God of War: Ragnarok [PC, PS4, PS5]

Your complaints about kratos are actually positives for me and actually the main point of the story.

God of war isn't an edgelords fantasy anymore, the game has matured as kratos has. This type of game is no more safe than the original trilogy was back when the main demographic of games like this thought blood, cursing, breasts and other such things were examples of being adult like.

David jaffe was a visionary but he also largely existed inside a time capsule and the other games just followed that template for a long time after he left. The very definition of safe game design.

The main goal of modern god of war is to change kratos into a legitimately good person who legitimately regrets his past mistakes. Whether or not one likes that is subjective but it's the entire point and they haven't exactly been hiding it since 2018.

They had already done that in the first Nord of War. From what I've played, so far, they seem to have overdone it in this title.

The writing, as a whole, seems less elegant. Characters over explain, both plot and their internal conflicts. Also, all characters, not just Kratos, seem way too goodie-good for a world of back-stabbing, war-ready, nordix gods.

So far I've heard Atreus say "Just trust me" about a hundred times to each characters, most of which have zero reason to trust him or do him any favours, and yet they do. They don't feel like real people. I've been asking myself how nobody has told Atreus to go fuck himself so far. Its pushed the plausibility of the charactes to a point I stopped caring about the story. I'm only slightly curious to see how the plot unfolds, but I don't care about anything because it feels like an assemblage of random events that would never follow from one another if the characters were written like actual people.

Seems partly like a case of putting plot over characters. They set out to have sertain events occur, and then the characters are forsed to go along with the plot regardless if it fits their personality.

I don't know if californians are that soft, but I feel like recently, most games coming from the west cost are going into this direction where every character talks like a school consuler. Maybe that's how the writer thinks ideally suportive friends would interact with each other, but sure as hell isn't how I see actual human beings interact.

Ironically, I felt the same way about TLOU2, but in reverse. The characters were too obsessed with revenge and too no-self-preservation-super-hero-like for a "grounded" post apocalyptic world.

The more "adulty" these video game stories are trying to be, the more the sheltered, under-socialized and lacking in life-experience, their writers are starting to show to be. I think many games are aiming for stuff they lack the subtlety and finesse to execute. Perhaps the old parody-like of Hollywoodian tropes are a safer route.

i'm being overly critical and mean right now, though.

Yeah. Your being really generalizing and judgemental on a personal level to the point of being ignorant without any real evidence behind your views

You don't have to like the story, but to go that far speaks to more issues than just a problem with the story or how the game is

There's TONS of problems with this game. I'm personally giving it a 7.5/10 because I hate brain dead puzzles, and REALLY hate AI characters that don't know when to shut up about giving hints for brain dead puzzles.

There's TONS of problems with this game. I'm personally giving it a 7.5/10 because I hate brain dead puzzles, and REALLY hate AI characters that don't know when to shut up about giving hints for brain dead puzzles.

Its prohibited to review it such score, atleast to larger outlets. Death treaths may happen ;)

This is why I love stuff like the Boys which is for me simply a realistic take on the super heroes thing.
Sorry but Ragnarok narration is defenitly more mature than The Boys :LOL: I like tv series a lot but showing super hero killing innocent people doesnt mean it realistic/mature, the boys is as mature and realistic as mortal kombat is ;d

Its prohibited to review it such score, atleast to larger outlets. Death treaths may happen ;)
People just have different ideas of what they like in games. It's nothing big. I would not have given such large scores to botw but I can admit it's a well made game

After main story strongly recomand to finish short one new mission as we get great secret ending with this awsome soundtrack:

They had already done that in the first Nord of War. From what I've played, so far, they seem to have overdone it in this title.

The writing, as a whole, seems less elegant. Characters over explain, both plot and their internal conflicts. Also, all characters, not just Kratos, seem way too goodie-good for a world of back-stabbing, war-ready, nordix gods.

So far I've heard Atreus say "Just trust me" about a hundred times to each characters, most of which have zero reason to trust him or do him any favours, and yet they do. They don't feel like real people. I've been asking myself how nobody has told Atreus to go fuck himself so far. Its pushed the plausibility of the charactes to a point I stopped caring about the story. I'm only slightly curious to see how the plot unfolds, but I don't care about anything because it feels like an assemblage of random events that would never follow from one another if the characters were written like actual people.

Seems partly like a case of putting plot over characters. They set out to have sertain events occur, and then the characters are forsed to go along with the plot regardless if it fits their personality.

I don't know if californians are that soft, but I feel like recently, most games coming from the west cost are going into this direction where every character talks like a school consuler. Maybe that's how the writer thinks ideally suportive friends would interact with each other, but sure as hell isn't how I see actual human beings interact.

Ironically, I felt the same way about TLOU2, but in reverse. The characters were too obsessed with revenge and too no-self-preservation-super-hero-like for a "grounded" post apocalyptic world.

The more "adulty" these video game stories are trying to be, the more the sheltered, under-socialized and lacking in life-experience, their writers are starting to show to be. I think many games are aiming for stuff they lack the subtlety and finesse to execute. Perhaps the old parody-like of Hollywoodian tropes are a safer route.

That´s very well put and how I feel also.

I finished the main story yesterday, clocked in 57.5h. I think it was great and I did like the story, but I do agree that it felt a little safeish. yeah I guess I'm in the minority these days, but I miss the nude chicks from the old games :cool:

I played with the default difficulty and it felt just about right. I do want to clean up the end game content, but I have difficulties beating the tougher end game bosses... I guess I need some changes to my build and hone my strategies.

I did encounter bugs at least 5 times that required loading a previous checkpoint to progress and few smaller bugs on top, but technically the game is still very solid. I did switch from the 40fps initially to the 120 performance mode, but the last 70% I played with the 60fps mode. I thought the graphics were mostly great and the realms were nice to look at, still very much a gross gen game. I thought the weakest part strangely was some of the ingame character models. Atreus and freya looked surprisingly simple and low quality for main characters imo. Kratos and few others were much better and looked almost a generation apart.

Started playing last weekend and love it so far. Story and pacing got me instantly hooked, not to mention outstanding graphics and voice acting. The music is much better than in previous part (in GoW 2018 they tried to imitate Witcher music themes). For a cross-gen game, it looks better on my PS5 than 98% of pure Next Gen games and in many places it reminded me of UE5 demo. Also they improve greatly on side quests, fighting style and riddles. Maybe a bit too much hand holding, but thats my only reservation toward this game so far.

And yet reading this forum I was under the impression the game is all right at most. Glad, that it is not the case.

Reactions: snc
I think "safe" is the most apt word I could find to fit the game. It was pretty good, but for me the story was oddly paced and the ending act was super underwhelming. And yeah the hand holding needs toning down.

I managed to squeeze a Platinum out of this, I only have 1 other Platinum before this (Days Gone) game clock is saying 66H now. I had to lower the difficulty to give me mercy to take out 2 end game bosses haha, still wasn't that easy. My old fingers get tired easier now 😊
Some other nice end game content as well. It was a great experience.

Seems we have never updated the thread title to include the PC version.

53894219642_152e9d00da_k.jpg

Yea these will be wrong, as usual.

A base PS4 can play this at 1080p/30fps and likely with something at least slightly better than Low settings. Yet we'll need both a GPU and CPU that's more than twice as powerful to run it at 1080p/30fps/Low?

Requiring an SSD will also almost certainly be wrong for similar reasons. And why on earth does it need 190GB?

This wasn't a game that had any kind of dramatically different/better visuals on PS5 over PS4, either. So I doubt it's cuz we're getting some unique PS5 feature set as the minimum baseline.

Last edited:
Yea these will be wrong, as usual.

A base PS4 can play this at 1080p/30fps and likely with something at least slightly better than Low settings. Yet we'll need both a GPU and CPU that's more than twice as powerful to run it at 1080p/30fps/Low?

Requiring an SSD will also almost certainly be wrong for similar reasons. And why on earth does it need 190GB?

This wasn't a game that had any kind of dramatically different/better visuals on PS5 over PS4, either. So I doubt it's cuz we're getting some unique PS5 feature set as the minimum baseline.
Recent Sony ports have required much better hardware to match the console experience. Particularly when looking at older GPUs like Pascal. If this is now a DX12 game, I expect those specs will be fairly accurate.

Last edited:
Recent Sony ports have required much better hardware to match the console experience. Particularly when looking at older GPUs like Pascal. If this is now a DX12 game I expect those specs will be fairly accurate.
There's a difference between needing something more powerful than what consoles have(which I expect), and literally needing something more than twice as powerful. That's a little much.

And these things are never accurate. Like, you need more than a 3070->3080Ti to get from 1440p to 4k with even higher settings in most any game. They're just spitballing things as usual.

It (GoW:R) DOES appear to require DX12 now according to the requirements on the Steam store page. I figured they would use DX11 again. Hopefully the port is good and these "requirements" are flexible.

There's a difference between needing something more powerful than what consoles have(which I expect), and literally needing something more than twice as powerful. That's a little much.

And these things are never accurate. Like, you need more than a 3070->3080Ti to get from 1440p to 4k with even higher settings in most any game. They're just spitballing things as usual.
It’s only double when comparing older GPUs to the PS4. That’s been the norm for most Sony ports that are DX12. Uncharted 4, TLOU, Forbidden West and Ghosts. Only Spiderman performed reasonably.

Back