Hot Shots Golf 5 Screens

I'm not sure what art style there is to complain about all of a sudden. Hot Shots Golf has looked like this for a long time. I don't expect them to change their design when the majority of HSG fans have had no problems thus far. I'm not sure what you guys expected from a HSG sequel. A new art direction after 10 years?

I'm not sure what art style there is to complain about all of a sudden. Hot Shots Golf has looked like this for a long time. I don't expect them to change their design when the majority of HSG fans have had no problems thus far. I'm not sure what you guys expected from a HSG sequel. A new art direction after 10 years?

hot.6.jpg

hsg3_1.jpg

http://img370.imageshack.us/img370/4894/golf511118a21aey0en8.jpg

I see the progression, but the closer devs get to the ability to represent reality accurately, the more obvious and odd the clash becomes.

EDIT: Image Size Rule

Last edited by a moderator:
http://psxmedia.ign.com/media/previews/image/hot.6.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://ps2media.ign.com/media/previews2/image/hotshotsgolf3/hsg3_1.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://img370.imageshack.us/img370/4894/golf511118a21aey0en8.jpg[IMG]

I see the progression, but the closer devs get to the ability to represent reality accurately, the more obvious and odd the clash becomes.[/QUOTE]

Ok I'll give you a pass on the first one ;), but you gotta admit, the last two look pretty damn similar. Like Ben-Nice said, the 3rd one just looks like a next gen version of the 2nd one.

TheChefO said:
If they used a similar method of cartoon in reality similar to "Who framed Roger Rabbit" I think it would be acceptable
And end up with something looking like Appleseed? No thanks, those kinds of contrasts are far more jarring, no matter how technically accomplished the renders might be. But this does come down to a matter of taste I suppose.

Kinda like that other argument in this thread (which I'm not touching with a tenfoot pole).

Never played a HSG game. Never saw one either. Sorry, didn't know only HSG fans were allowed to post their opinions.

Never played a HSG game. Never saw one either. Sorry, didn't know only HSG fans were allowed to post their opinions.

I'm pretty sure thats not what I meant. My point was that the art style has been the same throughout the Hot Shots Golf Series, so I'm not sure why you expected something so different. Sure you can dislike an artstyle of a particular game, I don't see anything wrong with that; but going on and on about how you would like it to be different just seems pointless.

And end up with something looking like Appleseed? No thanks, those kinds of contrasts are far more jarring, no matter how technically accomplished the renders might be. But this does come down to a matter of taste I suppose.

Kinda like that other argument in this thread (which I'm not touching with a tenfoot pole).

Personal preference/taste I suppose. :smile:

@Badboy
I stand by my point that the better the hardware gets, the more odd this art style combination becomes. IMO :)

Great graphics though. :)

My point was that the art style has been the same throughout the Hot Shots Golf Series, so I'm not sure why you expected something so different.
How should I have known what to "expect" if I have never seen a HSG game before?

...but going on and on about how you would like it to be different just seems pointless.
I'm not going on and on about how I would like it to be different... I made it pretty clear early on that this game just didn't seem to be for me. If it is perfect for others, great, why would I want to change that when I'm sure something to suit me will come along soon enough? The "going on and on" is simply defending myself against the "crazy, detached from reality" posts that just didn't understand where I was coming from.

How should I have known what to "expect" if I have never seen a HSG game before?

I'm not going on and on about how I would like it to be different... I made it pretty clear early on that this game just didn't seem to be for me. If it is perfect for others, great, why would I want to change that when I'm sure something to suit me will come along soon enough? The "going on and on" is simply defending myself against the "crazy, detached from reality" posts that just didn't understand where I was coming from.
I guess thats fair enough. But on the other it's kinda odd. Look at it from my point of view. Just because you have never seen HSG before? If I have never seen a mario game before, would it not look weird if I were ask why the next mario game doesnt look like a different art style?

I guess thats fair enough. But on the other it's kinda odd. Look at it from my point of view. Just because you have never seen HSG before? If I have never seen a mario game before, would it not look weird if I were ask why the next mario game doesnt look like a different art style?

I agree. Another question would be what one expects from Mario Golf ? Mario Tennis ? Mario Basketball? Sonic games? There are many games that offer similar "chibi"-style and that is their basis. You can criticize the art, but there is a limit until it just becomes nit-picking and pointless. The whole starting point of the game, the very essence, is often times reflected in the artwork and serves as its identity. I think criticizing HSG for having art that "clashes" because of the realistic looking environment and anime-style characters is as meaningful as criticizing the look of Crysis, Doom3, or FEAR - for instance, that they are semi-real, but one prefers either fake or completely photorealistic.

In games that have been traditionally about mascot-style characters, once you move away from these, you can possibly get into a whole new set of arguments, such as on why theres no gore. Imagine a realistic looking Mario Bashbrothers game - can you already hear the voice of somebody complaining on the lack of gore, crushing of bones, mutilations ...

I don't think thats what they are striving for though. I can see that these devs are just trying to make a nice looking game thats fun to play.

Sure. Absolutely nothing wrong with that! My message was just aimed towards the people in this thread who are saying that the screetshots are technically impressive.

I think criticizing HSG for having art that "clashes" because of the realistic looking environment...
Except that I don't think the environment looks realistic at all, which is what I don't like about the game. I guess I thought it was trying to be something it isn't. No problem, for the hundredth time if it isn't my cup of tea but is yours that's terrific.

Except that I don't think the environment looks realistic at all, which is what I don't like about the game. I guess I thought it was trying to be something it isn't. No problem, for the hundredth time if it isn't my cup of tea but is yours that's terrific.

I would talk about how me and others think that as a whole, its more realistic looking than other games released so far, except that I wasn't talking to you, or about you, at all. So for the 101th time, we all agree to disagree with you.

Well hell, you played cheerleader for a post that was directly addressing my statement, so it sure seemed that way. Oh well, my bad I guess.

Just a reminder, the demo should be going up in japan tomorrow which should be later today in the NA. Have your japan accounts at the ready. :)

In a 8-player game you can see what others do with you on a course in realtime (but no chat, you can comment after a match).
Is that due to technical limits of the PS network, or because golfers don't appreciate nattering from the crowd? ;)

Back