Halo 3 Announcement trailer on Marketplace!

Marcus showed off the new engine's lighting system, the self-shadowing and realtime reflection on the Chief, and the fact that we can draw geometry out to about 13 or 14 (game) miles. There was other stuff, but we'll talk about that later.

That's pretty incredible!

And TurnDrago what is pre-computed radiance transfer?

can someone explain to me please what pre-computed radiance transfer is?

thx

well google gave me this but can someone explain if this is plain vanilla or a unique technique and why they use it?

Revision 5 | By Muhammad Haggag | On Tue Jun 7 05:51:00 CDT 2005Precomputed Radiance Transfer (PRT) is a lighting method that uses precomputed transfer vectors? to render objects with soft shadows?, interreflections?, and subsurface scattering?.

D3DX includes the ID3DXPRTEngine. This interface? is used during the simulation? part of PRT and precomputes direct lighting? and subsurface scattering? to name a couple. Data from the PRT engine is stored in an ID3DXPRTBuffer and can be saved to file using the D3DXSavePRTBufferToFile function.

Transfer vectors can require a large amount of memory and real-time? computation. By using a compression? algorithm you can greatly reduce the amount of work needed. Use the D3DXCreatePRTCompBuffer to significantly reduce transfer data size. Compression can be done before saving the buffer to file in which case you will need to use D3DXSavePRTCompBufferToFile to write the compressed buffer to file.
source
http://nexe.gamedev.net/directKnowledge/default.asp?p=Precomputed%20Radiance%20Transfer

Last edited by a moderator:
My knowlege on the subject is extremely limited.

http://www.ati.com/developer/gdc_video.html

Chris Oat had a presentation on PRT used in Ruby: Dangerous Curves from GDC.

Though PRT would, AFAIK, cover a very wide range of techniques both simple and complex in nature, the ass/u/m(e)ption I made was that, considering the commments regarding a unified lighting system, where everything is lit as one instead of individually, they meant PRT as a way of looking at incoming light (i.e., not just "light" sources but lit surfaces and such) and taking it into account for final lighting. One of the ways of "faking" global illumination with current hardware.

Honestly, was hoping for some far more knowledgeable people to chime in with any thoughts, explanations, etc. If there is anything that can really be commented on at the moment besides "well, they're doing it..... what do you want?"

Here's a paper that talks about it. It's a direct pdf download btw. :)

This is interesting in a de-interesting way:

http://people.csail.mit.edu/kautz/PRTCourse/

PRT is an active of area of research that has relevance to both the academic research community and practitioners of interactive computer graphics. This technique and its variants are being actively investigated in the game development community and there is quite a lot of interest due to the recent appearance of PRT techniques in games such as "Halo 2".

edit: the above is from Siggraph 2005, and there are a bunch of papers on PRT there.

for PRT ,download that demo :
http://unigine.com/products/unigine_v0.33/
BTW ,i don't see anything outstanding in that cinematic ,not a single bit that could justify such 'onanism' on it.

Plus i would add that i don't think bungie ever led any technical edge .for what i can see ,this demo could have been done on xbox.As for what i can't see ...

Last point , i find it hard to believe they couldn't have a 100% stable scripted running demo ,it's not like they are stressing hardware,if they do ,i can't see where ,so enlight me : )

phil, you're right in that there was nothing technically impossible for them to do a scripted demo ala E3 2003, but the thing is that would have taken a boat load of time to do relative to just a simple teaser. i.e. they've learned their lesson. Do they spend time making/modifying a level to be completely bug free for a demo (while being representative of the actual game) that won't matter in a year or do they pump out something simple that won't distract the team?

Judging by the bonus dvd for Halo 2, they were set back pretty hard with the E3 2003 demo.

frankly when i hear the 'extremly impressive' superlative concerning this trailer,then there is no existing word to describe the MGS4 trailer.that ,or unconscious denial or cognitive dissonance.

I could understand if this is just a matter of visual taste,but please don't bring any mighty technicality factor into this ...

_phil_ said:
frankly when i hear the 'extremly impressive' superlative concerning this trailer,then there is no existing word to describe the MGS4 trailer.that ,or unconscious denial or cognitive dissonance.

I could understand if this is just a matter of visual taste,but please don't bring any mighty technicality factor into this ...

in other hands Kojima team is speanding months to make a few minutes of trailer. MGS4 is always a game like a movie with lot of cut scenes, while bungie said that they made this trailer with minimum impact to developing process. Just wait

_phil_ said:

You're making the MGS trailer to be something it's not, it's a great cinematic trailer but there are low res textures everythwhere, the character models of the enemy soldiers are average at best with fairly low res textures, the textures on the tanks are pretty poor with what look like 2D rivets.

The only thing that really stands out graphically are the main character models, snake, raiden, etc, and the lighting as a whole is very well done.

You are making out the Halo 3 trailer to be something its not. The only character models in it are Cortona and the Chief, and the camera never even gets close enough to see any rivets on the vehicles at all.

;)

_phil_ said:
Plus i would add that i don't think bungie ever led any technical edge .for what i can see ,this demo could have been done on xbox.As for what i can't see ...
i stand to what i said,and this shot clearly don't bring doubt in my mind.except for IQ and resolution , Bunkasha has done most of what's needed to achieve this on xbox..

Yeah, the Xbox has a ton of games with non-uniform particle systems running on NV2A... oh wait.

View distance, poly count, texture detail, material shaders, reflections, dynamic lighting and soft & self shadowing, parallax mapping, blah blah blah. As short as the Halo 3 video was, and the limited number of art assets on screen, the technical effects present in the trailer alone are far beyond what the Xbox1 can do, in realtime, at 480p, with reduced detail.

If you lower the poly detail 20-fold, cut the texture resolution down 8 fold, add fog to skew the view distance to a quarter mile, get ride of most of the normal maps, totally ditch the parallax mapping, completely remove the particle system, and replace the lighting and shadowing system with a DX8 system, then yea, I see your point! THEN the Xbox1 could do it!

I get a good laugh out of some of you. On the one hand you think MotorStorm looks nearly as good as the CGI in quality, yet you cannot see the difference on a technical level between an Xbox1 game and next gen games if they are not on your platform of choice.

I don't really care whether someone likes Halo 3's cinema, but statements that it can be done on the Xbox1 are just... typical.

Acert93 said:
Yeah, the Xbox has a ton of games with non-uniform particle systems running on NV2A... oh wait.

View distance, poly count, texture detail, material shaders, reflections, dynamic lighting and soft & self shadowing, parallax mapping, blah blah blah. As short as the Halo 3 video was, and the limited number of art assets on screen, the technical effects present in the trailer alone are far beyond what the Xbox1 can do,

no ,with perhaps the exception of parallax ,witch i don't see in the trailer ,but is said to be there .
Anyway, thanks for the exageration and taking me for ignorant on how things are done ;)

_phil_ said:

You seem to have forgotten that the MGS4 announcement trailer was with PS2 graphics, and basically consisted on a big block where two main characters tried to fight over getting in the main (directors) chair. Hardly impressive.

Anyway, I basically agree Acert93, and I'm not sure if you're actually serious or just trying to troll by saying that those Halo 3 graphics could be achieved on the Xbox.

The lighting alone is far beyond anything I've seen on the Xbox. Not to mention the sheer scale of the evironmets. The artifact alone is supposedly 3 miles. Are we looking at the same trailer?

I think the most obvious example is the textures. I don't see how anyone in their right mind could even try and argue that the texture detail in the Halo 3 teaser could be acomplished on a console with a measly 64mb of ram.

Hardknock said:
The lighting alone is far beyond anything I've seen on the Xbox. Not to mention the sheer scale of the evironmets. The artifact alone is supposedly 3 miles. Are we looking at the same trailer?

Actually, it seems like the Bungie employee was referring to the center circle of light being 3 miles. There's no way the entire crater is 3 miles in diameter (you can even see the remains of a city in the far background). Also keep in mind that the large spaceships are supposed to be 3km long (according to the novels) and the entire crater dwarfs these ships. Their size can be better compared in the cutscene where the Prophet of Regret makes a slipspace jump while in New Mombasa in Halo 2. This is just my own view/analysis though.

london-boy said:
Bungie have never showed FMV as far as i remember so i have full faith that Halo3 will "look kinda like that", with lots more things happening on screen at once, because we know that the X360 is more than capable of handling it.

As I've mentioned before, the only CGI ever shown to my knowledge was in the I Love Bees theatrical trailer at the end with the Phantoms flying over the chief.

Back