Halo Infinite [Fall 2021] [XO, XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

+1 to this. I mean, I get that this is our hobby so we care about video game crunch, but I have a friend who worked for a 3d animation studio that worked on some big projects. Feature films, superhero movies, fully CG family stuff also. They litterally crunched non-stop. When he were done crunching on his teams projects, they would jump onto other projects that needed to be done. Outside of last year, and special circumstances like that, movies rarely get delayed like games do, so you crunch to get them done. He left the industry after looking around for another studio to work for, only to find out they were pretty much all like that. I think he was working overtime and not getting paid for it to get done the work that was expected of him. And I've never heard anyone complain about, nor read an article about CG animators being in a constant crunch, unless it revolved around games.

Every job has some form of crunch.

I worked retail and the holidays come around your working crazy hours on holidays with the rudest people being assholes to you. I worked for a school district as a tech and the week before school starts there is a mad rush to have new programs that some idiot some where decided to spend several hundreds of thousands in liscensing fees that just need to be on the machines before school starts. Kids never used those programs once. Also the janitors go in a week before school starts and wax all the floors so your busting your ass moving machines out only to move them back in ( this was just as laptops in schools were becoming a thing) . I worked in resturants and of course during every holiday your crushed with business. Working faster than ever to get people seated , fed , out the door and then bus that table so the next party can come on in.

Its just what it is in every field.

yeah wen i was working in an infrastructure project, It also got crunch. The field workers got crunch every single day.

i have mostly automated my work so even if I need to crunch, I simply let the computer in the office turned on overnight and do its thing. and stick a piece of A4 paper with "DO NOT TURN OFF" written on it. Or if I need mapping or something like that, I simply let the drone fly and go back by itself (yes its illegal).

But when the big boss suddenly got a sudden request/job with ridiculous deadline (e.g. evening says the job, need tomorrow morning) then a real crunch it is....

I've done crunch, but never I've gone burnout to the point of being unable to do basic tasks like when I started programming.
I don't think we can equate occasional hard work to continuous burnout.

I've done crunch, but never I've gone burnout to the point of being unable to do basic tasks like when I started programming.
I don't think we can equate occasional hard work to continuous burnout.

The continuous burnout on other field, e.g. On the infrastructure project also result in higher accident and mortality.

I didn't do any record but every time the higher ups give more pressure to work fast, just a few weeks after that, there will be accident in the field, and the OSHA will keeps saying to the workers to be careful, have enough rest, etc and the reporting to higher ups = 0 accident.

So, yeah, continuous crunch is really bad

Every job has some form of crunch.

I worked retail and the holidays come around your working crazy hours on holidays with the rudest people being assholes to you. I worked for a school district as a tech and the week before school starts there is a mad rush to have new programs that some idiot some where decided to spend several hundreds of thousands in liscensing fees that just need to be on the machines before school starts. Kids never used those programs once. Also the janitors go in a week before school starts and wax all the floors so your busting your ass moving machines out only to move them back in ( this was just as laptops in schools were becoming a thing) . I worked in resturants and of course during every holiday your crushed with business. Working faster than ever to get people seated , fed , out the door and then bus that table so the next party can come on in.

Its just what it is in every field.
I was going to bring up retail and food service, but I think most people would recognize that they crunch every holiday, or in the case of food service everyday at lunch and dinner time. Those are front facing displays of crunch, where people see the line of cars at a taco bell or the full tables at any other eatery. Doing some active searching, I have now found some articles about movie FX and animation crunch, but I haven't seen the consumers being upset about it like they are for games. I know some people say they are going to boycott studios or publishers, for example EA went through this with the whole "EA spouse" scandal and I'm sure others, but I've never seen a person say they weren't going to watch whatever movie because of the working conditions of the animators. They are more likely to skip a movie because the star is part of some cult or has an abusive past.

... or in the case of food service everyday at lunch and dinner time.

This isn't crunch. The workers are still working 8 hours shifts usually with state or federally mandated breaks although some franchise owners or managers may not strictly adhere to that. But that's generally rare as it's super easy to report that to the local government office that overseas these things. Regardless it's easy to schedule people's breaks around lunch and dinner rushes. Likewise Holiday season doesn't affects fast food restaurants like it does retail sectors that see Holiday shopping spikes.

The only time you'll see something analogous to crunch at a fast food restaurant is when someone unexpectedly quits, calls in sick, or is horribly mismanaged. The first two cases usually result in some of the workers volunteering for overtime as they'll now be making 1.5x - 2.0x hourly pay as opposed to many programmers who are salaried and thus are still getting the exact same pay regardless of whether they are working overtime or not. The last cases usually don't last long as the restaurant will usually see diminished revenue for a variety of reasons.

Having worked at both fast food places when I was young (super busy at lunch due to being near a High School) as well as at places that actually have crunch, I've never seen anything or heard of anything from other fast food workers that's remotely like the crunch that programmers go through or photography developing companies (I worked for one once and during busy season you're working 12-14 hour shifts for about 2-3 months when schools are having class photos taken).

Regards,
SB

Been watching reactions on the Xbox showcase & one of the takes I kept seeing were people being surprised that Microsoft didn't announce a launch date while announcing launch dates for Forza Horizon 5, Starfield & others. Sounds like a strategic reason. To keep competitors on their toes. You'd think it would release in November to coincide with the 20 year anniversary, but that would crowd around FH5. Interestingly enough they are not releasing any 1st party games in September. That could be a big surprise they could hold for a bit. Maybe they are waiting on more console supply? I feel we will hear the date by August.

Tommy McClain

Some nice things they are doing with the F2P multiplayer.
  • No loot boxes.
  • Everything must be earned in game.
  • Battle Passes are how they monetize it.
  • Battle Passes never expire
    • I hate this about how games currently implement Battle Passes with expiration dates making you feel like you have to buy it and feel like you HAVE to play alot in order to unlock everything.
  • You will always be able to purchase older Battle Passes.
    • Again, I hate how current games have limited time availability of Battle Passes which again, makes you feel like you HAVE to play if you don't want to miss out on something cool.
  • You choose which Battle Pass you want your progression to apply to as you play.
  • Everything in Battle Pass is purely cosmetic.
The grappling hook looks really good. You can grapple to players, you can grapple items to you, and you can grapple around the landscape.

The new vehicle has a storage compartment that can hold all kinds of things, including potentially the enemy flag in CTF.

Ammo and weapons don't just magically appear, but come in via drop pods. The gameplay effect is the same, but it's much more immersive. I do wonder if this will apply to all ammo or will there still be ammo spawn points.

Vehicles are also dropped off by drop ships rather than just appearing.

Bots are implemented so you can practice against bots.

Customizable AI (the Cortana like AI, not enemy AI, although that might be customizable too) with different voices, personalities, and looks.

Multiplayer looks pretty good. Kind of makes me want to try it out, but with my old man reflexes, I'd get slaughtered. :p

Regards,
SB

I think that graphics rarely are a focus when its a multiplayer oriented title. Not even if its a next gen only one (look at destruction allstars).

One nice thing about Halo games in multiplayer is that the teams are always red and blue, assuming that Infinite still colors players red or blue then you don't run into the situation that you have in Fortnite, COD and other competitive multiplayer games where "cosmetic" looks can give you a massive competitive advantage. Like black or really dark cosmetics on a night-time map/dark cave/room or white/snow camo cosmetics on a snow map or desert camo/brown/khaki cosmetics on desert maps, etc.

That's always been one of the best things about Halo multiplayer, it's not only easy to tell at a glance whether a player is friend or foe, but target acquisition is always the same.

Regards,
SB

Back