GOW:Over 1 million sold in first 2 weeks.

Impressive market performance.

Probably the fastest selling next gen console game so far

Impressive market performance.

Probably the fastest selling next gen console game so far

You can take the "probably" out. It's definitely the fastest selling game on the only next gen console out now. (i don't count the other 2 as "out" yet cause they launched last week, but u get my point).

You can take the "probably" out. It's definitely the fastest selling game on the only next gen console out now. (i don't count the other 2 as "out" yet cause they launched last week, but u get my point).

Well some people are trying to find stupid excuses for a bad rep. So I said "probably" so I wouldnt give another stupid excuse to some people that are trying too hard to find one.

So yeah I agree. it seems to do better than other games released on the same console.

Just to put this in perspective it is 1 million GOW units sold world wide. Now how would that stack up to halo or halo 2 within the same period?

neither is a particularly valid comparison in my opinion:

Halo was a launch title and thus limited by the sales of consoles within it's first 2 weeks, while Halo 2 launched to a userbase of over 15 million iirc.

But obviously comparisons will be drawn, and by the comment "best selling original xbox game of all time" one can assume it outsold Halo, but probably not Halo 2.

technically.. since the wii sold out in like 7 minutes, & a copy of wii sports ships with every system (& i'm sure we can estimate at *least* 1 million wiis were shipped for launch) I would say that GOW's record has already been broken by another next-gen title (albeit a much more underwhelming game)..

But that's just splitting hairs.. :LOL:

Just to put this in perspective it is 1 million GOW units sold world wide. Now how would that stack up to halo or halo 2 within the same period?
I can only talk about NPD numbers cause this is all we get when talking about western-developed games(we also get detailed japan numbers but they don't apply here).Halo2 sold something like 3.3 million copies in November 2004.I think it was a record for highest first month sales in the U.S.

By comparison GoW is looking at 1 million(or more) copies at the November 2006 NPD,which is phenomenal.I really doubt that many single platform games will achieve such strong first month sales in the entire generation.A few nintendo games on the wii,Halo3 and maybe(and i am not so sure about that) GT5.

Halo3 will have a chance to break Halo2's record though.The U.S xbox360 userbase will be big enough and the hype will be enormous.Halo3 has allready appeared on the best sellers list of ebgames.com and it's at n.61 of the amazon best sellers list,the only unreleased(and with...one year until release!!) game there.

"Gears of War" Surpasses 2 Million in Unit Sales Worldwide

Courtesy of BlimBlim (Xboxyde)

Microsoft Games Studios and Epic Games Announce "Gears of War" Surpasses 2 Million in Unit Sales Worldwide, Becoming the Fastest-Selling Next-Generation Console Game
UK — 15th December, 2006 — A video game champion has been crowned as today “Gears of War†made history by becoming the fastest-selling next-gen game of 2006 and the fastest-selling exclusive Xbox® game of all time.

Microsoft Game Studios and Epic Games Inc. today confirmed that “Gears of War,†the Xbox 360™-exclusive title, has sold more than 2 million copies worldwide since its release six weeks ago.

“‘Gears of War’ clearly has won the battle for the title of the must-have game of the year,†said Richard Teversham, Director of Platform & Marketing, Home and Entertainment Division EMEA. “Its phenomenal success is one of many reasons why Xbox 360 is the ultimate place to get together with friends to play this Christmas.â€

“We’ve always held high hopes for ‘Gears of War,’ but we never expected such an overwhelmingly positive response from critics and gamers all over the world,†said Michael Capps, president, Epic Games. “I can’t describe how stoked our team is right now. Our fans can absolutely count on Epic to keep delivering new gameplay through Xbox Live®.â€

In addition to being the must-have video game of the holiday season, “Gears of War†continues to rage on the Xbox Live battlefield as well, with more than 1 million unique gamers engaging in 10 million online gameplay sessions and unlocking an impressive 7 million achievements. On top of being the No. 1 title on Xbox Live, “Gears of War†has driven new members to the network; paid registrations per day have skyrocketed more than 50 percent since the game’s launch.

2M in 45 days is very good and may have legs to break 3M by the end of the year if MS sees the December sales history would indicate is typical and their own sale goals.

While I think it is safe to say it is a hit and killer app, I was surprised to be talking to some Xbox owners who had not heard about the game :oops: And the fact there is no demo on Live and kiosks lack a demo as well (they have a little trailer, but it doesn't stand out and isn't highlighted... they really needed "themed" dashboards on kiosks as well as some more sales oriented looping trailers on there) I can kind of understand this. As many people who are on Live and read forums and IGN/Gamespot and so forth, there are millions of others who... don't. They are not online and while enjoying games don't subscribe to magazines and so forth (and surprisingly even those have fairly limite circulation).

I mention this because on a member only poll on another forum 100% of posters with over 40 members voting, everyone selected GOW as a must buy for 2006. Anecdotal, yes, but 100% and 30% is a pretty big disparity. Actually meeting people who had NO CLUE what GOW was (ahhh sequalitis! And now we know why sequals are so powerful) explains that some. Makes you wonder what games they do buy... PDZ? :LOL: 2M sounds "more" right. 1M didn't seem to jive with the demand I have seen from Xbox owners.

Nice to see a new franchise that was creative in regards to many game design elements be rewarded. And with brisk sales, it sends a message to publishers: If you want multi-million sellers, you gotta aim above GOW.

It's an M rated game with lots of blood and gore. I am not sure if they can simply make a kiosk demo that easily.

Hmm, that is a good point, I didn't think of that. You'd think they could figure out a workaround like disable the blood and bleeping the swearwords, seems like a big wasted opportunity.

Just have the kiosks run the trailer?

That song is super cool

Fun fact: Itunes reported a sharp increase in sales of the song "Mad World" by Gary Jules, after the GoW ad aired.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back