Halo 3 release date: Confirmed *Sept 25th

Uh.... Halo goes into 3rd person all the time... even moreso in 3.

Turrets.
Vehicles.
Heavy weapons.
Co-op.

And calling it a "photo mode" is irrelevant, unless you know something we don't. ;)

OH NOOOEEESSs... i did it. I PREORDERED THE LEGENDARY Edition... the Bunus Disc you guys posted about should be sweet. Now that helmet, if it is not big enough to put it on or small enough to put it on my desk@work i'll sell it...maybe :LOL:

Screen looks good. I like the new "old" armor. Looks more "streamlined"

It took the Halo series way too long to discover the concept of foliage. Literally this is the first Halo game I've seen that actually included grass and flowers that weren't just the ground model. I didn't get too far into Halo 2, but I don't remember seeing any there either. Also a lot of people are harping over the fact that the player models have taken a "generational leap." Is anyone else disappointed that the Chief looks NOTHING like the original render that was posted among the first set of images? There's been an obvious texture downgrade.

Last edited by a moderator:
It took the Halo series way too long to discover the concept of foliage. Literally this is the first Halo game I've seen that actually included grass and flowers that weren't just the ground model. I didn't get too far into Halo 2, but I don't remember seeing any there either. Also a lot of people are harping over the fact that the player models has taken a "generational leap." Is anyone else disappointed that the Chief looks NOTHING like the original render that was posted among the first set of images? There's been an obvious texture downgrade.

True..

But the lightning and shaders being shown off here is MILES better than we we've all been looking at in the beta and that's why people are getting excited..

To be honest I wasn't expecting much more than what the beta displayed but at least now i'm very intruiged to see what the final Halo 3 has to offer..

Dude, the new pic looks like a generational leap.

I'm not sure if you're trying to argue or... sarcasm? What's with the "dude" attitude :?: Where did I say it wasn't a generational leap? If you're referring to my post with the shot of Halo 2, read again... I'm talking about the art direction.

All in all though his visor looks like a bad case of Hep C. Why so orange? Sticks out like a...u know.
It looks like there's an explosion being reflected.

It took the Halo series way too long to discover the concept of foliage. Literally this is the first Halo game I've seen that actually included grass and flowers that weren't just the ground model. I didn't get too far into Halo 2, but I don't remember seeing any there either.
There's foliage on Delta Halo/Regret. Vines and shrubs are attached to buildings... There are different plants on Uprising in the beginning. I'm not sure what you mean by grass that isn't the ground model... Grass is on the ground by nature, and there was certainly grass on the level Halo in the first game.

Is anyone else disappointed that the Chief looks NOTHING like the original render that was posted among the first set of images? There's been an obvious texture downgrade.

You may want to read earlier in this thread:
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1028080&postcount=72

It was a change in art direction, so of course it looks nothing like the first images. But yeah, the texture resolution has taken a hit or it's more obvious without the noise.

That last pic looks awesome!

More pics please. Would like to see the environments too :)

Eh... if I'm not mistaken this is a FPS game and Master Chief doesn't appear on screen unless it's a cut scene or he becomes a dead rag doll ;)

Yes, you're mistaken.

Halo cuts to 3rd person in a variety of situations including driving vehicles, holding gatling guns or rocket launchers and cut-scenes.

I'd guess the new pic was an in game cut scene, like Gears did or like Forza 2's replay mode.

It's funny how you automatically assume that, says something about your auto-bias doesn't it?

Bungie said:
It's not a cutscene, it's a carefuly posed screenshot from Campaign. You can carefully pose and take your own screenshots in Campaign, in the game, in Sept 25th.

It's funny how you automatically assume that, says something about your auto-bias doesn't it?

Sorry, I live in reality. I don't expect a game with Halo's scope to have the fidelity of that screenshot.

Thanks for the personal attack, funny thing is the only game I have pre-ordered (paid in full) right now on any system is... Halo 3.

Sorry, I live in reality. I don't expect a game with Halo's scope to have the fidelity of that screenshot.

The screenshots looks nothing above what could be achieved. In many games the main character has higher res textures and more detail than regular enemies. It is just a well taken ss and people would probably not argue if it was real ingame or not if it had been taken showing more of the ground (expect the ultra AA).

Does the screenshot exist in 720 res?

There appears to be a severe handicap in people reading the thread today!

I blame it on the heat! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
H3_WSJ_CHIEFNEWS.jpg

It's good to be the King. :cool: ;)

Thanks for the personal attack, funny thing is the only game I have pre-ordered (paid in full) right now on any system is... Halo 3.

You need to relax, a lot of your recent posts are very biased or written with very little knowledge of what's really going on.

There's foliage on Delta Halo/Regret. Vines and shrubs are attached to buildings... There are different plants on Uprising in the beginning. I'm not sure what you mean by grass that isn't the ground model... Grass is on the ground by nature, and there was certainly grass on the level Halo in the first game.

The grass in Halo, I assume you're talking about the level immediately after your escape from the ship in the beginning, was a ground texture that created the illusion of grass by essentially just being green. Actual grass that protruded from the ground is what I'm talking about, let alone foliage of any sort which was completely out of the question. Three dimensional grass I've never seen in my entire career of playing any of the Halo games. Halo 2 may have improved grass textures, I told you already I didn't play very much of it, but take a look at this:

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action...t=convert&om_clk=tabs&tag=tabs;images&page=16

Sept 10, 4th image. The grass is literally just green ground. Then again after some research I do see some screens with three dimensional grass.

I'm lost. And this argument is stupid.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1027902&postcount=65

There appears to be a severe handicap in people reading the thread today!

http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Halo3/Screenshots/H3_WSJ_CHIEF.jpg

The AA you see in the small pic is a result of regular AA and downsizing. The AA isn't perfect, but it does look like 4x.

I'm lost. And this argument is stupid.

*shrug* Well, at least I know what you mean now! (3D foliage) 3D Grass: no. 3D plants/vines/shrubs? Yes.

On a side-note...
Bungie Weekly Update June 22 said:
A super awesome new effect crept into the HUD this week and I first stumbled across it in campaign. Historically, in Halo there have been damage indicators that pointed you in the direction you were receiving fire. The collection of space wizards working on the HUD are tinkering with a different way of notifying players they are taking damage. This new effect makes taking damage a completely immersive inside-the-helmet type experience. But I've only seen a rough pass. It'll probably change.

Just noticed... Maybe the HUD will go all fuzzy wuzzy ala Doom 3.

The screenshots looks nothing above what could be achieved. In many games the main character has higher res textures and more detail than regular enemies. It is just a well taken ss and people would probably not argue if it was real ingame or not if it had been taken showing more of the ground (expect the ultra AA).

Yes here http://www.xboxyde.com/news_4533_fr.html

Anti-aliasing was probably x2 or may be x4 in some area…
Bungie clearly indicated it's a photo "you can take in-game" so some photo mode in Halo3…

I agree with your statement on the main character in TPS, but in FPS… is rare…

Well in any case, you were dead wrong.

Yes here http://www.xboxyde.com/news_4533_fr.html

Anti-aliasing was probably x2 or may be x4 in some area…
Bungie clearly indicated it's a photo "you can take in-game" so some photo mode in Halo3…

Yes I see now in the full-size image, seems like 4xAA.

I agree with your statement on the main character in TPS, but in FPS… is rare…

Yes but if you can enter photo mode when playing then why not add some extra detail to the main character since you will see him not only when dead or in ingame realtime cut-scenes.

Back