SCE signs Heavy Rain (?)

I was just thinking that after posting. There aren't many available ninja's capable of pulling off Nariko's moves. I don't think even Andy Serkis is up to the job...

*chuckle* Yeah, I think Nariko's and Kai's moves are hand animated.

Kittonwy said:
DeanoC if you guys ever get the chance to do another Heavenly Sword game on the PS3 please put some platforming in there and no more QTEs thank you so much.

Heh heh... Compared to Uncharted, HS's QTE is like a dessert.

I am looking forward to a slightly more open gameplay myself (not fully open though, coz I really like HS's high quality scripted events and bosses), and may be some online elements.

DeanoC, even after playing R&C and Uncharted, I still think HS holds its own in the gameplay department. It is one of the few that hit close to me hearts (even considering PS2 titles). Please keep it up and have a nice thanksgiving. ^_^

Quantic has some of the most talented artists around working on the characters for the game, and they're also using - somewhat rough - scanned data to fit the models to. So I have some pretty high expectations, but I'm a bit worried about the facial animation - it was quite terrible in that old trailer.

Is it perhaps a result of a certain phenomenon? I cant remember how it is called but it goes like this. CGI models or Robots tend to get more freaky or "monstrous" as they approach reality even more. It is a paradox. I wish I could remember how it is called because it was rather interesting when I first read about it

No, it was the result of poor execution. Mocap data applied to a badly skinned model, particularly on the mouth, it's hard to get right anyway, but mocap will also push it beyond its limits easily.

There's an interview here:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=31593

Doesn't reveal much since Sony still isn't ready to show the game off, but they sound very confident about the quality of the 'digital acting' they have achieved - better even than what they showed in The Casting demo, they say.

I think when we showed The Casting everyone agreed it was nice and it really showed that there was a potential for creating virtual actors, but we're still at this frontier where we don't totally suspend disbelief. We still have this uncanny valley to bridge. But today, I can officially announce that there is no uncanny valley any more, not in real-time.

With our next project we're going to demonstrate with hundreds of characters that we can have extremely realistic characters that not only move like real actors but express themselves through facial animations and speech like real actors, and are extremely accurate to the actors they are portraying.

They say we'll see something 'in the coming months'. My guess/hope would be GDC.

Let me see....

Games we havent seen anything about for a looong time

The Getaway
8 days
The spying game that uses the Eye camera
Heavy Rain
That sci-fi war game I forgot its name

Curious to see more

Let me see....

Games we havent seen anything about for a looong time

The Getaway
8 days
The spying game that uses the Eye camera
Heavy Rain
That sci-fi war game I forgot its name

Curious to see more

...also...

Wardevil
Alan Wake
2 Days to Vegas
Duke Nukem Forever :p

...also...

Wardevil
Alan Wake
2 Days to Vegas
Duke Nukem Forever :p

Oh yeah Wardevil was the sci fi I was trying to remember.

Heh yeah they are many. Although Duke Nukem will take literally forever to see. I doubt it will see the light of day :LOL:

Cant recall 2 Days to Vegas.

They're wanting to sign A-class Hollywood actors for the title, and are apparently getting interest with actors asking what the story and content is, without regard for the technology. Leonardo Di Caprio was approached for Fahrenheit and turned it down as he felt the technology wasn't there to capture the performance.

It'll be very interesting if they integrate Hollywood figures into a game. Indeed, a historical landmark. Imagine your game box being plastered with 'Starring *****' famous actor/actress banners! Like films, games could be sold on the people in it rather than the story or the developer.

*chuckle* Yeah, I think Nariko's and Kai's moves are hand animated.

Heh heh... Compared to Uncharted, HS's QTE is like a dessert.

I am looking forward to a slightly more open gameplay myself (not fully open though, coz I really like HS's high quality scripted events and bosses), and may be some online elements.

DeanoC, even after playing R&C and Uncharted, I still think HS holds its own in the gameplay department. It is one of the few that hit close to me hearts (even considering PS2 titles). Please keep it up and have a nice thanksgiving. ^_^

There's no point in having QTEs in Uncharted though, you can climb and jump pretty much to where you need to go, I thought the whole "hit circle" thing was redundant.

As for HS, if you allow for free exploration via platforming, it would make those "do these to reach a higher place" QTEs pointless, I don't mind boss fight QTEs but for exploration I really would rather do it myself.

Back