China, Taiwan, India and Korea are advanced and big enough to hold their own. The "Ford Lio Ho" joint venture did well in Taiwan because they execute well. Taiwan is close to US for economics and political reasons. They are also more porous culturally. That doesn't mean Japanese consumers are adverse to US products.

Those things at the end are somewhat shared by all countries. Japan however is extremely nationalistic with regards to where a product originates or what company sells the product.

Even with the extensive "Buy American" campaigning and advertising being done by many American companies, they are still going out of business because Americans by and large care about Price first and foremost. There's also been far less nationalistic product favoritism since the 80's and the Reagan era ushered in Yuppies and greater buying power for everyone. Nixon's opening of China to trade with the US also starts to bear fruit here. Japanese products finally start to lose their reputation for crappy quality combined with them being able to undercut American products hugely in price (Yen traded for anywhere from 250-350 Yen to the Dollar back then).

So yes, if this was the American of the 50's and earlier, you'd have a point there. :) I've been going to Japan for 3 months out of the year since 1985 and have been able to watch as Japanese culture, infrastructure, feelings about Asians and Foreigners, buying trends, etc. have evolved. It's come quite a ways, but in many ways they are still a very xenophobic society.

My post mentioned *All else being equal*. It did not mention the 50's. ^_^
Your post mentioned Americans prefer low price, which is not equal.

Like I said, all else being equal, Americans will prefer American products, Japanese will prefer Japanese products, etc. Companies like Apple tooted "Designed in US" for a good reason (Yet the Japanese buy Apple products). Japanese prefer their own products because like you mentioned above, they have their own culture and ecosystems. Their needs are usually better understood and served by their own people. Even for digital music, they may download more songs from their DoCoMo network via cellphones (cheaper and more convenient) than iTunes + iPod (more expensive). However, if you have the right concept, product and channel, you can be successful in Japan too.

Not even close from the Japanese businessmen I've gone drinking with. Even back in the late 80's it wasn't difficult for Japanese businesses to get their products sold in the US. While the opposite was almost impossible except for iconic items.

It depends on the industry and the products. You'll find barriers on both sides. Naturally, you'll also find people who have figured out how to do business on both shores. e.g., I know inside Microsoft, there are people who're moonlighting and selling consumer services to Japan too. So by individual examples, clearly it's workable in that direction too ?

This was done more from a cost point of view, not for access to the US market.

Ha ha it's case by case (depends on what you want to sell and present). There is no one size fits all generalization here.

Honda, IIRC, was the first Japanese automaker to open a plant in the US. It works for them since they don't hire Union autoworkers (less than half the Union wage at the time), as well as avoiding expensive shipping, and getting some lucrative tax breaks if they could incorporate a certain percentage of parts sourced from American companies.

Foreign companies can easily get their products into the US as long as they follow the same regulations that all US companies have to follow (safety and emission level requirements for cars for example, which is why you don't see the majority of Japanese cars here). Buying a US business or corporation is all about money, infrastructure, competition, etc.

… and Microsoft -- a US company -- has its own offices in Japan.

US is more structured compared to Asia. Even in the more open Taiwan, things may not be laid down in black and white. ^_^

You need to understand their culture and needs before doing business there. It is also not always "clean" to do business in US. The same tricks that work in Asia may be needed here too (Yes, I have encountered blatant bribe requests, KTV outings, and other small favors on US soil).

Wouldn't the smart way for MS to enter the market in Japan be to become the market leader in all the other markets ?

Think about it. If next gen the xbox 3 is by far the leader in NA and Europe it will become a sucess in japan because the japanese developers will have to target it and create games for it so they can make money.

If the xbox 3 is able to create a user base as big as the wii's as fast as the wiis while nintendo and sony languish it will happen.

The question is if they are able to do that.

I think the xbox 360 is showing that MS doesn't need japan in the future. I'm sure they will keep pushing to try nad sell units , but i think next round they will focus more on Europe which is over all more open to MS than japan is.

Of course they could just buy capcom and sell the next xbox as a capcom machine in japan.

I think people are kidding themselves if they think Japanese culture is not xenophobic - I mean even the UN in a 2005 special report highlighted the "deep and profound" racism and xenophobia prevalent in Japan.

It is not simply a case of Americans wanting to buy American goods - price being equal Americans would prefer a Japanese small car over an American one, or a Japanese TV over an American one.

What's the #1 selling point for the 360 - Shooters. Japanese people don't play shooters. How much consoles would have been sold in the west, if there were't any shooters ?
If it's xenophobia why does the 360 sales always spike, if an "attractive" title comes out ?
There was a time when the PS3 regulary sold under 10000 getting even as low as 4000, beaten by the 360 numerous times. Even the Wii is close to 10000 a week now.
Why did the Dreamcast so badly - also xenophobia ?
Why is the 360 selling so bad in a few european countries like spain - also xenophobia ?
Why is the 360 selling so good in the US - also xenophobia ?
Where is the xenophobia when it comes to firms like Apple, Coca Cola, McDonalds or american Movie Stars / Singers ?

iPhone is selling a LOT in Japan as the de facto smartphone platform and AppStore has many many developers from Japan. Android is supported by the largest carrier in Japan (NTT DoCoMo) and will grow much larger soon. While Windows Phone 7...;)

In Japan there is a very little number of adult hardcore gamers. Most adult people tend to go social games on cellphone or conservative old classics (Mario, Dragon Quest, Gran Tourismo etc.) wrt gaming. As for children, Japan has its self-sufficient pop culture as manga and anime that caters to juvenile tastes, and its influence on children is a lot larger than foreign IP such as Halo. Imagine a Halo-less Xbox and you'll get the picture.

I think people are kidding themselves if they think Japanese culture is not xenophobic - I mean even the UN in a 2005 special report highlighted the "deep and profound" racism and xenophobia prevalent in Japan.

It is not simply a case of Americans wanting to buy American goods - price being equal Americans would prefer a Japanese small car over an American one, or a Japanese TV over an American one.

I said *all* else being equal, meaning price, quality, design, etc. match, people will buy what's most familiar to them, and benefit the local community. But most products differentiate in many ways, including how you sell them. ^_^

In you example above, Japanese may prefer Japanese TVs and cars for the same reasons. Doesn't mean they don't buy US products ;-)

What's the #1 selling point for the 360 - Shooters. Japanese people don't play shooters. How much consoles would have been sold in the west, if there were't any shooters ?
If it's xenophobia why does the 360 sales always spike, if an "attractive" title comes out ?
There was a time when the PS3 regulary sold under 10000 getting even as low as 4000, beaten by the 360 numerous times. Even the Wii is close to 10000 a week now.
Why did the Dreamcast so badly - also xenophobia ?
Why is the 360 selling so bad in a few european countries like spain - also xenophobia ?
Why is the 360 selling so good in the US - also xenophobia ?
Where is the xenophobia when it comes to firms like Apple, Coca Cola, McDonalds or american Movie Stars / Singers ?
all valid points

heres the top50 for all of 2009 in spain
ps3 17
wii 13
xb360 2 // even the psp done better!

why is this? are the spainish anti american or pro jap?
whats the reason for this

1 Wii Play Nintendo Wii Juegos sociales +3
2 Wii Sports Resort Wii Motion Plus Nintendo Wii Deportes +7
3 Mario Kart + Wii Wheel Nintendo Wii Carreras, rally +3
4 Wii Fit Balance Board Nintendo Wii Salud, Fitness +3
5 Pro Evolution Soccer 2010 Konami PS3 Deportes +3
Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Atvi Blizzard PS3 Acción, combate +18
7 Wii Fit Plus Balance Board Nintendo WII Salud, Fitness +3
8 Fifa 10 Electronic Arts PS3 Deportes +3
9 New Super Mario Bros. Nintendo Wii Plataformas +3
10 Los Sims 3 Electronic Arts PC Simulación social +12
11 Pro Evolution Soccer 2010 Konami PS2 Deportes +3
12 Assassin’s Creed Ii Ubi Soft PS3 Acción, combate +18
13 Fifa 10 Electronic Arts PS2 Deportes +3
14 El Profesor Layton Y La Caja De Pandora Nintendo Nintendo DS Aventura gráfica, rol +7
15 Pokemon Platino Nintendo Nintendo DS Aventura gráfica, rol +3
16 El Profesor Layton Y La Villa Misteriosa Nintendo Nintendo DS Aventura gráfica, rol +7
17 New Super Mario Bros. Nintendo Nintendo DS Plataformas +3
18 Uncharted 2: El Reino De Los Ladrones Sony PS3 Aventura gráfica, rol +16
19 Resident Evil 5 Koch Media PS3 Acción, combate +18
20 Mario & Sonic En Los Juegos Olimpicos De Invierno Sega Wii Deportes +3
21 Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 Konami PS3 Deportes +3
22 Pro Evolution Soccer 2010 Konami PSP Deportes +3
23 Killzone 2 Sony PS3 Acción, combate +18
24 Mario Kart Ds Nintendo Nintendo DS Carreras, rally +3
25 Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Atvi Blizzard X360 Acción, combate +18
26 Fallout 3 Namco Bandai PS3 Aventura gráfica, rol +18 POS TÍTULO PLATAFORMA PEGI
27 Monopoly Electronic Arts Wii Juegos sociales +3 1
28 Trivial Pursuit Electronic Arts Wii Juegos sociales +3
29 Fifa 09 Electronic Arts PSP Deportes +3
30 Mas Brain Training Nintendo Nintendo DS Progreso mental +3
31 Active Personal Trainer Cintas Electronic Arts Wii Salud, Fitness +3
32 Invizimals Camera Trap Sony PSP Acción, combate +7
33 Super Mario Galaxy Nintendo Wii Plataformas +3
34 Fifa 09 Electronic Arts PS3 Deportes +3
35 Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 Konami PS2 Deportes +3
36 Fifa 10 Electronic Arts PSP Deportes +3
37 Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 Konami PSP Deportes +3
38 Super Smash Bros. Brawl Nintendo Wii Acción, combate +12
39 Need For Speed: Shift Electronic Arts PS3 Carreras, rally +7
40 Mario & Sonic En Los Juegos Olimpicos De Invierno Sega Nintendo DS Deportes +3
41 Animal Crossing: Let’s Go To The City Nintendo Wii Simulación social +3
42 Call Of Duty : World At War Atvi Blizzard PS3 Acción, combate +18
43 Assassin’s Creed Platinum Ubi Soft PS3 Acción, combate +18
44 Brain Training Del Dr. Kawashima Nintendo Nintendo DS Progreso mental +3
45 Grand Theft Auto Iv Take 2 PS3 Acción, combate +18
46 Eye Pet Eye-Toy Cam Magic Card Sony PS3 Simulación social +3
47 Tekken 6 Namco Bandai PS3 Acción, combate +16
48 Fifa 10 Electronic Arts X360 Deportes +3
49 World Of Warcraft: Wrath Of The Lich King Atvi Blizzard PC Aventura gráfica, rol +12
50 Need For Speed: Undercover Electronic Arts PS3 Carreras, rally +12

ive mentioned the primary reason why the xbox doesnt sell, its not because its an american console but cause theres not enuf 'japanese taste' titles
i.e. lack of suitable software
disagree? then give more than a hanful of examples
also answer the spainsh question above

Back