Got Burned By EB: Thinking Worlwide Launch Is a Bad Idea

I took this worlwide launch thing from Microsoft as some ambitious goal on their part. I didn't think it was going to affect me. See, I preordered in August, my shit is fully paid and I was #16 on the list so I was guaranteed a system, right? Wrong. Wrong as a mofo. Yesterday EB called me and broke the bad news. Microsoft "cut" their Xbox 360 launch shipment to 12 units. Bum fuck. I don't know whose at fault, but I'd pin it on EB who repeatedly told me that my shit was guaranteed. Hell, initially they refused my preorder but called me a week later and stated that "We opened up more preorder slots, so if you want to be on the list give us your $50" (okay I'm paraphrasing here). Now I'm out in the cold and not happy at all. I'm pretty bummed. So I guess I'll just keep my money there until the 21st just in case someone drops out. If my situation is still the same, I'm taking my money and then it's off to Target/Walmart on the morning of the 22nd.

I guess this is a byproduct of Microsoft's desire to be everywhere at once, which makes absolutely no goddam sense to me. Especially Japan which is a liverspot on a fly's ass in regards to significance to MS's worldwide success.

MIcrosoft didn't cut anything .

I'm sorry but eb started taking preorders before the xbox 360 was even announced and kept taking them even after they reached thier alotted shipment totals . Then they shut them down. But u know what ? They started them back up for awhile .

Now eb is trying to find a scape goat . My friend is a manager at al ocal eb and he told me it was simply thier fault but the ihgher ups said blame limited shipment numbers .

At gamestop we started telling people after the 10th preorder we are taking reserves for 2nd shipment

Just do the smart thing (as you pointed out you might do), go to a store that doesn't take preorders on the morning of the 22nd, when the store opens. I'm probably gonna head to target/walmart/bestbuy before work and see what happens (and if I can, buy 2-3 of them -- Ebay here I come!) -- worst case I don't get one (not a big deal for me, I have plenty of stuff to play but I figured I'd snag one if I could). I haven't really been a fan of preordering things because you have to put too much faith in what you can't control (preordering games is one thing, but something as popular as a console is too much for me).

fye only started taking preorders in october , u might want to stop in on one .

However don't remove your preorder from eb as you might not find one and then get stuck .

The good news ms should be providing weekly shipments

The EB I go to took 300 preorders. But are only getting 47!! I think my best bet is going to Best Buy or Comp USA.

jvd said:

I'm sorry but eb started taking preorders before the xbox 360 was even announced and kept taking them even after they reached thier alotted shipment totals . Then they shut them down. But u know what ? They started them back up for awhile .

Now eb is trying to find a scape goat . My friend is a manager at al ocal eb and he told me it was simply thier fault but the ihgher ups said blame limited shipment numbers .

At gamestop we started telling people after the 10th preorder we are taking reserves for 2nd shipment
I wonder if that's legally actionable. I mean, they did the right thing in refusing my preorder the first time, but when they called me the second time and told me that they had more preorders, that was downright irresponsible. Did they really have hard shipment numbers from MS? They told me that MS cut their shipment. So maybe it is MS fault. If I were them, I'd lobby like hell to get those units. I mean, it's only like 20 consoles.

Its not just 20 consoles . Eb did this at every store and i believe there are 1200 stores .

Eb simply took as many preorders as possible because it a) padded thier numbers and b) got people to preorder the unit , games and acessorys at thier stores , this prevents people from getting the unit and stuff else where since they already have the money down at one place

Gamestop does the same thing , however they say second shipment after they can't guarntee launch .

We started second shipment peorders the day after we started taking preorders as we had 12 people on staff preorder as soon as the sku wnet active

It's easy to argue for a staggered worldwide release when you're not the one shafted by the stagger. There's already going to be more demand than supply, so I don't see the point in segregating supply to one area.

exactly....

i'm in the UK, and i'm glad..... no amazed infact, that for once we aren;t getting shafted on either the price or the launch date.

besides... shortages create hype for a console. Nothing makes little jimmy want something more than being told he can't have it.

i have an order down with play from a good while back, and when they sent out an email saying that the shipment wasn't guaranteed (blanket email to everyone) i went and put a order down at my local Comet and they took a 10 quid deposit. I was 3rd on the list there.... but as they aren't a gaming specific stroe, i have no idea how reliable that will be.

hopefully, one way or another i will get a console at launch. if both rock up then i'll do little jimmy a favour and let him temper tantrum until his parents buy the second one off ebay for him.

jvd said:

Both companys started taking pre-orders long ago,also i pre order mine in July 28 by this time the gamestop i pre-order in should had like 150 pre-orders,and they din't told me you will get it in the second shipment.

I pre-ordered mine the day after E3, so I am sure that MS had not told them that early how many they would receive.

Alpha: Wellcome to the club :(

Jvd: I still think that they are dishonest... If they are honest, they would first give priority to preorders to their store customers and do not sell any boxes on internet.

Instead, both GS and EB decided to sell a lot of boxes on internet while they know that they cannot fullfill the preorders. At the end, I think to make short term gain, they just loose a lot of customers.

Alpha_Spartan said:
I guess this is a byproduct of Microsoft's desire to be everywhere at once, which makes absolutely no goddam sense to me.

Trust me, there are some 300+ million Europeans and 120+ million Japanese for whom this makes perfect sense!

We pay the same as you do (actually in most cases substantially more) and we're really damn tired of being second class consumers :)

Inane_Dork said:
It's easy to argue for a staggered worldwide release when you're not the one shafted by the stagger. There's already going to be more demand than supply, so I don't see the point in segregating supply to one area.
To get the device out there and people talking about it. Once it's there and people want one, they'll wait to buy it when available. But if they can't see it and so don't know it exists, they'll spend their money elsewhere. Same should be done with PS3. Sony can't get it out to supply everyone who wants one. If they limit themselves to Japan then they keep the locals happy but in the EU and NA the pundits see XB360 but nothing of PS3. Better to show the hardware in stores, get a few sales, and some much needed exposure. It's not like a shortage of available units has ever been bad for business. No-one (normally) says, 'heck, I want this thing but if I've got to wait two months I just won't bother' when there's no suitable alternative product to choose from.

I guess this means I should whip down to EB when the Revolution pre-orders start, and only sign on if I can get in the first 20 or so.

Alpha_Spartan said:
I took this worlwide launch thing from Microsoft as some ambitious goal on their part. I didn't think it was going to affect me. See, I preordered in August, my shit is fully paid and I was #16 on the list so I was guaranteed a system, right? Wrong. Wrong as a mofo. Yesterday EB called me and broke the bad news. Microsoft "cut" their Xbox 360 launch shipment to 12 units. Bum fuck. I don't know whose at fault, but I'd pin it on EB who repeatedly told me that my shit was guaranteed. Hell, initially they refused my preorder but called me a week later and stated that "We opened up more preorder slots, so if you want to be on the list give us your $50" (okay I'm paraphrasing here). Now I'm out in the cold and not happy at all. I'm pretty bummed. So I guess I'll just keep my money there until the 21st just in case someone drops out. If my situation is still the same, I'm taking my money and then it's off to Target/Walmart on the morning of the 22nd.

I guess this is a byproduct of Microsoft's desire to be everywhere at once, which makes absolutely no goddam sense to me. Especially Japan which is a liverspot on a fly's ass in regards to significance to MS's worldwide success.

That's a burn, especially with you being #16.

Cancel the preorder and go into BestBuy first thing in the morning, that's what I'm doing...

Just to repeat that yes we the people the other side of the pond are actually very please MS has taken us seriously this time unlike Sony and Nitendo usually do.
And if this takes a few 360 away from some of the more arogant US citizens who think they have an automatic right to them\all the worlds oil reserves\bomb the living sh@t out of other countries etc. then fair play.

I had my pre-order in on july 1st, the manager at irgin mega store said i should get one.

All i can say is cool only 11 days after the septics and thats progress fellas.

Last time I gave an update on my preorder I had put down $200 on top of the intial $50 and the guy had told me I was 14th on the list. I called them today to see if I was still guaranteed a system. Now I'm suddenly 15th on the list and they're only getting in 14 systems... Yep. Probably slipped to 15th because of some employee wanting one or them playing favorites with a friend :rolleyes:

They're also playing that stupid game many of the EB's/Gamestop's are doing, ie. if you pay off your preorder on the system you have a greater chance of getting the system. So, I went to my EB earlier this evening and paid off my preorder. I'm the swing-man now according to them. The cutoff date to have your system paid off is the 20th, so if any one of the 14 people ahead of me don't have theirs paid off in full before then I immediately take their spot. Not very comforting... I'm not going to cancel my preorder and get a refund though. If I wind up not getting one come launch day, whatever... I'll just wait :neutral:

Back