Half-Life 2 confirmed for PS3/360 - Episode 2 to ship simultaneously with PC version

Turned out true afterall:

psmfront17nq8xp6ey.jpg

Hopefully the game supports mouse & keyboard like the first Half Life on PlayStation.

Update:

For whoever asked in the comments, from what I understood the console versions of HL2: Episode 2 will contain all things Half-Life 2, including CS: Source, Team Fortress 2 and Portal. Will amend that info if anything changes.

If true, that'll be most excellent.

Conflicted reports on this it seems:

- Episode 2 will also include an experimental game called Portal which is a bit more puzzle oriented. Similar to the portal tech seen in Prey but of course a bit more advanced
- The Xbox360 and PS3 releases will come out on the same day as Episode2 for the PC. The 360 and PS3 versions will be HL2 + Ep1 + Ep2 but will not include TF2 or Portal

http://www.shacknews.com/

El Leone said:
Reckon it should run in 60fps? Should be achievable for the consoles fairly easily...?

unless they are going to bump up the graphics some, which I hope they do(but probably won't), since by the time it comes out it will be a 3 year old PC game

HappyBread said:
Hopefully the game supports mouse & keyboard like the first Half Life on PlayStation.

..sigh.

Why? Always?

If you're a PC gamer and require a mouse and keyboard in order to enjoy the game, why not just play it on a PC?

Why must every PC FPS to console port support K&M in order to satisfy?

RancidLunchmeat said:
..sigh.

Why? Always?

If you're a PC gamer and require a mouse and keyboard in order to enjoy the game, why not just play it on a PC?

hey, thats brilliant!
now that you thought about that, why cant Mcdonald's only offer ONE type of burger?! it would be great to only satisfy one kind of person !! hurrey for great ideas ".."

Mordenkainen said:
Conflicted reports on this it seems:

http://www.shacknews.com/

1up also reports that TF2 and Portals will be included in the console versions. Gamespot reaffirms that in their new preview too (http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/halflife2episode2/news.html?sid=6154006). It seems both are to be included in all versions of Episode 2.

edit - IGN says same, and that Counterstrike Source will be included! They're the only ones currently reporting that CS is in there though, as far as I can tell.

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/718/718522p1.html

Last edited by a moderator:
dskneo said:
hey, thats brilliant!
now that you thought about that, why cant Mcdonald's only offer ONE type of burger?! it would be great to only satisfy one kind of person !! hurrey for great ideas ".."

Or, more intelligently, why would McDonald's spend time to develop and produce a hamburger in a yellow wrapper and market that to the person who just purchased and ate the identical burger in a red wrapper?

RancidLunchmeat said:

Pick any number of reasons:
- PCs are very expensive for a gaming platform
- Many people prefer the precision and "natural" feel of KB/MS
- Not everyone plays sitting on a cough
- Because not everyone enjoys the odd ball placement of thumb sticks or their lack of percision in conjunction with the idea of using ones thumbs (!) for fine motor skills
- Because Nintendo and Sony have already recognized that alternative means of input can produce a better gaming experience
- People use Flight Sticks and Racing Wheels--why not allow KB/MS if that floats their boat?
- Because there absolutely no technical reason not to allow KB/MS in SP console games
- Because it is short sighted to believe a gamepad is the best device for all game types and all preferences

...sigh...

Why? Always?

Does some console gaming fan have to get their underwear 6 inches to high when a gamer suggests they may not want to use a gamepad but would rather use a KB/MS for FPS? Especially when said game is a PC port to begin with and already has been gamebalanced with MS/KB support to begin with. Console gamers lose absolutely nothing by such a proposition. Telling people how they want to enjoy a game is wrong not only goes across the grain of the industry (i.e. give people what they want so a) they buy your product and b) you make money) and defeats the purpose of "entertainment". And it is presumptious at that.

And the reason you hear this all the time is <gasp> a large segment of gamers wants to see KB/MS support for console FPS. Maybe if MS/Sony/Nintendo were listening to consumers you would not hear the constant complaint. You may not agree, but obviously for a segment of consumers the current situation is not desirable and they are voicing their opinion.

Obviously no one is telling YOU that you must play with a KB/MS so I see no reason why others should deride the idea of customization and play the game the way you want to play :):cough::MS E3 2005 slogans::cough::). Racing and Flying games support wheels and sticks which are far more expensive with lower install bases--which should tell you something straight up why they don't offer KB/MS support. It all has to do with defining and protecting market segments and OS sales.

Personally I hope Sony comes out at launch and confirms KB/MS support and encourages developers to add support for FPS. That would go a long way in helping me decide my next console of choice.

Does some console gaming fan have to get their underwear 6 inches to high when a gamer suggests they may not want to use a gamepad but would rather use a KB/MS for FPS?

Cause it seems like it's almost repeated ad naseum?? I dunno, kinda annoys me as well. Like we know you guys want a KB...ok...got it!

Anyways, this sounds like an extremely good deal, for the price of one game we get the original HL2, Episode 1 & 2, and this portal game!? Wow, that's gotta be a solid 25-30 hours of gameplay.

I've been playing Episode 1 on my PC and damn does that game look good, nice addition to the respective portfolio's.

Acert93 said:
Personally I hope Sony comes out at launch and confirms KB/MS support and encourages developers to add support for FPS. That would go a long way in helping me decide my next console of choice.

They've already said that it's there if the developers want to use it. They just obviously have to support the gamepad too. So it appears it is purely Valve's choice...hopefully they'll support it.

One issue with allowing kb/mouse support is how do you balance the game. The game's design and balancing would have to be redone/altered if you allow kb/mouse, since you can be so much quicker and precise with a mouse. Not that it can't be done, but I think many devs would choose to not use kb/mouse because of this reason. You can better tune the scenarios in the game when you know that all players will be using a controller. Also, what do you do about the kb/mouse advantage in multiplayer?

scooby_dooby said:
Cause it seems like it's almost repeated ad naseum?? I dunno, kinda annoys me as well. Like we know you guys want a KB...ok...got it!

The same way people who are tinkling little bells for better graphics, better gameplay, longer games, more unique titles, better storylines, etc repeat their desires and complaints ad naseum. Some consumers may be very happy with the graphics or length of games, but does that mean they have a right to be rude to others who have a problem spending their hard earned money on a product that is not meeting their expectations?

If so I think I am gonna have fun harping on everyone's constantly bickering about graphics ;) But seriously developers and publishers listen to sales numbers and consumer complaints and prevent sales. If you keep hearing this complaint all the time... maybe it is a real issue, regardless of your personal preference.

Hey, some folks may like piss poor texture filtering on their games, but it won't stop me front pointing it out when I see it. I see why this need be no different, especially since I am pretty excited about the idea of MS release a true force feedback wheel. If I own a Flight Stick and am interested in a wheel, why is it a $20 addon for KB/MS keeps getting the short end of the stick?

Telling people to shut up about wanting better controls is akin to to saying, "Shut up! The poor texturing is fine!" Maybe for you, but why is your opinion more important than that of other consumers?

My real problem is not people who prefer gamepads but those who are arrogent enough to presume that everyone should have to play the game the same way they do. This is what dskneo was pointing out and I totally agree with him. Its like telling racing enthusiests they cannot use a wheel--bad business and bad for the enjoyment of the consumer.

But hey, I am all for people using gamepads. If they ever try removing gamepad support for FPS I will be right there fighting for the right to keep the gamepad ;)

chroniceyestrain said:
One issue with allowing kb/mouse support is how do you balance the game. The game's design and balancing would have to be redone/altered if you allow kb/mouse, since you can be so much quicker and precise with a mouse. Not that it can't be done, but I think many devs would choose to not use kb/mouse because of this reason. You can better tune the scenarios in the game when you know that all players will be using a controller. Also, what do you do about the kb/mouse advantage in multiplayer?

HL2 is a PC port which is already balanced for KB/MS. Not to mention basic KB/MS is easy to configure and let users auto-tune in settings.

As for MP, you have a) FASA claiming, at least for their games, that KB/MS gamers have no advantage and b) a number of console gamers who think it would not be an issue. In the past people have played with divergent control inputs (see PC games where people prefer mice over flight sticks, etc) and a filter that excludes certain inputs would take hours to create--especially since MS is requiring all devices on the 360 to have identification chips to function. Not sure what Sony is doing but I presume most people will have to use 2 USB ports for the KB and MS so detection should not be too hard, at least not at first.

Personally considering the amount of REAL cheats used by players I don't think KB/MS would be anywhere on the radar of the real cheats that impact gameplay the way real hacks do. Anyone who has played online can vouch that the number of invasive game destroying cheats would be far worse than some players having naturally faster reaction time.

Back