Halo day! (Halo 3 new pic, open beta and teaser info)

The latest swedish magazine scans and those 1UP got (has it got them yet?) surely don't look anything like the trailer. If the game engine already was running on xb360 in time of the trailer, why the huge difference?

The single player engine is new. The multi-player is a different one (port from the old MP engine).

What did 1up do to those screens? :smile:

These look better...

http://www.halobase.de/screenshots.php?blam=4&c=200611

I cant say that i am really impressed...
There is a particular screenshot , the only one who looks first person , where you can see alot of jaggies and low res textures without bmaping for the metallic surface of the weapon. Also anyone else who think that the trees are unimpressive ? .
Apart from this the mp part of the game looks decent with some screens looking more realistic than others ( like this one ).

Errrrrr

Man after reading (seeing :cry: ) this Decembers EGM Halo 3 issue; one thing comes to mind. WTF!! What happend in the graphics department!? God those pics/graphics looked dated. :cry:

Apparently, a different engine is used for multiplayer and single player.
The pics must be from the multiplayer engine, whereas the trailer was using the singleplayer engine.
Why? Beats me...
Do games usually have different (graphics) engines for single- and multiplayer.
I know multiplayer ofthen has things like more aggressive LOD enabled in the engine, but different engines altogether?

GR:AW is the only other game I know that uses two different engines. It helps with development apparently. Single player and multiplayer teams can develop the specifics of their engine independently and the sort.

Weekly update is up. Very short and to the point. Issue of the campaign picture is addressed:

First off, the screenshot. Here’s the deal. Brian grabbed a controller, moved the Chief up against a wall from a level in Campaign, and typed a debug command to take a shot. We ran the shot in Newsweek and then later, right here on Bungie.net. We took the shot at 2X so you could use it for wallpaper or whatever. But just to be clear, it’s a very ordinary, if atmospheric moment from the game. Well, ordinary in the graphical sense. Naturally that building is crawling with the Chief’s foes, and he’s not really going to get a chance to stand around chewing the fat.
Woah, did I call that or what? I'm gonna set up a psychic booth right now. I'll use this to influence someone into giving me a PS3 so I can play Resistance, because newer environments and some stuff about "factions" has greatly intrigued me.

(It's also possible that it was just really obvious, too....)
There’s been some speculation that it’s totally different than that showed in the E3 trailer. Well, that’s just lighting. There have been some minor tweaks to the Chief model, but he’s about 99% identical.
Expected/10. Considering nearly every problem has to do with lighting (specular, lighting on fingers, reflectance in visor) or camera angle (breaking the illusion of normal mapping), well, just "haha"? I suppose the real question to ask, to be serious for a moment, is: How much of a Good Thing (tm)/ Bad Thing (tm) is it that the difference in lighting can produce such drastically different opinions of the same game (which ranges from "that looks pretty good" to "Man that looks like total ****") in screenshots/movies/whatever form you experience it in?

Also, in today's 1UP Show, Luke reiterated that it would make you go "Gears of you don't care." So Luke seems to be sticking with it. Confident much?

In any case, 3 big meetings for Bungie. 1) with Marvel Comics (new hotness), 2) something collectible for next year (how many possibilities are there?), and 3) The CG trailer from Digital Domain, which will soon receive some close man-love from Marty and co. from the music department.

Regarding the last one, there was some discussion of this trailer in... 1UP Yours or 1UP Show... and it seems like Bungie was pretty quiet when they asked who the director for the CG was. 1UP seems to think it's Blomkamp, and this trailer has something to do with strongarming him in after the two movie studios dropped Halo. I'm not too sure I'm willing to accept that as truly plausible.... but I would sure like to see it happen. And it would also make quite a bit of sense if you still have a question floating around your head similar to "why would Bungie do CG stuff?" Of course, IIRC, some of the TV spots/trailer for Halo 2 were CG as well.

Weekly Update
1UP Show
1UP Yours

Also, in today's 1UP Show, Luke reiterated that it would make you go "Gears of you don't care." So Luke seems to be sticking with it. Confident much?

I trust Luke to be as objective about Halo as I would expect Shane to be with Metal Gear Solid. i.e. blinded by rampant fanboism.

GR:AW is the only other game I know that uses two different engines. It helps with development apparently. Single player and multiplayer teams can develop the specifics of their engine independently and the sort.

You mean there are different engines for multiplayer and single player modes?

Does this mean downgrade in graphics between the two?

uber res grabs of those MP screenshots are now online:

http://www.bungie.net/Games/Halo3/gallery.aspx?gallery=Screenshots&page=1

Pretty crisp... though I wonder how it'd compare to just Halo 2 MP with high res textures. The only noticeable things missing would be the crazy bumps and specular. Looks like they've got more animation frames. See pink spartan on the ramp. The plasma grenade explosion looks very nice. :D

....where exactly is that white spartan jumping down from? How did he get that high up in the air? :???:

....launching white spartans at high velocities in order to.... penetrate the highly fortified base? That's what the man cannon is for? :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
new pic from the CG trailer coming next Monday for MNF, using in game assets

1164911684.jpg

hi res here:
http://www.havamedia.net/CGR/8/M/HAVAContent/Images/16000/16530.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back