HDTVs for Console Play

CRT is almost dead and plasma looks to be fading as well...the push is for LCD TV whether you like or not....in Europe LCD has taken the lead.

I dont care. I dont like it.

LCD's..okay. The sooner one of these newfangled display technologies they're always talking about come to fruition, the better imo.
________
AVANDIA SETTLEMENT INFO

Last edited by a moderator:
Me too, i have had two LCD HDTVs and they're OK. I just cannot get over the fact that whatever you do, the blacks are just not black in a dark room or a room without a lot of ambient lighting. Even the most expensive set. The technology just can't do it at the moment.

Anyway, to whoever mentioned it, I think that CRT and especially DLP have been vastly surpassed by SXRD projection displays. 8000:1 REAL contrast ratio, blacks as black as the TV bezel, even in dark rooms, no ghosting, no banding, basically CRT image quality but at full 1080p... YUM. Not cheap but we're talking image quality here ;)

CRT > DLP > LCD > PLASMA when it comes to gaming.

However seeing as CRTs are huge, and heavy most pass. DLP is generally the best overall, cost effective option when it comes to a gaming HDTV.

CRT > DLP > LCD > PLASMA when it comes to gaming.

However seeing as CRTs are huge, and heavy most pass. DLP is generally the best overall, cost effective option when it comes to a gaming HDTV.

Well it depends on whether you can get over the crappy viewing angles and if you're affected by the dreaded rainbow effect. Also, some DLP sets are very prone to lag. DLP is hardly the best out there for gaming.
If you want rear or front projection, I think SXRD is what you should aim for, if you have the money. By far better than DLP. And £1700 for a 55" set is not even THAT much, considering. Still crappy viewing angles though.

I think a HD LCD-TV is the best bet for gaming and computer use but you need component/VGA or HDMI/DVI-D cables to get most out of it.

I agree with the chap that said you shouldn't blindly look at the given numbers in the specs as there's no universal method of measuring them. They can be slightly useful for comparing different TV's from the same manufacturer. The best thing to do is to check them out personally and if possible test with your own equipment. You can also get alot better information from various AV forums on the internet than from the specs.

There's also new tech around the corner regarding TV's. Personally i find SED-TV the most promising tech. It uses old tech from CRT-TV's (lit phosphor from an electron ray) and combines that with new tech on the electron rays. Instead of just one big electron ray cannon that scans the screen from top to bottom to light up the phosphor it uses one very small electron emitter for each pixel on the screen. So in short it uses the superior and well known CRT tech for image quality but is still capable of being flat like LCD and Plasma TV's.

I think a HD LCD-TV is the best bet for gaming and computer use but you need component/VGA or HDMI/DVI-D cables to get most out of it.

I agree with the chap that said you shouldn't blindly look at the given numbers in the specs as there's no universal method of measuring them. They can be slightly useful for comparing different TV's from the same manufacturer. The best thing to do is to check them out personally and if possible test with your own equipment. You can also get alot better information from various AV forums on the internet than from the specs.

There's also new tech around the corner regarding TV's. Personally i find SED-TV the most promising tech. It uses old tech from CRT-TV's (lit phosphor from an electron ray) and combines that with new tech on the electron rays. Instead of just one big electron ray cannon that scans the screen from top to bottom to light up the phosphor it uses one very small electron emitter for each pixel on the screen. So in short it uses the superior and well known CRT tech for image quality but is still capable of being flat like LCD and Plasma TV's.

SED is promising but it's taking its time, and won't be cheap to produce.

LCD with LED-array backlight and a few new technologies (100Hz and scanning backlight) will be the safest bet for a while, especially when it comes to performace-cost ratio.

Since you guys have Samsungs I would like to ask you about the DNIe or however it is called, their tech about enhancing contrast as I understood it. I have heard that in some situations it really makes the picture worse, in movies that have dark scenes those sceenes becomme very dark and you can hardly see anything, in really bad cases, is that true and have you seen if there is something similar in games as well? as I understood it is not possible to switch it of and although it might generaly lead to better picture it is a concern if it screws up the image on some situations...

When I first got the TV I'd never heard of DNIe. Then I found the DNIe demo option in the TV menu which splits the screen 50/50, half is normal and the other is with DNIe. While I didn't use the demo mode while watching DVD's I did try it for a bit for normal TV and Sky TV. At first the DNIe side looked better 100% of the time, much clearer with better colour. Then when I flicked around a bit I noticed that on lower quality channels (some Sky SDTV channels have artifacts caused by compression) I could see more artifacts with DNIe enabled. I suppose that comes from the picture being clearer/less blurry though. Personally I prefer the clearer more colourful picture even if it does allow me to notice some artifacts on poorer quality channels. Also I later found out that turning off Digital Noise Reduction fixed just about 100% of the small amount of artifacts I was seeing anyway (wierd since I would have guessed that DNR was there to help remove artifacts...).

I've got a Viewsonic N4060W. Not the topmost of the heap, but it is a good, solid 40" LCD display. I've played through Half-Life 2 on it... no complaints.

I'd probably have gone for one of the Olevia units from Newegg, but the Viewsonic came up on a buy.com rebate sale, so the end price (including the wall mount) was only about $1300. I don't currently have a console actually, so I've got the DVD player hooked up via HDMI, and the HTPC hooked up via VGA.

The deciding factor for me was really physical presence of the unit. I'm extremely happy with having a display this large mounted up on the wall. No longer do I have to sacrifice almost the entirety of one end of the room to the TV... the exit of the old CRT and the old entertainment center, the room is less crowded and simply looks better.

A word of advice: Even though it's a 40" display, the range at which movies and games look good at (couch distance) isn't close enough for web browsing. I find myself squinting to make out words unless I really scale up the font size, and even then there are sites that override the font and keep it too small to read. Minor niggle, though.

personally i think the D62 is the best available LCD line - over the xbr3 and samsung's LNR 1080P line (which I have) the 46" and 52" rock and remember at Best buy you can negotiate price

http://www.sharpusa.com/products/showcase/D62/

Specifications
Screen Size 46" ASV / Black TFT LCD2
Pixel Resolution 1920 x 1080
Brightness 450 cd/m2
Viewing Angle 176º H x 176º V
Lamp Life 60,000 hours3
Audio System 15 W + 15 W
Tuning System ATSC / QAM / NTSC
Contrast Ratio 2000:1 Native / 10,000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio with Enhanced Picture Contrast Technology
Aspect Ratio 16:9
Response Time 4ms1
HDMIâ„¢ Input 2 (1080p compatible)
HD Component Input 2
S-Video Input 1
Composite Video Input (A/V) 3
Audio Inputs (L/R) 4

its cheaper than the other sets i mentioned also

A word of advice: Even though it's a 40" display, the range at which movies and games look good at (couch distance) isn't close enough for web browsing. I find myself squinting to make out words unless I really scale up the font size, and even then there are sites that override the font and keep it too small to read. Minor niggle, though.

I can recommend you use the Opera web browser instead (www.opera.com). With that you can easily use "+" key on your keyboard to zoom the web pages. Opera has very good zooming capabilites aswell as superior other features such as mouse gestures and tabbed browsing. It's also free.

SED is promising but it's taking its time, and won't be cheap to produce.
It's taking it's time, but was tooted as being very cheap. I'd be inclined to buy an SED set becuase it uses 'carbon nanotubes' and that's just soooo geeky, it's got to be good! It can only be superceded by 'Inverse Tachyon Pulse Technology'.

LCD with LED-array backlight and a few new technologies (100Hz and scanning backlight) will be the safest bet for a while, especially when it comes to performace-cost ratio.
Is there any point to 100 Hz LCDs? It made sense to double the scan of CRTs to reduce flicker, but LCDs don't have that problem. If you ask an LCD to change image twice per frame, to show the same image, what does that get you?

It's taking it's time, but was tooted as being very cheap. I'd be inclined to buy an SED set becuase it uses 'carbon nanotubes' and that's just soooo geeky, it's got to be good! It can only be superceded by 'Inverse Tachyon Pulse Technology'.

But you're a laggard, what do you care? You'll probably buy a widescreen CRT in 2010.

Is there any point to 100 Hz LCDs? It made sense to double the scan of CRTs to reduce flicker, but LCDs don't have that problem. If you ask an LCD to change image twice per frame, to show the same image, what does that get you?

No it's different on LCDs. 100Hz on LCD is not there to reduce flicker, it's there to improve motion handling. Basically, as the Samsung set does, the backlight actually turns off (not always on like all LCDs), at 100Hz, meaning there is not flickering, but the motion blur LCDs tend to have is vastly improved (as the screen goes black between one scan and the next).

It's quite neat actually. I also used to think "100Hz on LCD?? what's the point!" until i read about it properly.

Well it depends on whether you can get over the crappy viewing angles and if you're affected by the dreaded rainbow effect. Also, some DLP sets are very prone to lag. DLP is hardly the best out there for gaming.
If you want rear or front projection, I think SXRD is what you should aim for, if you have the money. By far better than DLP. And £1700 for a 55" set is not even THAT much, considering. Still crappy viewing angles though.

Thats very misleading.. I have a DLP set for two years, and I have seen rainbow effect only twice this time (and actually, I was happy when I see it because finally I understand what this rainbow effect is).. With the faster spinning color wheel and with some new techniques, the rainbow effect is almost non-existent, and people tend to repeat is as a fact.

Viewing angles is only problem for vertical.. I have again zero problem for horizontal viewing angles, but you do not watch tv standing most of the time, so I do not think it is a problem at all.

About gaming, I have a Samsung DLP set, and again I do not have any lag issues.

Btw, many SXRD Tv's seems a little better than DLP because they are usually using 3 chip solutions (one for each color component). There is nothing that stops companies to prevent a 3-chip DLP solution as well, but for some reason they are not doing this (Some very expensive front-projector DLPs has this feature tough).

Btw, many SXRD Tv's seems a little better than DLP because they are usually using 3 chip solutions (one for each color component). There is nothing that stops companies to prevent a 3-chip DLP solution as well, but for some reason they are not doing this (Some very expensive front-projector DLPs has this feature tough).

Well i wouldn't say "a little better" but anyway... The point remains, for rear/front projection, SXRD is the superior technology.

Thats very misleading.. I have a DLP set for two years, and I have seen rainbow effect only twice this time (and actually, I was happy when I see it because finally I understand what this rainbow effect is).. With the faster spinning color wheel and with some new techniques, the rainbow effect is almost non-existent, and people tend to repeat is as a fact.

Yes, faster color wheels can mitigate this but as LB was pointing out, *some* people are simply more sensitive to it. I'm partially sensitive but only when I'm flicking my eyes around the screen.

Viewing angles is only problem for vertical.. I have again zero problem for horizontal viewing angles, but you do not watch tv standing most of the time, so I do not think it is a problem at all.

I looked at getting a DLP set instead of a PDP but then found the vertical viewing angles to be atrocious. This was a problem for me, because sometimes I like sit on the floor when playing video games.

About gaming, I have a Samsung DLP set, and again I do not have any lag issues.

By lag, he means the DEsynchronization of Video to Audio like bad Kung Fu movie dubbing. The earlier Samsungs had this problem but I am not sure about recent sets.

Costs and probably it's very hard to properly sync up three mechanical wheels - just guesses from me.

When I first got the TV I'd never heard of DNIe. Then I found the DNIe demo option in the TV menu which splits the screen 50/50, half is normal and the other is with DNIe. While I didn't use the demo mode while watching DVD's I did try it for a bit for normal TV and Sky TV. At first the DNIe side looked better 100% of the time, much clearer with better colour. Then when I flicked around a bit I noticed that on lower quality channels (some Sky SDTV channels have artifacts caused by compression) I could see more artifacts with DNIe enabled. I suppose that comes from the picture being clearer/less blurry though. Personally I prefer the clearer more colourful picture even if it does allow me to notice some artifacts on poorer quality channels. Also I later found out that turning off Digital Noise Reduction fixed just about 100% of the small amount of artifacts I was seeing anyway (wierd since I would have guessed that DNR was there to help remove artifacts...).

Cheers, thanks for the reply.

I had seen the 50/50 demo in a story and indeed it does look better witn DNIe, but was curious as about more real life situations. Good to know thanks...

Cheers, thanks for the reply.

I had seen the 50/50 demo in a story and indeed it does look better witn DNIe, but was curious as about more real life situations. Good to know thanks...

I always leave DNIE off. I have been trying lately to find a good use for it truthfully. Using HDMI usually the signal is as clean as can be... it may be useful on SDTV signals but nealry all my network cable channels have a digital version so the only sd I watch is mtv and the non-HD components of Discovery Channels networks etc...

The 3-chip DLP doesn't use a wheel. Per DLP web site:

"DLP® technology-enabled projectors for very high image quality or very high brightness applications such as cinema and large venue displays rely on a 3-chip configuration to produce stunning images, whether moving or still.

In a 3-chip system, the white light generated by the lamp passes through a prism that divides it into red, green and blue. Each DLP® chip is dedicated to one of these three colors; the colored light that the micromirrors reflect is then combined and passed through the projection lens to form an image."

Why is nobody recomending Plasma? My friend has his xbox360 hooked up to a Plasma display and it is incredible. The only thing I could compare it to is my HD CRT TV. I saw a XBOX connected to a Westinghouse LCD TV and I wasn't impressed.

I love my Westy 42" LCD as I have not seend any ghosting in sports. movies or games and it has a tun of inputs that it can accept 1080p on (Componet, VGA and HDMI). Its not prefect but works very well for a Monitor (it has no tunner but thats ok for me as comcast DVR does the work of tunning for both SD/HD).

Back