Halo Anniversary

It solves the problem I have now where I can't use my beloved bumper jumper from Halo 3 in Reach. Now i can go back to it and use Kinect as my other "buttons".

Well firstly, Halo 1 doesn't have armor abilities so presumably there'd be no problem with using bumper jumper. I doubt they'd have added voice controls to the multiplayer anyway which runs in the Reach engine.

Of course, the real solution to the bumper jumper problem in Reach is to get a Razer Onza controller, which have two extra programmable bumpers which (with practice) work absolutely great.

Human faces and character animations are still kinda... rough, and not really up to AA standards.
Rest of the game looks very pretty though.

Human faces and character animations are still kinda... rough, and not really up to AA standards.
Rest of the game looks very pretty though.

Yeah Johnson particularly looks off IMO.:???:

Wonder how much overlaying the new meshes on the old models have effected the final outcome of the current gen models.

They've completely redone character animations in the cinematics, so I don't think the new models had much to do with the old ones. They simply didn't create particularly good new animations. Wonder why they did not try mocap...

Maybe they're not setup for it? Saber would have to do it, no? Not 343 industries.

They've completely redone character animations in the cinematics
Yeah.. the original animations were pretty basic compared to these. Movement seems decent enough to me, though I'm not the professional.

The lip sync is just lol though.

There's something weird about Keyes, and I'm not sure if it's just the lighting or texture res, but here he is in Reach:

pauFM.jpg
gpyZw.jpg

Looks like they're using a different model in Anniversary, and it's not particularly good... :/

• Cortana looks like the Halo 3 version.
  • Johnson does look pretty goofy, like his mouth and cheeks are scrunched up a centimeter or two.
  • The one technician at the end has this weird baby head look to him. I hope he's not modeled after someone. :p
  • Well, at least they fixed the Master Chief's armour. Looks good.

I'm also interested in using Windows Phone 7 to locate my team. Sure, gears 3 accomplishes it by holding down LB. But using yet another gadget in the mix is intriguing.
Microsoft's answer to the WiiU? XD

mm... kinda disappointing unless it's just early footage. Somehow AotCR isn't so interesting to see although Two Betrayals looked noticeably better than classic.

For all the environment geometry they've altered on Silent Cartographer, the angular geometry in the Control Room (the Marathon logo platform) is pretty awful to see still. :???:

The forest in 343 Guilty Spark has to be the most significant (and best) set of changes.

The bridges in AotCR/Two Betrayals... look kinda wrong with no lighting from the laser beams (around 3 min in). :s

The other levels inside the ships are looking nice, though I suppose it's tough to expect the same level of visuals that Bungie achieved in Long Night of Solace on the Covenant ship.

Truth & Reconciliation... nice foliage additions to the ground-side environment. New mountain backgrounds too... I like.

-----

Kind of a mixed level of quality.

Framerate in the snow area outside the control room looks very bad.

I guess it is one of the most open and populated areas in the game..

Yeah the frame rate has been rather inconsistent in most of the vids released so far. Hopefully they iron it out before release.

They've completely redone character animations in the cinematics, so I don't think the new models had much to do with the old ones. They simply didn't create particularly good new animations. Wonder why they did not try mocap...

Totally forgot about this, never mind on my earlier comment then. :p

I think the level I want to see the most in CEA is the second mission 'Halo'. It looked beautiful for an Xbox game with its massive environments. Foliage galore? ;)

I loved playing this level as "divide and conquor" in co-op since the entire last outdoor area was one big zone with no loading.

It was a complete slideshow, obviously. But it was awesome anyway.

Somewhat negative leaning Halo :A preview that's interesting (mentions framerate issues) http://www.oxmonline.com/halo-ce-anniversary-hands-preview
I wonder if the memory budget for this game is very tight. I mention this because they have 64 less Megabytes of RAM, which was the memory the original Xbox, compared to Halo Reach, because of the feature of switching from Xbox 1 graphics to modern graphics in real time, so they have to keep Xbox assets in memory all the time.

I just finished the original Halo once, because I bought my Xbox when Halo 2 came out, in 2004. Good memories. I also bought Morrowind GOTY edition one of those Christmas days, but that's another story.

Hm... So, got this last night. Install was taking a loooong time. Was in a rush to get playing so I didn't check the size. :oops:

Performance at first seemed really really really shitty, but it seemed to be ok a few hours later. I highly suspect that the performance problems I was having was because the game for some reason was downloading the Reach Map Pack in the background. I didn't notice until I went back to menu and the thing told me the download was paused! So yeah, make sure if you redeemed the code that the download is paused or finished (1.6GB) because the stuttering and pausing for no apparent graphical load (pillar of autumn hallways ffs) was just silly.

Later in the evening I got a notification that the download was finished while I was playing the game, which is highly unusual to the say the least, but suffice to say that the performance was much more solid after.

Spent 30 minutes trying to get at one skull (requires grenade jumping). -_-

This is the first time since the original Halo that I didn't buy a Halo game at the midnight launch. The family budget would only allow me to purchase one game before the Holiday season. So I picked Arkham City since I had already played the original Halo. I suspect I will get it eventually, especially for the achievements. But the new graphics, soundtrack & terminals look interesting as well. I'll probably end up trading in Arkham City for a new copy of Halo Anniversary. BTW, wished they would have done this for Halo 2 as well. Then the whole Halo franchise would be on the 360 with achievements & Live multiplayer.

Tommy McClain

They really try to make the dynamic lighting pop out. It's pretty nifty at times, especially with none of the shadows being baked (environment shadows too). Playing single player, you kind of miss a bit of that because you don't have a player body and don't cast shadows, but with co-op, your spartan pal is there to show how he/she interacts with the lighting and shadows ("just run around with the plasma pistol overcharged dammit!")

Legendary is quite a treat with the enemies shooting projectiles at insane rates. Fighting the hunters on silent cartographer was a short but sweet moment in lighting (green bolts vs rockets in a confined area).

They really tried to brighten up rooms that previously were just monotone.

Back