God of War: Ragnarok [PC, PS4, PS5]

It’s only double when comparing older GPUs to the PS4. That’s been the norm for most Sony ports that are DX12. Uncharted 4, TLOU, Forbidden West and Ghosts. Only Spiderman performed reasonably.
Again, requiring higher on-paper specs on PC has been normal for these PS4 1st party titles, but not DOUBLE or more the power. That's not normal. I've played quite a few of them at this point.

I know something like Pascal isn't great with async compute or whatever, but it's not so bad as this would suggest. Plenty of DX12 titles run fine on these GPU's. Much of the issues surrounding the early days of DX12 titles were as much devs not being used to using it as it was anything hardware-related. And it's not like Ragnarok is using any DX12U features as standard or anything.

Again, requiring higher on-paper specs on PC has been normal for these PS4 1st party titles, but not DOUBLE or more the power. That's not normal. I've played quite a few of them at this point.

I know something like Pascal isn't great with async compute or whatever, but it's not so bad as this would suggest. Plenty of DX12 titles run fine on these GPU's. Much of the issues surrounding the early days of DX12 titles were as much devs not being used to using it as it was anything hardware-related. And it's not like Ragnarok is using any DX12U features as standard or anything.
Have you played any of those titles or watched youtube runs of them on pascal GPUs? It really is that bad.

Have you played any of those titles or watched youtube runs of them on pascal GPUs? It really is that bad.
Those specific games, no.

I just had a look at Ghost of Tsushima with a GTX1070 and........yea, you seem to be right here. Even at 1080p with Medium settings, it seems to be in the 30-40fps range for much of the time.

My bad on this.

Really makes me wonder why they're doing this, though. Especially for something like Ghost of Tsushima which doesn't have any DX12-required features as far as I know.

I just had a look at Ghost of Tsushima with a GTX1070 and........yea, you seem to be right here. Even at 1080p with Medium settings, it seems to be in the 30-40fps range for much of the time.

My bad on this.

Really makes me wonder why they're doing this, though. Especially for something like Ghost of Tsushima which doesn't have any DX12-required features as far as I know.
The features don't matter, It would be too much work to rewrite the code to perform well on these older GPUs.

Do the shaders from Playstation Consoles work as is in Direct3D ?
At a high level yes, but PlayStation uses its own shader language. Any code paths or "hacks" tailored specifically to Playstation may not work at all as Direct X doesn't expose as much functionality. Work arounds may end up being quite a bit slower to achieve the same or similar results.

My bad on this.

Ghost of Tsushima is another horrible one. A 4080 to run a PS4 game at 4K/max settings/60 fps lol? It doesn’t have that much going on beyond the PS4 even maxed out as highlighted by Alex.

I don't know about DX12U features but those late PS4 gen games should extensively use PS4 features like async compute which that hardware has in abundance.

I imagine it's simply a matter of the devs optimising the PC version of the game in line with how modern GPU architectures work which is likely less than optimal for the 8 year old Pascal.

I'm sure if Pascal was the primary target for the PC port it would perform far better on that architecture.

Back