Giving Negative Rep --Some Personal Standards

Geo

Mostly Harmless
Legend
So, Senior Members and Regulars, what will your standards be for giving --and not giving-- Negative Rep? While it appears these will have to be personal, in that it cannot be policed except in retrospect (i.e. site staff might check your record and reduce your standing if you are perceived to be abusing), here are mine (so far).

No tit for tat. I will not give out bad rep to someone who has given it to me, solely for that reason. Functionally, I've decided that means at least 48 hours wait before giving out bad rep to someone who has given it to me, and then only on a post that deserves it (should one be made) and that was made after that 48 hour period. Not perfect, but hopefully helpful.

I will not give out bad rep at all at a post aimed at me, no matter how much I find it odious, for the same reason. This means I would be relying on other Senior Members and Regulars to call "over the line" on such a post, as I would do for them. Tho obviously less than a Senior Member would not see who the bad rep came from, and might assume it was me, it won't be.

I will not give out bad rep in the Politics forum for anything other than egregious personal attacks on another forum member (other than myself, as I already said I'm not going to protect me that way). Public figures, and cherished political beliefs get no protection. Moderate sharp elbows are the price of admission there, but "you fascist sob" and "you snivelling liberal cry-baby" kinds of comments might get my attention. This will be more art than science tho, and I haven't given any out yet there, and would like not to.

So mostly bad rep will be given out by me for egregious style and spamming, and chronically unnecessarily contentious style being high on the list. Content will not get bad rep per se.

It all depends on how high and giggly I am at the time, very subjective.
yep.gif

Reactions: Geo
Dunno, i am fameable one here. And i did give some negs just for sake of it.
But that was when they were annonymous... now i think twice before giving negs.

My biggest problem with whole rep system stays.... either we all have it turned on or it is disabled for all. Personally i can take negs and if they are more then just "you idiot" i might consider them and change my behavior on the forums accordingly....
But if people can disable it.... then its useless feature for attention whorse (i hope noone is affended by this)....

It should be -> Either all or none.... simple....

My basic rule is always to try and reply to the content, rather than the poster. However if the content is rude, belligerant, offensive, off topic, thread crapping/derailing, or has a long term pattern of adding no value and just creating noise with no signal....

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
My basic rule is always to try and reply to the content, rather than the poster. However if the content is rude, belligerant, offensive, off topic, thread crapping/derailing, or has a long term pattern of adding no value and just creating noise with no signal....

Well, I was assuming that was one of the advantages of the rep system --now you have a way to record that and give that feedback without taking the thread itself further away or into public "everybody join in and lets have a flame-fest" territory.

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
That's the correct answer of this thread.

I wholeheartedly agree with that.

Although I have to say, that in the first days of the new board I played around with the Rep system and some negative points were distributed unfairly... Sorry, truely, I am.

I also gave Geo a bad point because he has too many cats... That's unhealthy.
And because he bad rep me when I was kidding around on one of the Sage's thread.

/runs...

Vysez said:
I also gave Geo a bad point because he has too many cats... That's unhealthy.
And because he bad rep me when I was kidding around on one of the Sage's thread.

/runs...

Careful there, big fella. You might want to look at that pets thread again, and ponder if anti-feline racist posts might not find themself with a 3x multiplier on negative reputation. ;)

digitalwanderer said:
You can't have too many cats! :???:

As every little old lady you ever saw on the front page of the newspaper, just arrested for having 300 cats in her two-bedroom house, says. :)

But we haven't gotten there, yet <knock on wood>. Most we've ever had at one time was seven, but that was special circumstances (three "rescues"). And even then it was a bit frantic, as we were just starting to contemplate cross-country move preparations. But bad kidneys and old age whittled it down to three before we actually started the move.

People should have the choice to be involved in this rep. thing or not. Even if it means permanently loosing priviledges like PMing, I'm for that. I don't want any part of this. I want my rep. disabled for good.

The following thread is a perfect example of the conspiring that is already going on, which also involves me. I sorry Dave B. that this is "another" negative post by me, but as you can see, it involves simular circumstances. Take away my post count, my rank, my PMing, just get me off this cetain disaster of reping, which will make a good site go down in no time.

Dave read the entire thread:

http://www.elitebastards.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11604&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Poppi said:
People should have the choice to be involved in this rep. thing or not. Even if it means permanently loosing priviledges like PMing, I'm for that. I don't want any part of this. I want my rep. disabled for good.

The following thread is a perfect example of the conspiring that is already going on, which also involves me. I sorry Dave B. that this is "another" negative post by me, but as you can see, it involves simular circumstances. Take away my post count, my rank, my PMing, just get me off this cetain disaster of reping, which will make a good site go down in no time.

Dave read the entire thread:

http://www.elitebastards.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11604&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Good link, I 'specially liked this bit at the bottom of the second page posted a few hours before your post:
digitalwanderer at EB said:
Damned but if it isn't getting a little weird over there over this whole rep thing, but I think the worst of the adjustment period is over and it's almost back to normal.

The only bad thing about the system is it is rife for abuse from the really heavy regulars there, if a half-dozen people there got together they could wreak havoc playing with people's rep with the way they got the system set-up.....basically it's time of membership + postcount + rep = reputation points you give per awarding, and since I got pretty decent in all three my ability to affect reputation over there is almost scary, me and LB together could pretty much hose god over there if we felt like. :oops:

But we won't, it just ain't right.

I like the idea of the reputation system and if people use it responsibly it could help out a great deal over there, it's just a tool to be used for good or ill....so I'm working on using it for good.

I guess what I'm saying is no more random rep bumps from me, sorry. :oops:

I want to give their new system a chance to work, I posted this thread up before I realized how their new system works.....I'm publically retracting my offer as of now as I do not want to play with their site toys over here as that just don't seem very responsible of me.

I'll leave the thread open for a bit for comments, but I'll probably lock it down later tonight if there is no activity in it.
Emphasis mine. ;)

John Reynolds said:
You do realize that the bulk of that thread consists of people joking around, don't you?
No, it's a conspiracy...I'm pretty sure Poppi is right on this one. I know he just seems like he's hell bent on making trouble for me or EB here, but this time he just may be on to something.... ;)

John Reynolds said:
You do realize that the bulk of that thread consists of people joking around, don't you?

For instance, Hanners did NOT get negative rep from me. And, so far as that goes, in a moment of compassion I gave Poppi *good* rep, in the hopes that he could work his way into a new start, be a contributing member at B3D, understand that there isn't a grand "everybody hates Poppi conspiracy", etc.

But, no, apparently the vendetta must continue, all else is secondary to that. Ah well, I wash my hands of it, once and for all (probably about the third time. . but this time for good).

Poppi said:
This is not about any EBers. I just want out of this rep thing. Simple as that!!!
It's about a post I made on my site about this site's reputation system, how do you figure it has nothing to do with any EBers?

I mean, I've been called a lot of things but I ain't never not been called an EBer I'm pretty sure. :???:

Your post was nothing but an attack, and a badly researched one at that. You want it to stop, THEN STOP!!! :devilish:

geo said:
For instance, Hanners did NOT get negative rep from me.

I wish I could say the same. :cool:

At this point, Geo, you might actually have cat-free, clean hands.

As for the original purpose of this thread: bifurcate yourself from my reality, my tastes, my opinions, my preferences, and you get a negative hit from me. :devilish:

I keed, I keed.

digitalwanderer said:
It's about a post I made on my site about this site's reputation system, how do you figure it has nothing to do with any EBers?

I mean, I've been called a lot of things but I ain't never not been called an EBer I'm pretty sure. :???:

Your post was nothing but an attack, and a badly researched one at that. You want it to stop, THEN STOP!!! :devilish:

Dave B, I will take this a step further. I promise never to interact with digitalwander again on this site, whether I agree or disagree with him on anything, if you just disable this rep. thing I have. In fact, I will conceed to an instant Ban of me, if this promise I made, is broken.

Geo's thread was an excellent initiative, with very good posts*, all around, discussing, this once a novelty and now a tool, the reputation system.
The point of the thread was to argument about what kind of standards we use for the rep points we distribute.

Then, one poster, one day, with a few tens of posts, decided to whine about the system. Going as far as punctuating one his post with some colorful and imaginative use of the exclamation point. Great!

Was this poster correct when he said, in ANOTHER THREAD ALREADY, that DW shouldn't bomb him with bad rep? Yes.
Did DW agreed upon stopping using bad rep on him? Yes.

Therefore, was crapping this good thread really necessary? NO!

Now enough already. The system is there, and it won't change because of how many time you ask! If something seems unfair to you (e.g.: digi giving you too much bd rep), let a moderator know the situation. Then the moderator will handle the situation from then.

Derailling (very) good threads because you dislike a system, that nobody ask you if you like or not in the first place, will only earn you more heat (bad rep), or worse a ban, if Dave or the staff get annoyed by this.

PS: Didn't you say in the other thread that you left EB? Why are you reading their forums?
Meh, anyway, I don't want to know. Stop, whining!

*(Well, except the part about the cats...)

Back