GTA V announced [2011] , [2021-11-11]

It is pretty bad, isn't it. Game was a lot of fun though, so I'm more than willing to overlook it.

Yup, didn't do anything for me either. Took a fair while for the game to "click" for me and that only happened after I basically wrote off the story.

No idea. I thought it was a blast. I usually have trouble getting into GTA games - they usually start slow or the whole freedom of play ends up being so distracting that I find myself wanting to explore the city more than I want to see progress in the story. GTAV was different - it just started great and although the whole concept of playing 3 characters was a bit alien to me at first, I quickly became immersed in the whole plot and how these 3 characters are connected.

It's the first GTA I ever completed within a week (or more or less continuous) and the only GTA where I ended up loving to play missions because they offer such a big variety that I wanted to keep playing. Definately the best GTA I've ever played so far.

I didn't think the main plot was too bad, relative to other games, but it does detour a little too much like Rockstar games tend to do. I don't think the best parts of the story were as good as the best parts of Red Dead Redemption. Rockstar needs to stop forcing you to play all of the side missions to get to the next story mission. If you'd cut the story in Red Dead Redemption to 5-10 hours, they could have achieved a pretty good story, and I basically think videogame stories are completely shit. It would have been a real achievement. GTA5 was entertaining though, as much as it's not a great story. The missions on their own are fun, and the cutscenes can at times be pretty funny.

No idea. I thought it was a blast. I usually have trouble getting into GTA games - they usually start slow or the whole freedom of play ends up being so distracting that I find myself wanting to explore the city more than I want to see progress in the story.
Regardless of the story being told, GTA San Andreas and GTA V both do this well. You're starting out with minor crimes - in GTA San Andreas it was tagging enemy territory and each game slowly ups the ante mission-by-mission until I had a how-the-hell-did-I-get-here moment. In San Andreas is was breaking into Area 69 and in GTA V it was blowing up
the ship in the docks

I liked the story in GTA III, Vice City and San Andreas. GTA IV wasn't bad but it felt so pedestrian because you never did any really crazy stuff, although the Four Leaf Cover mission (bank heist) was awesome. GTA V brings the game back to it's outrageous routes which I really like but the story is so full of cliches and predictable double-crosses that it was hard to engage.

I'd genuinely like Rockstar to tell a smart story, where the protagonist and his associates aren't complete assholes. I want the game to make me care about the people who I may lose and or may have to kill at some point.

I have to admit, I quite liked the characters in GTA IV - the whole Nico Bellic stuff, the dating etc. For what ever reason though, I thought the shooting mechanics seemed a bit off, which is perhaps why I didn't enjoy the shooting missions too much. GTA V just felt much better, from the beginning. Maybe it was also due to the fact that you start GTA V in the past with the side bank robbing mission and then once in main city - you already have access to pretty much everything. No fake borders, but you are pretty much free to go anywhere you like. I was quite amazed when I figured about 30 minutes into the game where to steal a helicopter...

GTA IV in that sense took more time getting into I guess. You start in the rougher city areas and are practically stuck there until the city opens up. I definately prefered the openess of GTA V and once Trevor becomes a playable character, the whole story just got too funny to stop.

I also liked Nico as well and the social side was cool for a bit but as everybody found out, having Roman phone you every 10 minutes wanting to bowl, drink or play darts, got very annoying very quickly. Brucie was also awesome too.

It'll be interesting to see where Rockstar go with GTA 6 as I think we can generally conclude the online world really hasn't taken off in the way Rockstar were hyping.

I liked the multiple character aspect, each with a particularly honed skill (driving, shooting, flying) is one I like but how about apart from the initial protagonist you start with, you get to pick the other two from a choice? I.e. you play as Bob who is a driver then Bob through an early story choice picks his gunman from Marty, Jake and Catalina and each has a different attitude and style and approach to missions. Ditto another story choice to pick your third team member.

To take the heist recruitment mechanic and make apply it carnally to the story in a way that materially affects how the game unfolds. This would also give replay value. More voice acting to record but that's why we have Blu-ray disks and giant HDDs :yep2:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hated Nico, actually never ever got into GTA4, worst game of the series, imho of course.

GTA5 though, so much better, the main plot was far out but not to much, and i had a excellent time with the 3 characters. Looking forward to playing the game again :)

What I liked most in GTA V was flying the planes as Trevor. It was too beautiful in the skies ! I wish GTA has better side missions, though. stuff one can get into. THe whole world of gta V is beautiful, in fact too beatiful, but there wasn't much to do in it in terms of organised missions. The most fun I had was with running away from cops, the open world lent itself beautifully to that. Also, stupid boring missions like towing vehicles around and placing shipping containers correctly aren't fun at all.....they are plain ass boring R* :rolleyes: !

I couldn't finish the game, though, as Diablo3 arrived, then BF4, then ps4 with its KZ, TR, infamous, WD, then there was Dark SOuls 2, then with D3 on ps4 and now Destiny ! it just got left behind ;) !

BUt yes, still th ebest GTA I have played. This is the only one which kept me invested for so long.

What I liked most in GTA V was flying the planes as Trevor. It was too beautiful in the skies ! I wish GTA has better side missions, though. stuff one can get into.

I really enjoyed Vice City Stories and San Andreas' territorial/turf battles :yes:

GTA IV in that sense took more time getting into I guess. You start in the rougher city areas and are practically stuck there until the city opens up. I definately prefered the openess of GTA V and once Trevor becomes a playable character, the whole story just got too funny to stop.

I've been playing RDR again on 360, and I have to say that the fake border stuff got on my nerves pretty quick (again). I haven't played GTAV yet, as I'm waiting for the PC release, but it's good that they opened up the game completely so players could just soak it all in at once. Beyond keeping gamers focused and "forcing" them to play more, I think cutting off parts of the game map in GTA and RDR is pretty stupid.

I didn't think the main plot was too bad, relative to other games, but it does detour a little too much like Rockstar games tend to do. I don't think the best parts of the story were as good as the best parts of Red Dead Redemption. Rockstar needs to stop forcing you to play all of the side missions to get to the next story mission. If you'd cut the story in Red Dead Redemption to 5-10 hours, they could have achieved a pretty good story, and I basically think videogame stories are completely shit. It would have been a real achievement. GTA5 was entertaining though, as much as it's not a great story. The missions on their own are fun, and the cutscenes can at times be pretty funny.

The problem I had with GTS5's plot was that it really didn't go anywhere until it damn near randomly decided to wrap it all up. I quite liked a lot of the little sub plots, but the sum of all parts didn't really amass to a greater whole in GTA5. It was the usual getting bossed around for a couple of missions by one shady person, finally getting rid of said person, only to have the same ordeal repeat itself with the next token thug the protagonists meet. Then
the characters finally realize how good they are at the whole killing people thing and decide to end it all. Could've saved themselves some 50 missions or so if they came such an obvious conclusion a little earlier. All R* games are basically like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fired it up again after almost an year to see what GTA online feels like and kept getting errors. COuld not go past th einitial race. The same errors I got on launch. Weird.

On the other hand, I was again surprised at the technical achievement of the super beautful AO andlighting which they achieved on a ps3 ! It just looks fab , but the frame rate is definitely low as it felt so sluggish coming from months of ps4.
Watching it again actually makes me want it on the ps4 where IQ issues would be gone and the game's world can truly show its beauty. Gameplay would still be the same though. R* has said they added new activites but is there any info on what they are? Have htey added some fun thigns to do in theopen world or not? I wasn't a fan of what was on offer on the ps3 version. The story missions were fun, except parking lots and placing containers :rolleyes:, but outside of that there was nothing really rewarding in the open world. Its just that it was so beautiful that I kept roaming around.

Fired it up again after almost an year to see what GTA online feels like and kept getting errors. COuld not go past th einitial race. The same errors I got on launch. Weird.
I drop in and out of GTA Online just to mess about - mostly see what other people are up too and have not had any problems since those at launch.

On the other hand, I was again surprised at the technical achievement of the super beautful AO andlighting which they achieved on a ps3 ! It just looks fab , but the frame rate is definitely low as it felt so sluggish coming from months of ps4.
The game I'm most looking forward to (re)playing next month is GTA V on PlayStation 4. COD:AW isn't doing it for me, AC:U isn't doing it for me, FC4 might be an enjoyable romp, Batman 3 will no doubt be brilliant but I really want to play GTA V in a higher-populated Los Santos and it's an effort to to resist popping the disc into PS3 and having another go.

In FC3/4 there's lot of fun stuff to do in that world, capture outposts, lead enemies into each other, find treasures, hunt to upgrade stuff, +side missions. The world of gtav is much better crafted than other games but there are no fights to pick, no sides to take, no upgrades to do, no secrets to find.......:-/.
It feels so wrong to not have such activities in such a well made open world. Visit strip clubs, play golf: WTH !
Watch Dogs has much more fun side stuff in the form of those 'trip' games. That Carmageddon game is super fun !
I would love to revisit Los Santos again in its funny glory but I hope R* does what Blizzard did with D3UE ....revamp the fame to be much much more fun !

In FC3/4 there's lot of fun stuff to do in that world, capture outposts, lead enemies into each other, find treasures, hunt to upgrade stuff, +side missions.
I really liked Far Cry 4 actually finished the game (saved friends, killed psycho bitch) but Far Cry 4 just looks like more of the same. I'll wait for the reviews but all of the videos I've seem look just like Far Cry 3 with different textures.

The world of gtav is much better crafted than other games but there are no fights to pick, no sides to take, no upgrades to do, no secrets to find.......:-/.
I'd like a territories system like GTA San Andrea and Vice City Stories but equally, for me there is little more enjoyable than cranking up a lvl 4 or 5 police wanted level and just trying to stay ahead of the cops :yes:

It feels so wrong to not have such activities in such a well made open world. Visit strip clubs, play golf: WTH !

You can do both of those things in GTA V :???: Plus there's tennis and cycle races and other stuff I've forgotten.

Well, a couple of sites are reporting that RS is releasing San Andreas for the 360 (at the very least) because somebody has recently found 360 achievements for the game.

Wonder if they are going to re release GTA V with a HD version of GTA:SA included.

Official PlayStation Magazine’s Next-Gen GTA V Feature Says the Game Runs at Native 1080p on PS4 – It is “the Greatest Game Ever Committed to Blu-Ray”

“Farewell, 720p. You served your purpose adequately enough. Still, our eyes have been gagging for 1080p’s pin-sharp pleasures and Los Santos sandbox is only too happy to oblige on PS4, running at a native 1920 x 1080 pixels. For a game erected on hundereds of tiny incidental details, the resolution bump is a huge game changer for GTA V.”

“Glimmering 1080p presentation, hugely increased draw distance, 100 new songs, fresh wild-life, a bumper version of GTA Online, this is sandbox you’ve dreamt about ever since you slotted Sony’s angular baby under your TV”

I'll be purchasing the PS4 version... later the PC edition in January. I'm glad I held off on purchasing it on the PS3... :D

Just read the OPM article and there's not a huge amount of info but it does say the game offers AO which really improves lighting and critters fur is fully rendered, it's not just textures. More than 100 extra tunes are included plus newly recorded radio chatter and a lot of vehicles from previous games are present.

The biggest improved they say is greatly increased density of pedestrians and cars.

Excellent!

Back