Guilty Gear Xrd

Needless to say, GGXrd is getting the ravest reviews the fighting genre has had for many years.

And yes, Tekken 7 looks shockingly bad. I don't mind the new very silly looking character, but when I see her very low-poly ponytails going through her body, during her winning pose, as a close up, it makes my skin crawl.
How are we still seeing this stuff nowadas? At least fix it manually in those short non-playable closeups for god's sake!

Well this trailer looks good to me. Ok it is not mindblowing. But still in the right conditions it looks very good.
The game is still in testing phase. I am sure they still havent optimized and corrected all elements like Chloe's hair

So I've been playing this game the whole weeOH WAIT I HAVEN'T, CAUSE THEY COMPLETELY FORGOT THAT EUROPE IS A REAL CONTINENT WHERE PEOPLE BUY GAMES.

Seriously, in this day and age, ignoring Europe and giving absolutely no clue as to when they will release it here? When they could just put it on PSN (not that it works, but that's another discussion) at next to no cost?

Last edited:
It would help if Europe harmonized some of the port related laws a bit more so a game doesn't have to be held up against every individual state's legislation ...

It would help if Europe harmonized some of the port related laws a bit more so a game doesn't have to be held up against every individual state's legislation ...

Which laws are preventing release in the EU? I think the more likely reason is the publisher wants a single EU release which requires a considerable amount of localisation.

That's definitely also an issue. But although progress is being made with PEGI ratings becoming more universal across Europe these days and more universally also implemented in legislation, I think there's still a lot of differences that have to be accounted for as well.

This is old: https://books.google.nl/books?id=0e...e&q=eu laws for releasing video games&f=false

... but that kind of thing hasn't gone away entirely, and it's just one of several issues to be taken into account.

That's definitely also an issue. But although progress is being made with PEGI ratings becoming more universal across Europe these days and more universally also implemented in legislation, I think there's still a lot of differences that have to be accounted for as well.

The problem with PEGI is that there's no scope to factor in national sensitivities which is why it's voluntary in far more countries than it's the standard. And even then, it's only really enforced by legislation in countries where PEGI replaced something that previously existed and legislated, e.g. in the UK PEGI replaced BBFC (the British Board of Film Certification) for software and video games and is supporting by the legislation that was in place for BBFC classifications.

Iceland and Luxembourg adopted PEGI (as a guide for consumers) but there's no legislation to enforce it's use, and in other countries there are self-regulated code-of-conducts where everybody agrees to follow the PEGI guidelines but where there's no penalty for not doing this.

Going back to my initial point (national sensitivities) you'll never get the likes of Germany to surrender their classification system for what I think are obvious reasons. Italy is very anti-regulation except where it's deemed necessary to solve real issues, likewise Denmark, Belgium. Then there are countries who completely ignore it like Czech Republic, Bulgaria and Latvia because there are bigger issues requiring legislation than video games.

I still think this is about localisation because when you get down to it, more countries have no formal regulation than those they do.

Well this trailer looks good to me. Ok it is not mindblowing. But still in the right conditions it looks very good.
The game is still in testing phase. I am sure they still havent optimized and corrected all elements like Chloe's hair

It looks okay I guess. That said, it barely eclipses TTT2 in the looks department. Heck, I actually think TTT2 looks more pleasant in motion due to the high quality motion blur and its less garish color palette. TTT2 is also a awful lot less shiny looking. Despite being just a port, I actuall think DoA Ultimate is a good deal prettier than this. Street Fighter V looks a lot nicer as well.

While that's certainly true to some extent, near simultaneous releases really cannot be that hard to do in this day and age. I mean even super niche stuff like all that Japanese Loli crap on the Vita tends to make a day-and-date release in Europe now these days. If someone managed to release Criminal Girls in a timely fashion in Europe, and on the Vita of all platforms, the newest entry to a respectable fighting game series really has no excuse.

Beautiful, absolutely beautiful. But I'll need some serious tutorials to get the fighting system, as I'm mostly button bashing right now.

€44 on the PS Store for PS+ users.
I am really tempted, I have not played a fighting game in ages now.

I played one GG many years ago and I don't remember it well so can anyone tell me if it is a "complex/hardcore" fighting game, pass me the expression, like Tekken or if it is more approachable?

Define 'like Tekken'? :)
It's very different from Tekken and the system has always been very deep.

Well I find that Tekken is very unfriendly to newcomers; it's one of the few games that I find "hard to learn/play and way harder to master".

I watched some videos of GG Xrd and my impression is that it doesn't have the "mechanical complexity" of Tekken but it seems to have deep mechanics nonetheless.
You in part confirm my impressions but I just would like to have some more details from people that have played both.

Last edited:
Back