Sandy Bridge review thread.

I can't see spending the extra $$$ on anything past the 2500K. Would rather get a bigger SSD or faster GPU than a few hundred extra MHz that you'll likely never notice, at least in games.

I don't know, maybe if you made heavy use of a hyper-threaded app. Or if, say, you hadn't bought an Intel processor since you had a Celeron 333 and hyper-threading sounded way cooler and more important than it actually was. Hypothetically.

I'd like to know what games can't maintain 60fps on a 5GHz Sandy Bridge.

With only its embedded Intel GPU? Many. :)

On my rig (I'm only running 4.5 GHz) only Crysis and Crysis2 ever show a dip below 60 fps, but I haven't played a ton of other games.

I don't know, maybe if you made heavy use of a hyper-threaded app. Or if, say, you hadn't bought an Intel processor since you had a Celeron 333 and hyper-threading sounded way cooler and more important than it actually was. Hypothetically.

I should have been clearer that I meant only games.

On my rig (I'm only running 4.5 GHz) only Crysis and Crysis2 ever show a dip below 60 fps, but I haven't played a ton of other games.

Do you think it's the CPU or the GPUs causing the dips?

I'd like to know what games can't maintain 60fps on a 5GHz Sandy Bridge.
SupCom / SupCom FA. ;) Of course it depends on what you're doing but if you get into a big multiplayer game with an AI or two..... Even SupCom2 might be a challenge but it's so simplified that I'm not sure.

SupCom / SupCom FA. ;) Of course it depends on what you're doing but if you get into a big multiplayer game with an AI or two..... Even SupCom2 might be a challenge but it's so simplified that I'm not sure.

Heh, those large map multiplayer battles not only pushed the CPU hard, but they also ran into 32 bit Windows 2 GB VA limit fairly rapidly.

Regards,
SB

Forged Alliance is large address aware and can use up to 3GB. ;) The original game got an exe tweak by the community for this too. But if you're not on a 64-bit OS you need to use the Windows /3GB option to benefit.

Back