Haze : The official game thread

Hmm I'm not sold on this one yet, which is a shame really. I loved TimeSplitters and rate FreeRadical as one of the top developers to get a fun multiplayer experience going at a rock solid framerate. Resistance kind of grabed that title away though.

Haze, as interessting as it sounds, just doesn't come across to be very solid. What a shame.

Sure, happy to help where I can. It's not too often we get to play pre-releases in Australia ;)

There were no informed reps there to comment on which build was being played - potentially it was an early build. This would be surprising though, since there were a lot of hot-looking games across all systems that have not been released being played that were running smoothly - eg, UT3, DarkSector, Link's Crossbow Training, WipeoutHD, etc. None of these had noticeable framerate problems.

As for geometry, the most standout was the trees as I've mentioned. It had the same jarring effect on me like when you see driving games (and the occasional driving sequence in an action game) with non-round wheels - it just sticks out like a sore thumb. The grass reminded me of Oblivion's grass. Otherwise, there's not a lot to comment on - it was an outdoor scene. I didn't get too good a look at the character models since it was in first person, and most of the baddies were taken down at a distance.

Don't know if that's at all enlightening, but it's all I've got. Cheers.
did you happen to attend the egames expo in melbourne? i was there too, plenty of games to suck me up. though uncharted stole most of my attentions.

did you happen to attend the egames expo in melbourne? i was there too, plenty of games to suck me up. though uncharted stole most of my attentions.

I was! What was your biggest game of show? I actually really enjoyed Wipeout HD.

The 360 line-up was terrible, all 3rd party stands playing games that were already out (or shipping this week, like AC and ME). Lots of CoD4 and Halo3. Why you'd go to a show like that to see games you can play at home is beyond me.

Did you happen to play Haze too? You may be able to add a few more comments on top of mine.

I was! What was your biggest game of show? I actually really enjoyed Wipeout HD.

The 360 line-up was terrible, all 3rd party stands playing games that were already out (or shipping this week, like AC and ME). Lots of CoD4 and Halo3. Why you'd go to a show like that to see games you can play at home is beyond me.

Did you happen to play Haze too? You may be able to add a few more comments on top of mine.
nice mate, might just bumped u by the shoulder there lol. the game of the show for me was uncharted for sure, i was so eager to try that one out. AC also looked really good but didnt have a chance to play. yeah i can tell 360's lineup wasnt so refreshing, only ME caught my attention.
actually Haze was the first game i played at that show, the jungle level was pretty nice, abit dark though. graphics was pretty good but hope they'll fix some plant textures as they werent so sharp. overall i havent play much of haze since i wanted try more games out. man i love that small sony room.

Forgive me if I missed an existing post about this, but it seems that Haze has been delayed until 2008:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=30830

Ubisoft has announced its financial results for the first half of the fiscal year, with sales up 52 per cent to 261.4 million euro.
Gross profits for H1 were 167.6 million euro, up from 102.2 million during the first half of the 2006-07 fiscal year. Net income was 30.6 million euro, compared to a loss of 20.5 million during the same period of the prior year.
"Ubisoft's excellent sales performance during the first half of fiscal 2007-08 has considerably boosted our earnings figures for the period," said Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot.
"In addition, the early indications for our Christmas game launches have been positive, especially for Assassin's Creed, whose sell-through sales have already topped the record level of 1 million units.
"These very strong trends further underpin our confidence that we will achieve our objectives for the current year and add further impetus for fiscal 2008-09, which we expect to be another year of robust growth for the Group."
Games for the current generation of hardware now represent 75 per cent of Ubisoft's overall sales, as compared to 39 per cent the prior year.
The company confirmed its outlook for the third quarter and the remainder of the year, forecasting sales of 330 million euro in Q3 and 825 million euro by the end of fiscal 2007-08.
Ubisoft announced that Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas 2 would be released in Q4 2007-08.
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction, originally scheduled for a Q4 release, was moved to fiscal 2008-09. Haze, originally scheduled for a Q3 release, has been moved to Q4 which ends March 31, 2008.

Is the engine that bad :?:

no but it's hardly competitive with some of the best of whats on the market now, let alone when this game was supposed to ship later this year..

Competition is fierce even now & especialy in the FPS market & with a lukewarm initial reception of the game, at least now FRD have a big enough grace period to hopefully re-work the renderer to provide a visually captivating experience with the solid gameplay they are so renowned at providing..

At least I hope they do anyways..

Either that or a complete engine overhaul..

I hope it's the latter.. :D

Ubisoft wants money from PS3 - they delay all their PS3 titles. I'm not surprised. My nottingham buddies are ready...regretting joining with Ubisoft? Hmm I dunno...they did say they could do whatever they want.

Either that, or Ubi is delaying to do a simultaneous release on other platforms (360, PC).
Not sure why'd they'd want to delay a finished product to have a similtaneous release... doesn't seem to make much sense to me. Realistically they probably need more time on the PS3 version, though this will likely lead to the "timed exclusive" gap diminishing.

My personal guess is following the phenomenal sales of Assassin's Creed on 360 they don't want to blow their chances at another multi-million seller, and will likely do a simultaneous console release. Ubi's Console to PC ports seem to be an afterthought at best.

I realise AC did quite well on PS3 (2nd best seller over the holiday?) however even with proportional sales, that's still, what, 25% of their potential sales pool if they did a simultaneous release on 360. AC did fantastically for what was considered to be a non-AAA game.

AC did fantastically for what was considered to be a non-AAA game.
Yea the game received nothing but hype since it was announced. And then there was the whole Jade Raymond thing. A testament to the hype that the game sold so much despite the repetitive gameplay.

It appears to me their engine was designed with certain concessions in mind, like 4 player coop/MP on screen. If PS3 owners snub yet another title due to "under delivering" on unrealistic expectations, ignoring the good that is there, well... not every title can be, or needs to be, an absolute "best at the time" graphics (or physics etc) title. That said, the fact Haze is going aggressively at online coop- / multiplayer may not match the best with the lead demographic.

I thought this game was one of THE reasons to get a PS3? According to a lot of fanboys it was :)

Anyhoo I saw a gameplay video and was completely turned off by the nectar grenade and running around with a knife vs people in armoured suits. It looked a bit iffy to me.

I will be optimistic and assume the delay is to release the game between Killzone 2 and Resistance 2.

I thought this game was one of THE reasons to get a PS3? According to a lot of fanboys it was :)
I have seen more fanboys downplaying the game then praising it. ;)

Back