Sandy Bridge review thread.

Just got one of these, the 2600k + Asus p8p67 board and the reviews are right, it overclocks like mad! Couldn't be easier to do, the firmware has three buttons for economy, normal and performance. I just clicked performance and the overclocking was all done automatically. I left Vegas Pro 10 to render videos overnight and all 8 cores got locked at 100% use at 4.4ghz for hours with the stock cpu cooler. Ran like a charm, very impressed! It's so clearly faster than my old i7-920 ever was, scrubbing in Premiere Pro CS5 is real time now.

Just got one of these, the 2600k + Asus p8p67 board and the reviews are right, it overclocks like mad! Couldn't be easier to do, the firmware has three buttons for economy, normal and performance. I just clicked performance and the overclocking was all done automatically. I left Vegas Pro 10 to render videos overnight and all 8 cores got locked at 100% use at 4.4ghz for hours with the stock cpu cooler. Ran like a charm, very impressed! It's so clearly faster than my old i7-920 ever was, scrubbing in Premiere Pro CS5 is real time now.

Locking 4 cores at 100% with 8 threads is not terribly surprising though. For a workload like that would you be better off to get actual cores? Like a 6 core chip. When I looked at reviews it appeared to overclocked 2600k could just match an stock clock hex core chip. I will definitely be waiting until someone releases a decent priced hex core chip.

Hmmmm, maybe I'll upgrade one of my machines sooner rather than later. :p Do you know if it bumped up core voltage when it did the stock overclock? And I don't suppose you know what the system power draw (from wall socket) was at stock and stock overclock? :) I don't really do overclocking anymore, but SB has me somewhat interested in it with your report that stock overclock was so large. But potential power increase still has me concerned.

Regards,
SB

Locking 4 cores at 100% with 8 threads is not terribly surprising though. For a workload like that would you be better off to get actual cores? Like a 6 core chip. When I looked at reviews it appeared to overclocked 2600k could just match an stock clock hex core chip. I will definitely be waiting until someone releases a decent priced hex core chip.

Yeah definitely 6 cores would be better, but the 6 core cpu price always seemed to hover around the ~$1000 mark so I never bit, whereas I got the 2600k for $319. I'd love to get a 6 core sb when it comes out but I suspect they will also keep it at enthusiast pricing and at that price I'll probably just stick with my current one and spend that money on video cameras instead.

Hmmmm, maybe I'll upgrade one of my machines sooner rather than later. :p Do you know if it bumped up core voltage when it did the stock overclock? And I don't suppose you know what the system power draw (from wall socket) was at stock and stock overclock? :) I don't really do overclocking anymore, but SB has me somewhat interested in it with your report that stock overclock was so large. But potential power increase still has me concerned.

I just took a quick look using cpu-z, right now it reads like this:

Idle: 1.6ghz, ~0.992v
100% load on all cores: 4.4ghz, ~1.288v

So looks like it does bump it up. I do have a kill-a-watt meter so I can compare power draw idle/load as well, I'll do that tonight when I get back.

I will definitely be waiting until someone releases a decent priced hex core chip.
AMD's are cheap but they don't seem to hold up to SB or even the previous generation. Intel rakes in the dough on their hex cores, because they can of course.

AMD's are cheap but they don't seem to hold up to SB or even the previous generation. Intel rakes in the dough on their hex cores, because they can of course.

I know :) I have an X6 1055T in my machine. I just wish AMD could compete with intel so the prices would come down some. I thought very hard about going to intel in my last upgrade, but I really wanted a 6 core chip and just could not justify the price.

I just took a quick look using cpu-z, right now it reads like this:

Idle: 1.6ghz, ~0.992v
100% load on all cores: 4.4ghz, ~1.288v

So looks like it does bump it up. I do have a kill-a-watt meter so I can compare power draw idle/load as well, I'll do that tonight when I get back.

Cool, but what I meant was power draw at stock with no overclocking and then power draw at the auto-overclock speed. I'm interested to see how much power draw increases. If it's not large, I may jump on SB sooner rather than later. Heh, your post got me interested enough that I started looking up prices for MB and CPU on Newegg as well as reading some MB reviews. :p So power draw at 3.4 (3.8 turbo with only 1 core used) ghz versus 4.4 (4.8 turbo with only 1 core or does it just stay at 4.4 regardless of core count at that point?) ghz. :)

Regards,
SB

Not only that, AMD motherboards used to be cheaper. Now if you want something with USB3 and SB850, it's not any cheaper than a H67 motherboard.

AMD's mobos still are cheaper - P67s are starting for way above a good overclocking AMD board (even with SB850 and USB 3).

On the subject of the ASUS P8P67 (Pro), anyone else tried out the Intel RAID 1 on the mobo? For some reason mine is real slow - read speeds are slower than a single drive (about a thrid the speed on sequential reads) and way way way below Windows own RAID 1 implementation.

Also getting the strange cold boot behaviour that lots of other P8P67 owners are reporting.

Also, I either got the worst memory sticks ever or memory overclocking is a bit limited at the moment.

Also getting the strange cold boot behaviour that lots of other P8P67 owners are reporting.

I think I have that issue also, where if you cold boot it will try to boot a few times and fail and you have to reset it, then it boots. I don't actually power off my machine though since I always use sleep, hence it's a non issue for me but I presume it's a simple firmware fix anyways.

Also, I either got the worst memory sticks ever or memory overclocking is a bit limited at the moment.

What memory do you have? I have patriot 2400 ram, cpu-z reports timing as 9-11-9-27-2t. I've stress tested the machine quite a bit and it's been solid so far at 4.4ghz.

AMD's mobos still are cheaper - P67s are starting for way above a good overclocking AMD board (even with SB850 and USB 3).

On the subject of the ASUS P8P67 (Pro), anyone else tried out the Intel RAID 1 on the mobo? For some reason mine is real slow - read speeds are slower than a single drive (about a thrid the speed on sequential reads) and way way way below Windows own RAID 1 implementation.

Are you sure you're using the Intel raid and not the Marvel raid? I read in one review that raid performance of the Marvel raid on the Asus boards was atrocious. It was far worse than raid over the Intel 3G SATA much less the Intel 6G.

Regards,
SB

With regard to memey oc'ing, didn't I read the sb only oc's well via multiplier and tha upclock basically doesn't work?

With regard to memey oc'ing, didn't I read the sb only oc's well via multiplier and tha upclock basically doesn't work?

Upping the Uncore or whatever it's called clockspeed will do something, but A. It can't be raised more than 5 MHZ at most unless you get REALLY lucky. B. The small boost you get from that is just not worth while.

So, effectively you're right, but the answer is a bit more nuanced than that. ;)

Upping the Uncore or whatever it's called clockspeed will do something, but A. It can't be raised more than 5 MHZ at most unless you get REALLY lucky. B. The small boost you get from that is just not worth while.

So, effectively you're right, but the answer is a bit more nuanced than that. ;)

yeah. I was on my phone for that post - hard to be nuanced on such a tiny browser and keyboard :)

yeah. I was on my phone for that post - hard to be nuanced on such a tiny browser and keyboard :)

I would say so!

I've tried browsing with my PSP and DSi. Not exactly the same thing by any means, but the tiny browser/keyboard part does apply. Makes it rather hard to communicate!

Well because of that bastard (meant in the kindest way) Joker454's experiences with Sandy Bridge I ended up getting a 2500k and Asus P8P67 pro. I have to say, I'm pretty impressed.

At idle it's already using 32 watts less than my i7-860. And since it only requires multiplier adjustments leaving BCLK at 100 means idle power does increase with overclocking unless you raise Vcore.

Since most review sites mention 44x multiplier at default Vcore as almost universally attainable I jumped right to 45x at stock Vcore on air. Going to leave Prime95 running overnight, but so far it's going along just fine.

I'll be interested to see what load power use at OC'd speeds is tomorrow. First chip I've really bothered to OC since the Athlon 64 days. Almost reminds me of the old 300 mhz Celerons that could OC to a minimum of 450 mhz. Actually looking at overclocks, this could be as good if not better at overclocking than those legendary chips.

Of course, this means I've blown almost half my yearly computer hardware budget already and it hasn't even been a month. :p

Regards,
SB

I'm so tempted. Just wish AMD would get some bulldozer benchmarks out there so I could write it off and get SB (or not).

Back