General external expansion discussion? *spawn*

It was the Outriders game I was having issues with. It wouldn’t let me d/l to external- I have to move stuff around first - a right PITB esp for a game which doesn’t seem to be doing anything special.

Thats Odd. I have my external 4TB SSD set as default download location. The system downloaded it to there. I had to move it over to internal NVME to play it.

Thats Odd. I have my external 4TB SSD set as default download location. The system downloaded it to there. I had to move it over to internal NVME to play it.
Both consoles needs more options. On PS5 you can set the default download location but this only applies to PS4 games and all my PS4 games live and play from the 4Tb SSD so that's fine.. PS5 games will always download to the internal NVME and think makes sense if the expectation is you will want to play the downloaded games ASAP. But if you don't, downloading to the external SSD makes sense - particularly if you're short on space.

I know from a UI perspective they want to keep it as simple as possible but what I'd really like is a way to tell it to always download PS4 games to the external SSD and PS5 games to the internal NVME, except when the internal drive is mostly full in which case download PS5 games to free space on the external SSD. But nobody wants to design that interface! :runaway:

Maybe because my external drive is not SSD?
I just know it was a pain to have to shuffle stuff around for 50 points or whatever it was ;)

Thanks goodness it was easy to delete.

What I experienced today trying out Dirt5 download was after clicking on "Install All" from the store page was a popup saying:

Newer games need faster storage.
You can still install {title} on {storage name}. But to play it, you'll need to move the game to the console's internal storage or a storage expansion Card.

[Install On Internal Storage Instead] [Install Anyways] [Learn More] [Cancel]

upload_2021-4-14_14-21-50.png

I do most of my downloads/installs from the Android App where it queues it up from there.

I do most of my downloads/installs from the Android App where it queues it up from there.
Same. It feels so futuristic to be at work and buy something from your phone and work and have it ready by the time you get home!!

Same. It feels so futuristic to be at work and buy something from your phone and work and have it ready by the time you get home!!

Now you can use Alexa to install Game Pass games...

You can now ask Alexa to download Xbox Game Pass games
Xbox Game Pass gets some Alexa integration

By Tom Warren@tomwarren Apr 13, 2021, 9:16am EDT

Amazon is now allowing Xbox owners to download Xbox Game Pass games using Alexa. The feature doesn’t require Alexa users to immediately install a skill, and it can be evoked by saying “Alexa, download [game] from Xbox Game Pass.”

If you’ve already linked Alexa to your Xbox, then the digital assistant will find the game and install it to the linked Xbox automatically. You can also ask Alexa what’s new or popular on Xbox Game Pass and even find out what’s leaving the service soon.

If you haven’t already linked Alexa to an Xbox, then you’ll be prompted to set up the link when you attempt to download a game with your voice for the first time. This will require the Xbox skill to be installed through the Alexa app.

Microsoft is Amazon’s first gaming partner to launch this new Alexa direct-download feature, and it arrives just weeks after a new Alexa app debuted on Xbox. The Alexa app on Xbox lets you display emails, the weather, and other visual content, alongside using the digital assistant for voice commands to launch Xbox games.

This new Alexa direct-download option for Xbox Game Pass subscribers will be available to US users today, with additional markets planned for the future.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/13/22381496/amazon-alexa-download-xbox-game-pass-games

Tommy McClain

Its a bit crazy to me that we are in the middle of April and sony has still done nothing about adding in another nvme drive. At this point I only hope for owners of the console that Sony does it right and launches it without issues.

I felt the Series expansion card was expensive but it was released at launch and is easily swapped and hot swappable. Perhaps Sony didn't want to come out with limited choices that require a level of disassembly and also be more expensive ?

Its a bit crazy to me that we are in the middle of April and sony has still done nothing about adding in another nvme drive. At this point I only hope for owners of the console that Sony does it right and launches it without issues.

I felt the Series expansion card was expensive but it was released at launch and is easily swapped and hot swappable. Perhaps Sony didn't want to come out with limited choices that require a level of disassembly and also be more expensive ?
A couple of things, firstly, Sony have pretty much always allowed customers to choose their own expansion, even is PS2 days. Secondly, if there is not an SSD capable then what are Sony to do?

I agree it’s not great - but it’s a short term pain for long term gain vs the proprietary approach IMHO.

A couple of things, firstly, Sony have pretty much always allowed customers to choose their own expansion, even is PS2 days. Secondly, if there is not an SSD capable then what are Sony to do?

I agree it’s not great - but it’s a short term pain for long term gain vs the proprietary approach IMHO.

All I remember of the PS2 was the hard drive required for Final Fantasy MMO and I believe it was the hard drive + modem and FF . I am not aware of if they allowed you to put your own hard drive in then. I could be wrong. I was only 18 when that came out and I had a dreamcast.

But as to what sony should have done ? Sony should have worked with companies to make compatible drives at launch? Or Sony should have launched with their own NVME add on drive and said hey more drives are coming over the next year?

I get that the xbox series s with its 512 gig ssd with 3xx gigs avalible is on the low side but at least if you want to play current gen games you can buy the add on drive. And yes the ssd add on its $220 bucks for 1TB but the option is there. I would tell consumers who will purchase more than a couple of games to just put the extra $200 into the xbox series x of course. But like I said the options are there.

LIke I said , I just hope when sony does add support there are no issues and they are able to support a lot of drives to give consumers choice.

All I remember of the PS2 was the hard drive required for Final Fantasy MMO and I believe it was the hard drive + modem and FF . I am not aware of if they allowed you to put your own hard drive in then. I could be wrong. I was only 18 when that came out and I had a dreamcast.

But as to what sony should have done ? Sony should have worked with companies to make compatible drives at launch? Or Sony should have launched with their own NVME add on drive and said hey more drives are coming over the next year?

I get that the xbox series s with its 512 gig ssd with 3xx gigs avalible is on the low side but at least if you want to play current gen games you can buy the add on drive. And yes the ssd add on its $230 bucks for 1TB but the option is there. I would tell consumers who will purchase more than a couple of games to just put the extra $200 into the xbox series x of course. But like I said the options are there.

LIke I said , I just hope when sony does add support there are no issues and they are able to support a lot of drives to give consumers choice.
But No drives are fast enough so there were no options, one of the advantages for MS sticking to more standard h/w on that side of things.

I get that the xbox series s with its 512 gig ssd with 3xx gigs avalible is on the low side but at least if you want to play current gen games you can buy the add on drive. And yes the ssd add on its $220 bucks for 1TB but the option is there. I would tell consumers who will purchase more than a couple of games to just put the extra $200 into the xbox series x of course. But like I said the options are there.

Or spend only $100 more and get a PS5 with twice the available space as the XSS ;-)

On PS5 most people will most likely archive their games on any cheap external storage now that they can easily do it.

But No drives are fast enough so there were no options, one of the advantages for MS sticking to more standard h/w on that side of things.
Read Brit's post

Surely Sony has the pieces parts to have made some of their own.
exactly.

Or spend only $100 more and get a PS5 with twice the available space as the XSS ;-)

On PS5 most people will most likely archive their games on any cheap external storage now that they can easily do it.
Or spend $100 more and get a XSX which has more space avalible than the PS5 and easy storage upgrade options.
:runaway:

Read Brit's post

exactly.

Or spend $100 more and get a XSX which has more space avalible than the PS5 and easy storage upgrade options.
:runaway:
Not if the trend of game sizes being smaller on PS5 goes on. $220 for 1TB might be easy but not really cheap.

Not if the trend of blockbuster games coming to gamepass goes on. Spend $70 for 1 game or spend $70 for 7 months of gaming.

Different aspects for different folks.

Not if the trend of game sizes being smaller on PS5 goes on. $220 for 1TB might be easy but not really cheap.
is it a trend ? MS says games will be smaller on the XSS vs the X so maybe they wont need the larger size of the ps5 .

Who knows. I just know at least I have options if I were to buy an xbox

Its a bit perplexing but I would guess there is some sort of supply strain that warrants Sony concentrate on console production versus setting aside SSDs for accessory parts.

I don't know what Sony did with PS2 in other regions in terms of modems but in EMEA region you bought an inexpensive (I paid £20) network adaptor which included the 3.5" caddy in which you insert any 3.5" HDD you had. Like any other networked-device, If you connected the PS2 to a network that had internet, that's all you needed.

Its a bit perplexing but I would guess there is some sort of supply strain that warrants Sony concentrate on console production versus setting aside SSDs for accessory parts.

Maybe Sony don't want to get into the NVMe-drive business. It can't be high volume unlike say PS1/PS2 memory cards. It's may not be worth their effort.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are soldered directly onto the mobo in a bespoke setup aren’t they?

I think the issue is having both a connection and technology as fast as Sony’s solution was likely either not possible or cost prohibitive.

They likely had data from pre Covid that had ‘off the shelf’ products predicted to be available around launch and then sh*t happened.

If Sony had known where we would be sitting today when the decisions were made it would have been an easy pot of gold.

Back