Heavy Rain [PS3]

It's early in the game as I understand it, in the character introduction. I'm pretty sure you're past the point, although I'll leave it to deathindustrial to explain when his spoiler occurs to be on the safe side.

Ok, I read it. In general, the Heavy Rain UI can be clunky at times. But it's not Playstation Home. There is a distinct and urgent sense of calling.

I didn't run into the problem he faced. In fact, I didn't even pay attention to the clock. I only checked it once (for bed time).
Didn't get him to do homework: It's overrated at such a young age. :p

I am also not a huge fan so far of how event triggers have been implemented, it seems pretty easy to get stuck having to randomly walk into everything looking for a non-obvious trigger for a trivial action.
At Ethan's apartment you need to make his kid dinner at one point. First we let him watch tv while we looked around the house. We opened the fridge and drank some juice, clearly seeing pizza and other foodstuffs (OK, food is in fridge).

At 7PM you are supposed to make the kid dinner (based on the posted list of things to do). So we try to open the fridge again but now it has no action option (arrgh). So we mess about in the pantry, try bumping into all the cupboards to find an action item, etc. but no go. Eventually it turned out we had to look at a specific clock and trigger a thought before it would then let us go back and open the fridge and feed the kid, this despite the fact we can clearly see the clock already, know where the food is and know what we are supposed to do at 7PM.

Cheers

I faced a similiar issue.
I never even fed my son. I couldn't figure it out either and said eff it. I kept doing everything else but until he passed out on the couch and I had to take him to bed.

Wow, you are a terrible dad. :devilish:

I think I talked to the kid first (about everything !) to understand his mindset before recommending any actions. I was going to eat the chicken myself, but the game took over.

I helped him look for his teddy bear though.

EDIT: When David Cage adds Arc to Heavy Rain, he should clean up and optimize some of the UI issues. They are not showstoppers, but I can see some people getting annoyed by them.

EDIT: When David Cage adds Arc to Heavy Rain, he should clean up and optimize some of the UI issues. They are not showstoppers, but I can see some people getting annoyed by them.

All I kept thinking last night while playing, was how silly (moreso than using the sixaxis) this would be playing with a wand in my hand, and how much more awesome the game would be if it utilized Natal.

I thought about that too. They offer different advantages.

With Natal, we have to figure out how to walk without a controller (Pointing is too deliberate in Natal since you'll have to hold out your hands clearly). With Arc, we have buttons and we can point while our hands are rested somewhere. But Natal allows more intuitive input (e.g, open a door) assuming the gesture tracking is reliable. For Arc, it'd be abstract (less direct) like the current control schemes. Or if they have gestures working reliably, they can incorporate that too. In the process, the Arc controller will offer haptic feedback for the actions you perform in the game. Then again, let's hope David Cage won't make us hold a DS3 in our left hand like the RE5 motion sensing addition.

I hope the scheme works such that I don't have to constantly lift my arms to perform the gestures in Arc or Natal. It would be tiring and worse than the current DS3 scheme. The scheme should be "natural" in the sense that I can make minimal movement for small and common actions.

I thought about that too. They offer different advantages.

With Natal, we have to figure out how to walk without a controller (Pointing is too deliberate in Natal since you'll have to hold out your hands clearly). With Arc, we have buttons and we can point while our hands are rested somewhere. But Natal allows more intuitive input (e.g, open a door) assuming the gesture tracking is reliable. For Arc, it'd be abstract (less direct) like the current control schemes. Or if they have gestures working reliably, they can incorporate that too. In the process, the Arc controller will offer haptic feedback for the actions you perform in the game. Then again, let's hope David Cage won't make us hold a DS3 in our left hand like the RE5 motion sensing addition.

I hope the scheme works such that I don't have to constantly lift my arms to perform the gestures in Arc or Natal. It would be tiring and worse than the current DS3 scheme. The scheme should be "natural" in the sense that I can make minimal movement for small and common actions.

Both Natal and Arc, there would be no reason to drop the traditional controller for walking around. And then use motion controls just for the things it would make the most sense to use motion controls for.

Regards,
SB

You can just point to the spot you want the character to go to.

Anyway, I completed the game. Got the f*cked up ending >_<. There is indeed a lot of possibilities in the game. I shall go into the GAF Heavy Rain plot thread and discuss with the others about their endings.

I don't know what to think of the game. It's engaging and powerful but too depressing for my taste, especially when I messed up all the important parts. T_T
Need some time to digest what I just experienced. I'd recommend people to try the game out. The game started really slow though.

In fact, I missed my dinner. Need to go now.
I :love: :love: Madison Paige and Ethan Mars
, but they all died. Everyone died in my game ! That doesn't feel good.

EDIT:
[size=-2]I hate David Cage.[/size]

Yes, I did whimper a little
when I forced Ethan to chop off his finger.

Man I'm loving the game so far, the story hooked me in right off the bat and the hauntingly depressing OST really sets the mood. Took a while to get used to the control but now they're 2nd nature to me, only complain being the R2 for walk, it's really a finger killer. The game is quite simply beautiful, both to look at and to be felt. Some parts looked photorealistic with the awesome lighting, shaders and textures.
check out the lighting and water distortion when Madison looks out her apartent windows, like wow!
About 2hours in and can't wait to continue:).

Found out I didn't get the worst ending. :)

Be careful. It is possible to let the killer escape. In my ending, the killer died, but at very high cost. I am impressed by the variety of ending GAFers saw.

Found out I didn't get the worst ending. :)

Be careful. It is possible to let the killer escape. In my ending, the killer died, but at very high cost. I am impressed by the variety of ending GAFFERs saw.
I'm doing all I can to get the best possible ending, I just need a good reward for going through all the traumas and self loathing. I always gid the better endings of the silent hill games.

Just started playing today. Only played about 3 hours so far, but I am very impressed. I'm surprised how well these controls work and how engaging the game feels even with such limited actions.

Story is starting to develop more and there have been quite a few 'story branching' sections where I found the situation could of gone drastically different. Still struggle at times with the environment and finding what I need sometimes. Also, there will be times when you have multiple interactions to chose from and it's hard to tell if I do X it relates to what I wanted. I found myself pressing directions not knowing what the effect would be.

The Ari interface is fun. Notice a lot of slow down during this portion of the game. I have had 2 hard crashes so far that have forced a hard PS3 reset. Lot's of screen tear.

Story is starting to develop more and there have been quite a few 'story branching' sections where I found the situation could of gone drastically different. Still struggle at times with the environment and finding what I need sometimes. Also, there will be times when you have multiple interactions to chose from and it's hard to tell if I do X it relates to what I wanted. I found myself pressing directions not knowing what the effect would be.

Heh heh, it means you'll accumulate more and more regrets as you progress. :p
At some point, I felt like redoing the entire game. ^_^

The Ari interface is fun. Notice a lot of slow down during this portion of the game. I have had 2 hard crashes so far that have forced a hard PS3 reset. Lot's of screen tear.

I didn't encounter any crash or pop-in throughout the entire game. I agree there are lot's of screen tears.

Heavy Rain is a weird game because the graphics contributes to the believability, but at the same time, the story and emotional baggage far outweigh the visuals. I know some of the screens look very impressive, and some have tears, but for some reason, they are very far removed from what's going on in my mind. My mind was more pre-occupied with saving/helping the folks in the game.

Where are you in the game now ?

I'm starting to find the story pretty engaging. I like the transgressing between the characters. When I first was introduced to each in the game, I already devised a mental game plan on how I would play each one. I gave each of them a new fatal personality flaw. All except the PI. It's been fun.

I find the graphics to be an entirely mixed bag. I'll be pretty impressed at the environments (specifically outdoors) and then the next scene will be the complete opposite, chock full of jaggies and lack of detail (Like in the police station). The voice acting has been sub par at times as well. BUT, with that said, and with the screen tear, I haven't found it entirely distracting.

As to where I am:
I just cashed in my locker ticket at the train station and picked up the shoebox.

Your game is just starting to get interesting... :yes:

I wish I could return to that point because I haven't made any major mistake at that moment yet. AntShaw, seize the moments. Don't let the QTEs (the real ones) slip by even though they seem short term at that instant. You can't predict what's going to happen next.

I beat the game.

The walking mechanics sucks. There has been multiple times where I over walk when all I wanted to do was open up the cabinet. Also countless times I end up steering my characters in the wrong directions and even end up going in circles. I didn't like some of the camera angle too even though you can change them using L1. They should of just implement RE old style walking mechanics with the d-pad because it has no in-game uses instead of menu scrolling.

Overall it's a good game. But I think it lacks replay value even though there are 22 endings. Of the endings I got none of them appears to make a drastic difference. I gotten 4 different endings so far and they all didn't seem to change much. I got the 3 other endings by backtracking some of the chapters till the end. Maybe if I killed off a number of my characters I'll get something very different? All my characters were alive except Ethan in one of them.

If you check the GAF Heavy Rain thread, you will be able to see the different endings: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=388374

They are rather diverse ! Yes, if you kill off some of the characters, the ending will of course be very different. ^_^

So you can jump to specific chapter in the game to replay ? I was worried I have to start from the very beginning (Too slow). In my ending, all the major characters, including the killer and the kid, died. Only Lauren survived. I don't even like her that much. How's that for a triller ? [size=-2]That's why I hate David Cage. He made me do terrible things.[/size]

Back