Halo 3 release date: Confirmed *Sept 25th

Sidenote, but Eric Nylund's 3 Halo books are really quite good, and do an excellent job of filling in the gaps between the games, plus fleshing out the Halo universe quite a bit.

There's another novel coming out later this year too. It's by Joe Staten. :D

Don't see it myself. Looks like a rather flat UE3 type engine not doing anything special, except perhaps excellent texture fidelity. And even that's probably a bit skewed towards the better-than-actual end of the spectrum by the promotional IQ.

still danged nice for a multiplayer experience that values balance and speed above all and is considered 2nd to none by many.

hold your breath for the SP stuff coming later. ;)

The armour colouring appears to reflect whichever surface is underfoot pretty accurately. Sandy looking on sand, greyish on concrete and the like. Would that be a part of their Global HDR?

BTW environments (without Spartans though) are reflected in visors:
http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/800/800896/halo-3-20070701092736513.jpg
Cool

I wonder if the Campaign mode will feature reflections of the characters and environments during the cinematic scenes? From what I can recall, the reflections featured in the E3 trailer last year were pretty good, and it would be nice to see that level of quality carry over to the final game.

On a side note: Is there a single game out that has reflective surfaces that properly display the environment around them (characters and all)?

EDIT: I just reviewed the E3 2K6 trailer and it looks as if the Master Chief's visor reflects everything (himself, ground, sky and space ships), which I thought was very impressive. I really hope the final game looks as good as that trailer, maintaining that level of scale would make the game feel very atmospheric along with increasing the games epic feel.

Last edited by a moderator:
On a side note: Is there a single game out that has reflective surfaces that properly display the environment around them (characters and all)?
Just checked PGR4 teaser to see if Bizarre was doing that kind of stuff, but it seems that even their game won't have it - I saw only environment on car reflections or on wet road surface.

EDIT: I just reviewed the E3 2K6 trailer and it looks as if the Master Chief's visor reflects everything (himself, ground, sky and space ships), which I thought was very impressive. I really hope the final game looks as good as that trailer, maintaining that level of scale would make the game feel very atmospheric along with increasing the games epic feel.
Yes, that trailer was incredible. Surely you could nitpick a lot of things, but still that was the most amazing thing I saw on next-gen consoles. Master Chief's visor should be the same way in the final game's cut-scenes. It would be amazing if we could see these reflections while rotating camera when Master Chief's on warthog or other vehicles.

Outside of the excessive AA, if the final version of multiplayer looks like this, the game is gonna rock!
The screenshots look like the Beta to me other than improved IQ and reflections on visors. Though I agree with you, if Bungie could improve IQ (add some AA and improve texture filtering), it would totally rock!

Originally Posted by Inquisitive_Idiot View Post
not yet, (ala pgr3+4,forza 2,gthd etc dont)
the only correct way is with raycasting (which no console game has done AFAIK)

heres one on the pc that does have accurate reflections (the bowling one)
http://www.realstorm.com/realstorm/screenshots.html
from memory it ran ~10fps at 640x480 on my 2ghz amd64

looking at the halo3 screenshots
A/ lighting is not unified, why not?
B/ its looks like shadowmaps with PCF (though only a few objects cast shadows, similar like halflife2 etc)
true they wanna hit 60fps but personally ild like to see them raise the lighting quality + cut the fps to 30

Last edited by a moderator:
PGR3 had the cars reflect the environment and other cars.
Really? I don't remember that.

I love that part:
Tyson Green: (...) The thing is, if you took every single multiplayer map and stitched them together into this unholy fusion of a multiplayer map, it would probably be about the same size as some of the single-player maps, right?

Jaime Griesemer: Yeah - half of a small single-player mission!
Scale is going to be amazing.:smile:

Someone on NeoGAF found an apparent picture of the Halo 3 Singleplayer in the Wall Street Journal.

PJ-AK511A_pjBIG_20070703195116.jpg

TAKE THIS WITH A GRAIN OF SALT

Back