Halo 3 release date: Confirmed *Sept 25th

Bungie weekly update said:
We released a shot from the Campaign yesterday. It’s the second actually, and both shots are ostensibly very similar. Simple poses of the Chief in environments from the single player game. They were both designed with the same purpose in mind – just a taste of Campaign and a wallpaper-worthy portrait of a Spartan with an Assault Rifle. As before, it came under a lot of scrutiny.

The shot was taken by our very own Sketch. He detached the camera on an early level, flew out a little, made sure nothing too revealing was in the background, and took a shot. There you have it. It’s not only the game engine, it’s the game. Accusations of “bullshot” were especially amusing given the utter lack of stuff in the shot. A dude, some clouds, a mountain. Not only was it not fake, it would have been the most pointless fake in the history of gaming.

However,the scrutineers went wild. What was that explosion reflecting in his visor (hint: it’s not an explosion, it’s something quite ordinary) and was the mountain in the background geometry (yes) and those clouds volumetric (no, although we do have volumetric stuff elsewhere in the game) and could you go all the way to that mountain (yes, but not without some unforeseen High Impact Halo antics)? Was the mountain Kilimanjaro (who’s to say)? And that grass in the lower left looks fake (it’s actually a treeline, in the very far distance).

Then there was the complaint that it was different than the model shown at E3. Well it was, but only in that we replaced the “concrete” hammered finish texture with a flatter metal version that the artists here preferred, and was more akin to the previous iterations of the Spartan MJOLNIR metal. Otherwise the model is identical. It’s literally the same geometry.

I am really glad Bungie posted this...

Bungie.net said:
Bungie Day Extravaganza
Posted by SketchFactor at 7/6/2007 12:00 PM PDT

July 7th has come to be known as "Bungie Day" amongst our fan community and this year is extra special on account of it actually falling in a year ending with 7. If you're new to our fan community, do some digging to find out the rich history of Bungie and the number 7 and you'll see why 7/7/07 has special meaning within our family.

Lukems and the Bungie.net team have some cool things lined up for the site tomorrow but we also managed to pull a few strings to make some extra special content available on Xbox 360 Marketplace. I won't spoil the fun and tell you exactly what it is (don't get too excited, it's not Halo 3 - think something of a more decorative nature) but I did want to give you a heads-up that these commemorative goodies are ONLY available on 7/7/07 and then they are gone forever.

Log on to Marketplace any time starting at approximately 2:00 AM PDT on July 7th and get it while you can. Once the clock strikes midnight on Saturday, this content is gone forever. Don't say we didn't warn you.

Spread the word throughout the Bungie community and join us on Marketplace and Bungie.net tomorrow for good times. And we wouldn't have a "Bungie Day" without our loyal fans who have stuck by us for so long. Thanks for all of your support and here's to 2007 - the best year yet in the history of Bungie Studios and our fan community!

Looks like that's about 5.5 hours from now.

Tommy McClain

Yeah, but so are the gamerpics. ;) See my new one. Hehe.

Tommy McClain

There is no way your gamerpic is in-game. Must be photomode. :LOL:

Bungie's PR is top-class... really dealing with both the fans and the frustrating sceptics in a way which is both sincere and revealing.

Are they Marathon related? There's lots of gossip that Marathon will hit XBLA over E3.

One of the gamerpics is the classic marathon symbol. Besides that, it's pretty diverse. A Seventh column gamerpic, Mister chief, Marty O'Donnell, etc...

The Theme has a picture with characters from all the previous Bungie games, all thrown together.

All their past work, really.

I hope that Marathon rumor is true. 1, Durandal, and infinity. " 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one."

halo2.JPG

halo3.JPG

halo4.JPG

halo6.JPG

:p

This game is starting to look nice.

The colors and lighting seem very natural. Gives a more believable and realistic vibe than games such as Rainbow Six or GoW

This game is starting to look nice.

The colors and lighting seem very natural. Gives a more believable and realistic vibe than games such as Rainbow Six or GoW

Yeah but I wish they could use the same natural approach on the helmets. I mean clearly its not a processing issue, but a stylistic one. Still, I'm not in love with the extremely orange helmets that stick out like a sore thumb.

Hey cool! He's wearing the same magnetic suit that clamps rifles to it as in Gears of War!

Back