General Next Generation Rumors and Discussions [Post GDC 2020]

Microsoft has their annual Build event from May 19th - 21st -- https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/build but not sure if they've switched to digital only or workshops or just postponed/cancelled/replaced with something else.
Going to be digital, sign up has just opened up I believe.

Xbox has confirmed the inside xbox next week, and also has mentioned about the following one. So their both confirmed.
If there's going to be Lockhart news it will be at the second one when they reveal the prices. If they don't reveal the price at second show then i expect a third show, maybe trying to stretch things out. But hoping that we get everything in two shows.

I hope MS doesnt reveal price(sl until after Sony's price reveal, just to keep things dicey.
I suspect they are both going to try to reveal price last.
Unless either get a bit of inside info, but i doubt either would be too confident in that.
With ms doing 2 shows it does give them the opportunity to do the second after Sony, and still keep the the info coming at a reasonable pace.

I paid over $500 au to get the first ps1 imported, equivalent to over two grand in today’s money.
heck pc games back then were + $250 bucks in today’s money. how things have changed!

Sounds like they’ll both be great machines.
These consoles will be pushing boundaries like nothing before.
The RRP price will be be stated about a month before launch IMO.
there are too many variables at the moment with a very fickle market place to discuss pricing.

This is exactly my situation. I was definitely getting a next gen console probably both but now it's a case of how am I going to survive. Even getting The Last of us 2 and Ghost of Tsushima is probably not going to happen.

Yup. And some of the Government measures rolled for for COVID-19, while for good, have themselves introduced uncertainty. I have friends [here in the UK] where their employer is now in lockdown stasis but where the Government are paying most of their wages, but they fear when the lockdown lifts they employer will close down and they'll be unemployed with unemployment benefit being a fraction of their Government-subsidised wage. But they are effectively stuck employment-wise. Some of them would just just deal with being unemployed in 2 months now. Not knowing is worse.

So yeah. There are going to be a bunch of gamers like yourself who know gaming is going to take a back seat, but also a lot of folks who just don't know at this time and may not know for a while. Some bitter-sweet positives from COVID-19 is a lot of employers have realised that teleconferencing is not only doable but also saves a lot of money. So lightening of load on transport services is inevitable when the lockdown lifts which isn't good if you work for a train/airline company, or a company that makes food for train/airline companies or services/cleans trains/aircraft etc etc. There will be lots of trickle-down effects.

I bet both Microsoft and Sony are having very difficult conversations abut how many consoles to make for Holidays 2020, too many is also bad. You don't want to have to pay to storing millions of consoles - that's expensive. There is only so much channel stuffing you can do approaching/around launch.

We still don’t even know what the bloody thing looks like! :|
lol, did you know what PS4 looked like 7 years ago around this time?
I have no idea whatsoever [emoji38]
I feel like it was shown in Apr/May and then pricing etc at E3. IIRC.
It was first shown at e3, if I'm not mistaken. Only the controller and camera were shown during the Feb 2013 event.

February 20, 2013 - PlayStation Meeting

PS4 architecture, controller - demos, camera, including the first look at Dreams

June 10, 2013 - E3

PS4 console reveal

I could listen to Mark Cerny for three hours. I could listen to Mark Cerny talk for twelve hours straight. :yep2: His voice is mesmerising!

Oh absolutely. Was taking more about the MTV interviews and executives. I'd happily let 12hrs of Cerny wash over me.

So according to this guy, his sources claim that the PS5 is supposed to have 2 events.
One on 27th of May
and the second on June 4th
Mostly the first one is about reveal of the PS5.

At least 3 exclusive games will be shown:

- Gran Turismo
- Bluepoint game (he knows what it is)
- and a game announced last year without a platform and it became a PS5 exclusive

Looking back at one of the reveals from VGA 2019, a game called Prologue came up to me. It's the new game from the creator of PUBG and it sure looks amazing like that Book of the Dead Unity demo except in the rain. So could this be the secret PS5 exclusive :)?
https://playprologue.com/

It's the new game from the creator of PUBG
That's not a great heritage. PUBG was from a modder, right? And by reports it's been buggy and had notable issues, with people ignoring these for the gameplay. Presumably their new title is another Unreal Engine creation.

That's not a great heritage. PUBG was from a modder, right? And by reports it's been buggy and had notable issues, with people ignoring these for the gameplay. Presumably their new title is another Unreal Engine creation.
Well, with 50 million copies sold I guess by now finance should afford him to hire decent coders, designers, etc on this project, at least one would hope. I'm keen as hell to see more of it from the brief description.

@Shifty Geezer PUBG is made by Bluehole, a Korean game developer. Player Unknown is an arma2 modder they hired. The game is definitely notable for having been buggy etc. It's come a long long way. I'm curious if a new game would be UE. Apparently Bluehole was very upset with Epic over Fortnite BR.

What other choice do they have, drop UE and all the knowledge they have built up since then for a new-to-them engine like Unity or ?

Yep. All the expertise is invested in UE. They won't have their own engine, and middleware options for a 'AAA' game aren't that numerous so why reposition?

Back