Halo 3 : first infos *

More Halo 3 info

Eurogamer have posted some new/more info about Halo 3

Concrete details about Halo 3 have started to appear on the Internet after Bungie invited a few magazine people round for tea and Blood Gulch, with subscriber issues of Swedish magazine LEVEL revealing weapon, vehicle, level, control and collector's edition details. The latter sounds particularly eye-catching - or should we say 'head-catching', since it apparently includes a replica Spartan helmet.

I can understand not posting the scans themselves but not being able to post a link to the scans? Oh well the scans aren't that clear anyway.

The only difference is that you click on the link. So it's essentially the same thing.

I saw today that Halo 3 is going to include the "man cannon", and I thought to myself, "ZOMG, MS Marketing is targetting london-boy!" :cool:

I saw today that Halo 3 is going to include the "man cannon", and I thought to myself, "ZOMG, MS Marketing is targetting london-boy!" :cool:

:LOL:

To add something more to this post.... er...hope the EGM issue really is chock-full of more info than the Swedish magazine. I don't want 14 pages worth of "pre-alpha"/"alpha"/beta game pictures and a few blurbs of info covering what we've already read.

...then what do you want then :?: The game is in beta until gold. :p
Pffffft. Let me rephrase that as "early beta" then. I didin't think pre-alpha/alpha were even anywhere near good enough for stable multiplayer matches with magazine guys. But meh on all of the words. alpha, beta, omega, gold, silver, tactical, run and gun, first person, third person, second person, it's all someone else's made-up BS. :p

Actually, you know what, I don't want any pictures, nor any info. They can shove it all! Heh. Gears will be here in a week and a half anyway.

Edit: Plus Ghosts of Onyx, for those that are interested.

I can see being liable for photos on your site but being liable for posting the link????
Psssst! Hey, NKB-Steve! Wanna buy some watches? OR HDDVD players? Cheap, right. I don't sell 'em meself, but here's the address of a guy who'll be happy to do business with you...

Linking to a place with scans is the same as linking to a site where you can buy illegal goods or download pirated software. They are breaking the law, and linking to them is fueling their law-breakerage and implicitly condoning their actions.

Look people..google will usually hook you up in situations like this within a day or two. Maybe not the day it breaks but, very quickly.

Hopefully THAT isn't breaking any rules.

It's just odd because many forums allow foreign language scans.
________
White Widow Seeds

Last edited by a moderator:
Most people don't know or use the term "listen server," and I think that's what he was talking about; all the peers for a game connected to each other, with one of them acting as listen server.

We play MOST games this way, but people don't think of the more technical term. They just explain it as it makes the most sense to them conceptually. ;)

Peer to peer to me means that bandwidth gets eaten up fast, and is already limited. Each player having an equal number of connections as there are players? Most games may take this strategy, but I believe the most popular PC games do have dedicated servers. (counterstrike, battlefield, quake, etc) In fact, I'd consider those games nearly unplayable on a peer to peer server.

Ok, I guess in a listen server technical one player is the host, but how does that change things? Or does it not function as peer to peer, but rather peer to host, but with a much less beefy host than a dedicated server would provide?

New scans from Famitsu are doing the rounds.

Ask our video junkie for info. Ahem.

There's a pic from the Legendary edition (apparently $99 by the way) in it too...

Peer to peer to me means that bandwidth gets eaten up fast, and is already limited. Each player having an equal number of connections as there are players? Most games may take this strategy, but I believe the most popular PC games do have dedicated servers. (counterstrike, battlefield, quake, etc) In fact, I'd consider those games nearly unplayable on a peer to peer server.

Ok, I guess in a listen server technical one player is the host, but how does that change things? Or does it not function as peer to peer, but rather peer to host, but with a much less beefy host than a dedicated server would provide?
Again, I doubt any modern games are using peer-to-peer networking. To do so would mean that one peer with a leggy connection would lag out the whole game. Counter to that, in a client/server setup, listen server or dedicated, each player's network performance is dictated so by the connection between him and the server.

So far the game looks like I've expected - which isn't too impressive. The same non-realistic style landscapes that we've seen in the first Halo movies back in 2000, but obviously with more polygons, textures, trees, and better lighting. Although we'll probably also get lots of enemies, vehicles, and 720p 4xAA 30fps.

I don't exactly know how the Crytek guys make Crysis look that much better then anything else, but these Halo3 shots are just not as good as that. There aren't enough interiors and character shots to compare it to Gears, but Master Chief would probably not fair well against that either, at least at this point. Still, I guess it's a quiestion of art direction and lack of polish, as the technology seems to be there...

Don't get me wrong though, it's an OK looking game so far and I'm sure they'll get the gameplay and story right. But it would've been nice if the graphics would be cutting edge as well.

well Laa-yosh on first screens of GoW from E3 2005 marcus was looking a lot worse then it look now and btw so far we talking about scans.

Well, yes, but the first GOW screens came out when, E3 2005 or even before? That's 18 months before its release, and it looked as good as anything else at that time, probably even better. Not to mention that most of the 'Unreal engine 3 techdemo' stuff was actually Gears protoype artwork.

Now Halo3 is supposed to come out in 2007, so they have about 13-14 months left to work on it. I doubt it'll come as far as GOW, and it's not that impressive already... But I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

So far the game looks like I've expected - which isn't too impressive. The same non-realistic style landscapes that we've seen in the first Halo movies back in 2000, but obviously with more polygons, textures, trees, and better lighting. Although we'll probably also get lots of enemies, vehicles, and 720p 4xAA 30fps.

I don't exactly know how the Crytek guys make Crysis look that much better then anything else, but these Halo3 shots are just not as good as that. There aren't enough interiors and character shots to compare it to Gears, but Master Chief would probably not fair well against that either, at least at this point. Still, I guess it's a quiestion of art direction and lack of polish, as the technology seems to be there...

Don't get me wrong though, it's an OK looking game so far and I'm sure they'll get the gameplay and story right. But it would've been nice if the graphics would be cutting edge as well.

Easy how the Crytek guys make Crysis look so good, they are targeting PC hardware not even yet released that is at least twice as powerful as anything out now (at least until 8800 in a few days) as a base. Not even too mention PC rigs with 2GB of RAM will be required for the full visual experience.

Not even too mention that the top PC cards out now dust these consoles, but while the raw power is there already nothing takes advantage of it yet, and Crysis just begins too. Of course such is the bane of PC gaming.

All that said, the newest Crysis vids released of late (the purported DX10 running on Geforce 8800 ones) for the first time dont impress me that much.

There's a pic from the Legendary edition (apparently $99 by the way) in it too...

I know a lot of people are already complaining about the gouging here but I love it. As long as the traditional price versions are available you're not forced to buy it, but for a game as big as Halo 3 it just makes sense imo, and if Bungie can get more sales $$$ from it more power too 'em imo. The fact it comes with Master Chief helmet is just too cool imo. For those Halo ******s that want to splurge, it's great.
________
buy property in Pattaya

Easy how the Crytek guys make Crysis look so good, they are targeting PC hardware not even yet released that is at least twice as powerful as anything out now (at least until 8800 in a few days) as a base. Not even too mention PC rigs with 2GB of RAM will be required for the full visual experience.

Not even too mention that the top PC cards out now dust these consoles, but while the raw power is there already nothing takes advantage of it yet, and Crysis just begins too. Of course such is the bane of PC gaming.

All that said, the newest Crysis vids released of late (the purported DX10 running on Geforce 8800 ones) for the first time dont impress me that much.

It is better the game be pretty in those low specs (much more than a 360) PCs too (that it need to suport so it can sell), so it is better the art can live to that (BTW L-Y always meant the art). Specs have litle to do to how pretty a game is.

Well, yes, but the first GOW screens came out when, E3 2005 or even before? That's 18 months before its release, and it looked as good as anything else at that time, probably even better. Not to mention that most of the 'Unreal engine 3 techdemo' stuff was actually Gears protoype artwork.

Now Halo3 is supposed to come out in 2007, so they have about 13-14 months left to work on it. I doubt it'll come as far as GOW, and it's not that impressive already... But I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

one can't compare UE3 games with any 'in progress' engine and toolset .UE3 is WYSIWYG from the start .The wole shader pipe is there ,geometry, instancing ,... you work in an in game environement tool from day one .
Just place a player-start locator ,,Press ctrl-P and you are in the game in no time.

This makes big difference when you have to create assets while your whole graphic engine is in progress,your shader system on the todo list ,and so long...You have to start much lower quality wise ,and reserve time to come back on it later on when features will be there.

Back