Hot Shots Golf 5 Screens

You still don't have a leg to stand on. Have you seen my pics?
Yeah, the arial shot looks better for sure.

But I don't need "a leg to stand on." I have my opinion, and I'm entitled to it. I'm surprised at how a bunch of rabid fans come rushing in to defend this game for some reason. Are we not allowed to have opinions now without being insulted and chastised?

This isn't an argument about technical aspects of the game. I simply don't like the style of these shots. It looks very fake... something is just off.

Sorry, just took the first screenshot I found. Many others of in-game shots look similar. Do I need to post a dozen? I think not.
Tiger woods has limited lighting and shadowing, low-res 2D trees, weaker grass texturing especially at shallow angles, and generally isn't a match for these images. The best part to TW are the faces, which TW has always been good at, but of course isn't relevant in a comparison where HSG isn't going for photorealism. The scenery in TW is pretty primitive, and apart from some self-shadowing on the character, the entire game seems to be illuminated with the previous generation systems.

There's no contest at all!

But I don't need "a leg to stand on." I have my opinion, and I'm entitled to it...Are we not allowed to have opinions now without being insulted and chastised?

This isn't an argument about technical aspects of the game. I simply don't like the style of these shots. It looks very fake... something is just off.
You're perfectly entitled to dislike the art direction. However, if you're not moaning about technical aspects, why did you say...

That looks like tiger woods on XBOX to me, maybe worse, but with higher resolution...Overall it looks very, very, very fake. Like a bad engine with some shawdows and spotty high res textures slapped on.
There's nothing bad about this engine - a technical consideration. The lighting and shading is top notch. The biggest difference that may be upsetting you is the artistic lighting, whereas TW was more subdued and 'natural' rather than 'dynamic'.

But I don't need "a leg to stand on." I have my opinion, and I'm entitled to it. I'm surprised at how a bunch of rabid fans come rushing in to defend this game for some reason. Are we not allowed to have opinions now without being insulted and chastised?

Please feel free to treat others with the same courtesy as you demand to be treated. Frankly I'm not sure if the HSG franchise even has any "rabid fans" in the western territories. To some of us it's looking like a really pretty game, but you don't like the art style, that's fine. The HSG/Minna no Golf series has never really tried for a realistic look.

Your original contention is that it looks like a well-done wii game, not sure what generation of wii games will ever achieve that kind of lighting/self-shadowing but for a first-attempt by Clap Hanz on the PS3, it is much more respectable than what other developers have managed to achieve on the platform, and things will only get better from here on in.
Indifferent2.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Art Direction

;)

It is sorely missing from this game. The two styles do not mix and while the environment looks great and the characters look great, the two do not mix. Even with the horrible Art Direction this still looks better than Tiger woods - IMO. :smile:

Art Direction

;)

It is sorely missing from this game. The two styles do not mix and while the environment looks great and the characters look great, the two do not mix. Even with the horrible Art Direction this still looks better than Tiger woods - IMO. :smile:

It seems like every game will get trashed for "lazy art" these days. The art is the same now as its always been. The team has always went with this formula.

Art Direction

;)

They've always had the almost chibi like anime characters. I do agree that the realistic golf course with the clay like anime characters do clash but I don't mind it at all. Its one of the main reasons I can tell its HSG in the first place...the environment (the way it looks and the nice lighting) tells me its some Golf Sim when it isn't.

The series has always looked cartoony

Lol, don't even try to tell me those were the best quality shots you could find...

Lol, I won't because it wasn't the point nor would I have such an intention. I went to Gamespot, looked at a few, and randomly picked a few pictures. In response, I would ask you to pick a screenshot from the Xbox game that looks like HSG5 or even the reference picture he put up, but I don't think that was your intention when you quoted and responded to me so I won't. :idea:

mckmas and others certainly got the point though.;)

You're perfectly entitled to dislike the art direction. However, if you're not moaning about technical aspects, why did you say...

There's nothing bad about this engine - a technical consideration. The lighting and shading is top notch. The biggest difference that may be upsetting you is the artistic lighting, whereas TW was more subdued and 'natural' rather than 'dynamic'.
It still looks fake to me for some reason. Just the way I'd expect a "bad engine" to look with high res textures and souped up lighting. I dunno... can't put my finger on it, but I was very underwhelmed when I saw the first screenshot.

Please feel free to treat others with the same courtesy as you demand to be treated.
Hey, I'm not the one saying everyone else has lost their grip on reality because they don't have the same tastes I do, or that they spend their time surfing the net looking at screenshots instead of enjoying games. The onslaught of posters in response to my opinion was startling, and I see no reason not to call a spade a spade.

Frankly I'm not sure if the HSG franchise even has any "rabid fans" in the western territories.
Then why are people so bent out of shape?

To some of us it's looking like a really pretty game, but you don't like the art style, that's fine.
No, apparently I'm not allowed to have my own opinion.

Of course they weren't. But HSG5 looks nothing like that game. I'm not even sure why he brought up the Xbox.
Maybe because it was easy to search for in google? It's a multiplatform game, why should it matter which one I pulled images from? The point was that TW is a ported game over a year in age, and what I saw in these HSG shots left me underwhelmed.

No problem... there are plenty of other games I'll like, and I'm sure a golf game will come along to really impress me too.

They've always had the almost chibi like anime characters. I do agree that the realistic golf course with the clay like anime characters do clash but I don't mind it at all. Its one of the main reasons I can tell its HSG in the first place...the environment (the way it looks and the nice lighting) tells me its some Golf Sim when it isn't.

The series has always looked cartoony

Cartoony graphics mixed with realistic graphics is odd but what's even more odd is combining realistic lighting all around. It literally looks like giant dolls are playing golf on a real course (I know the BG is not photoreal).

The acceptable formula IMO would be to have a realistic course with cartoon (flatshade/cellshade) characters or (ideally) Cartoon style the entire scene. See any silly/kids movie that uses cgi. For a games representation, see Teamfortress2 or Bluedragon or Trusty Bell.

Consistency in Art direction.

This is all my opinion and like I said the graphics are certainly not poor quality and the engine seems very capable, so please do not interprit this as a bash. It isn't. It's Artistic critique ;)

I think we should let Bigus have have his opinions and allow him his right to critique HSG5 while keeping in mind that he considers something that released in October 2007 to be 1+ year old, and the pre-vis of the said game, TW07 :

1117662761.jpg

to have the same graphical fidelity as ingame

and

I look forward to reading his defense of how much Motorstorm and Killzone looks like their original CG trailers :cool:

Not that this thread hasn't jumped enough sharks already, but Bigus was citing Tiger Woods 06 as a comparison using its pre-vis, and those two in-game screenshots are from Tiger Woods 07.

I say we just dig up the patio round back and bury this sorry derailment of a thread.

Not that this thread hasn't jumped enough sharks already, but Bigus was citing Tiger Woods 06 as a comparison using its pre-vis, and those two in-game screenshots are from Tiger Woods 07.

Well I gave him the benefit of the doubt by selecting the newer one as a source of screenshots :cool:

I think we should let Bigus have have his opinions and allow him his right to critique HSG5 while keeping in mind that he considers something that released in October 2007 to be 1+ year old, and the pre-vis of the said game, TW07
Look, I googled tiger woods 06 and posted one of the first images I found. If that was some sort of pre-vis or something, then my goof for not reading more closely. [edit]I just checked, and that image I posted is dated June 1, 2005, and pre-vis or not we haven't reached October 2007 yet. Also, the TW07 pic Shifty posted looks pretty horrid in the trees - something I never noticed in gameplay in 06. All the shots I found below seem to be claims of "in game" screenshots, and they look similar to what I've experienced in-game. Seems there is some disconnect somewhere? Anyway...[/edit]

Here are some other tiger woods 2006 screenshots to replace it... they seem to illustrate my point just fine, and I hope they aren't "pre-vis" renders also:
http://sportsmedia.ign.com/sports/i...tiger-woods-pga-tour-06-20051101025513023.jpg
http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360...tiger-woods-pga-tour-06-20051025063445459.jpg
http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360...tiger-woods-pga-tour-06-20060710003235888.jpg
http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360...tiger-woods-pga-tour-06-20051025063448724.jpg
http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360...tiger-woods-pga-tour-06-20051025063457661.jpg
http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360...tiger-woods-pga-tour-06-20051025063450256.jpg

I just didn't see anything in HSG that made me go "ooh... gotta have that." And I'm no huge TW fan, it's just a decent golf game. I'm really looking forward to something that steps out and shines in comparison, and I thought HSG might be it but that doesn't seem to be my cup of tea. Something just looks wrong to me... very harsh, very fake, not convincing at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back