Hot Shots Golf 5 Screens

What makes you think it looks like a Wii game?

Its crazy how lots of people are praising the visuals and you've got the 1 or 2 peppered people that say it looks good for a Wii game.
Just comparing it to launch games that were essentially tweaked ports for the other consoles, specifically ones that have landscape and more specifically golf. That looks like tiger woods on XBOX to me, maybe worse, but with higher resolution. And maybe nice shadowing, but still very cartoony looking (not the character).

Overall it looks very, very, very fake. Like a bad engine with some shawdows and spotty high res textures slapped on.

Like I said... I was excited with the thread title, until I looked at the pics and realized that a game I've had for over a year that wasn't even designed for the platform looks much more realistic to my eye.

I mean...does this

and this

Look similar to you?
No, the first looks like a bad GC game, the second is what I think a superb Wii game might look like. Guess I'm too optimistic there?

Compare: October 2005:
1117662761.jpg

I just didn't get excited... that's all.

No, the first looks like a bad GC game, the second is what I think a superb Wii game might look like. Guess I'm too optimistic there?

Your expectations for both platforms need to be calibrated.

Recently there seems to be a lot of people who spend a lot more time talking about games than actually playing them. I'm not saying you are specifically. But recently there seem to be a lot of people who's primary hobby is critiquing screen shots of games and not actually playing them.

So to people who have totally out of whack expectations, go out and buy some freaking games and actually play them! You need re-calibrate your expectations for what game graphics look like by actually playing some real games. You can't become knowlegable about game graphics just from reviewing screenshots. And photo real is still just a pipe dream. 3D games are still all just bad approximations on reality - some are just less bad than others. I don't know why people are expecting photo real - but it might have something to do with overzelous PR depts.

If you think a screenshot of a PS3 game looks totally doable on Wii. And that a PS3 game looks poor because it does not look like a real life photo. There is a pretty good chance you need to spend some time playing some real games to flush those crazy ideas out of your system.

If you think a screenshot of a PS3 game looks totally doable on Wii. And that a PS3 game looks poor because it does not look like a real life photo. There is a pretty good chance you need to spend some time playing some real games to flush those crazy ideas out of your system.

I know right. You should check the Lair thread to see even more people talking crazy.

2rojs00.jpg

312h40m.jpg

343p3rb.jpg

2e4b1fs.jpg

Wii? LOL

I can't say I see where the Wii comparisons come in. The game looks quite good all-around.

But, IMO, attacking such people will not help and that's probably what they want you to do.

That is not a HSG image. That is a image of Tiger for x360. You pulled that photo from a xbox page.:no:
Erm, I'm glad you reasoned that one out. I figured the link itself would make it very clear what game the shot came from, but I guess I should have spelled it out? I posted that TW shot to show what a 1+ year old game looks like, and why I was dissapointed in the HSG screenshots.

Your expectations for both platforms need to be calibrated.
For the Wii, perhaps... I'm consistently surprised at just how limited it is compared to the PS3/360. I have a hard time believing that it will still look pretty much like GC games.
Recently there seems to be a lot of people who spend a lot more time talking about games than actually playing them. I'm not saying you are specifically.
Well, you responded to my posts, use my comments as a "case example", and seem to disagree with my opinion. Seems like you are talking pretty specifically about me.
There is a pretty good chance you need to spend some time playing some real games to flush those crazy ideas out of your system.
Yep, seems pretty clear.
So to people who have totally out of whack expectations, go out and buy some freaking games and actually play them!
You mean like playing TW06 on X360 nearly every day for some 15 months now? And for my eyes, after having played a golf game for over a year that wasn't designed to take advantage of either the 360 or PS3 from ground up, the HSG screenshots left me very underwhelmed. I was excited about a "next gen" golf game, until I saw the pics. And this isn't a 360/PS3 thing - I assume TW06/07 are available for the PS3 as well.
And photo real is still just a pipe dream. 3D games are still all just bad approximations on reality - some are just less bad than others. I don't know why people are expecting photo real - but it might have something to do with overzelous PR depts.
I'd settle for an improvement on a ported 1+ year old game. Is that hoping for too much?
If you think a screenshot of a PS3 game looks totally doable on Wii.
Not totally doable - there are some lighting and shadowing effects that I doubt could be done, and the resolution alone is enough to put it out of Wii league, but something about the "look" in general... maybe just the style... yeah, that's what I'd expect from the Wii at some point. A "good effort" at landscapes, which is what this looks like to me. Why is this so different from people thinking the ForzaMotorsports2 environments look fake?

Erm, I'm glad you reasoned that one out. I figured the link itself would make it very clear what game the shot came from, but I guess I should have spelled it out? I posted that TW shot to show what a 1+ year old game looks like, and why I was dissapointed in the HSG screenshots.

That wasn't a screenshot of Tiger Woods 06 though, it was their pre-vis.

You still don't have a leg to stand on. Have you seen my pics?

All I know is right now it's the best looking golf game I have seen beside Wii Golf ;) It most definitely looks better than the last Tiger Woods on X360 and PS3 and right now that's all that it can be compared to.

Back