GPU-driven rendering (SIGGRAPH 2015 follow up)

Yes. Our image quality is very close to perfect. Our MSAA trick does shading (lighting and post processing) at full resolution. It only saves performance on G-buffer overdraw. But for cases of heavy overdraw (such as foliage and trees) the G-buffer savings can be huge (up to 4x theoretical reduction in pixel shader invocations and back buffer bandwidth).

This is going to sweeten the deal a lot for 4K renderings too (Render at 1080p with the trick)... I hope API's make this super easy to implement for everybody, because I think this should even be a design mandate.

Sebbbi
I know, there is NDA, but could you hint us whether the same MSAA trick was used in recent Rainbow Six: Siege? It has been said in GF.com tweak guide and later confirmed in DF article that RS6 render uses temporal reconstruction filter and stores its gbuffer in 960x540p with 2x MSAA(which highly reminds me of MSAA trick). I haven't had time to figure out gbuffer layout with nsight, so I wonder whether the game uses deferred texturing with MSAA trick

This is going to sweeten the deal a lot for 4K renderings too (Render at 1080p with the trick)... I hope API's make this super easy to implement for everybody, because I think this should even be a design mandate.
We are still missing custom MSAA sampling pattern support in PC DirectX. API backdoors (and custom extensions) from IHVs exist, but I would prefer proper support. OpenGL 4.5 included a ARB extension for MSAA sampling patterns (last fall), meaning that things are improving.

This reminds me that I need to write a forum thread about DX12 (and Vulkan) missing features / feature requests.
Sebbbi
I know, there is NDA, but could you hint us whether the same MSAA trick was used in recent Rainbow Six: Siege? It has been said in GF.com tweak guide and later confirmed in DF article that RS6 render uses temporal reconstruction filter and stores its gbuffer in 960x540p with 2x MSAA(which highly reminds me of MSAA trick). I haven't had time to figure out gbuffer layout with nsight, so I wonder whether the game uses deferred texturing with MSAA trick
Can't talk about other team's technology. You need to wait for their presentation.

Back