General external expansion discussion? *spawn*

The XB situation is a somewhat bizarre role-reversal! MS aren't even pushing a proprietary format unlike Sony's historical overpriced efforts. I don't know how far under RRP MS prices get though.
Sony only did this on portable devices, e.g. UMD discs, memory cards and MemoryStick. Original PlayStation used CD, PS2 DVD and OG PS2 supported a standard 3.5" HDD with the Network Adaptor. PS3 and PS4 both used Blu-ray and supported standard 2.5" HDDs. Not a lot different what what Nintendo did with their bespoke memory/cart technologies - with they clung to a lot longer than Sony.

Sony only did this on portable devices, e.g. UMD discs, memory cards and MemoryStick.
Think bigger picture, all of Sony. Memory cards on PS and PS2 were proprietary (although understandable as there wasn't a cheap flash standard back then). But then they have MemoryStick on the cameras and tried to leverage PSP to encourage that format. They had their own audio format on higher priced 'MP3' players. DAT and minidisc and UMD. Sony were traditionally the company coming up with something no-one else was using and slapping a premium on it. Now it's MS's turn for whatever reason.

Think bigger picture, all of Sony. Memory cards on PS and PS2 were proprietary (although understandable as there wasn't a cheap flash standard back then). But then they have MemoryStick on the cameras and tried to leverage PSP to encourage that format.
The reason for bespoke memory cards on consoles wasn't because the flash was expensive, it was because it was expensive to licence the interface tech, e.g. compact flash would have been fine, but it would have cost significantly more. Sony let anybody make their own memory cards for the first two home PlayStation consoles.

MemoryStick launched in 1998 and was used on a lot of digital audio devices, including kit made by Aiwa, Kenwood, Pioneer, Sanyo and Sharp. It was smaller than CompactFlash and faster than SD card which didn't launch until 2000, and later became the most common format at the time, so it made a lot of sense in a portable performance device.

They had their own audio format on higher priced 'MP3' players. DAT and minidisc and UMD. Sony were traditionally the company coming up with something no-one else was using and slapping a premium on it. Now it's MS's turn for whatever reason.

Of course they did. Sony were, and still are, one of the biggest manufacturers of professional A/V equipment in the world. Much of Hollywood relies on Sony cameras, reference monitors and digital formats. If you wonder why Sony have made so much media stuff it's principally been to solve problems in the professional production space, that has then filtered down into the consumer channel.

DAT was VHS replacing analogue with digital signals. Sony's various audio formats like LDAC were create to solve problems like the lack of a streaming container format in MP3 at the time. MiniDisc was supposed to replace tapes in portable players when CDs were too large, UMD was intended to provide a lot of cheap disc storage in something that could easily slot into a portable device with some case protection to minimise scratches to the disc.

Don't forgot the 3.5" floppy disk, also by Sony. Smaller than the 5.25" and 8" floppy discs and higher capacity. Every format and standard has been developed to solve a problem for which there wasn't an existing solution. They could have gone further, but Sony quickly embraced various USB and other I/O standards, they didn't care what what 3.5" and 2.5" drives you put into PS2, PS3 and PS4. The 60gb launch PS3 had a flash card reader. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The reason for bespoke memory cards on consoles wasn't because the flash was expensive, it was because it was expensive to licence the interface tech, e.g. compact flash would have been fine, but it would have cost significantly more. Sony let anybody make their own memory cards for the first two home PlayStation consoles.

MemoryStick launched in 1998 and was used on a lot of digital audio devices, including kit made by Aiwa, Kenwood, Pioneer, Sanyo and Sharp. It was smaller than CompactFlash and faster than SD card which didn't launch until 2000, and later became the most common format at the time, so it made a lot of sense in a portable performance device.

Of course they did. Sony were, and still are, one of the biggest manufacturers of professional A/V equipment in the world. Much of Hollywood relies on Sony cameras, reference monitors and digital formats. If you wonder why Sony have made so much media stuff it's principally been to solve problems in the professional production space, that has then filtered down into the consumer channel.

DAT was VHS replacing analogue with digital signals. Sony's various audio formats like LDAC were create to solve problems like the lack of a streaming container format in MP3 at the time. MiniDisc was supposed to replace tapes in portable players when CDs were too large, UMD was intended to provide a lot of cheap disc storage in something that could easily slot into a portable device with some case protection to minimise scratches to the disc.

Don't forgot the 3.5" floppy disk, also by Sony. Smaller than the 5.25" and 8" floppy discs and higher capacity. Every format and standard has been developed to solve a problem for which there wasn't an existing solution. They could have gone further, but Sony quickly embraced various USB and other I/O standards, they didn't care what what 3.5" and 2.5" drives you put into PS2, PS3 and PS4. The 60gb launch PS3 had a flash card reader. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Thats the thing. Besides Vita's mem cards (Which I am not sure if they had anything to do with piracy measures), Sony's proprietary technologies were mainly designed as solutions to a problem.
MS on the other hand is literally hiding common SSD's in a case and selling it at a premium for Series, which they did also with the 360's HDD. That thing was literally a common HDD sold as a 360 specific HDD
They could have easily provided a case to put a storage drive of your choice in. The XBOX One does not allow easy solution to change or increase internal storage without destroying warranty.
Wherever there was no solution needed, Sony supported established hardware with their consoles. The PS3 supported common memory solutions and hard drives. So does PS4 and PS5.
I believe their cameras also support readers for Sony patented and non-Sony technologies

The reason for bespoke memory cards ...
I don't understand the point of this post. What are you saying regards my point that Sony used to be the one making expensive formats (that your history lesson confirms) and selling them more expensively than the rival formats but now MS's are doing that? You don't appear to be countering my position, nor agreeing. :???:

I don't understand the point of this post. What are you saying regards my point that Sony used to be the one making expensive formats (that your history lesson confirms) and selling them more expensively than the rival formats but now MS's are doing that? You don't appear to be countering my position, nor agreeing. :???:
He's essentially arguing Sony's position on those decisions was justified by market forces and the scenarios at the time being a hw manufacturer. What your saying is "they did proprietary formats too"

Which is completely different argument you guys are having back and forth 😂

Somewhere along the line it became about whether or not MSs expansion drive solution is justified 🤔

Although I could have sworn the early 360s used proprietary HDD as well, this stupid crap

He's essentially arguing Sony's position on those decisions was justified by market forces and the scenarios at the time being a hw manufacturer. What your saying is "they did proprietary formats too"

Somewhere along the line it became about whether or not MSs expansion drive solution is justified 🤔

Although I could have sworn the early 360s used proprietary HDD as well, this stupid crap

It wasnt even proprietary. They took a common HDD and inserted it into a different case which connected via a different port and sold it at a premium.

Perhaps re-read my post because you clearly missed the point. I didn't mention Microsoft at all.

Ever format that Sony created was to solve a problem that wasn't not served by an existing format. Once that format existed, Sony would tend to use it rather than licensing another format. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Why MemoryStick and not SDCard? Because SDCard controllers has no hardware encryption to make piracy more complex. Why UMD? Because cartridges would have been limited in size and very expensive.

Thats even worse 😂
Of course. For me the XBOX360 was a shitshow in terms of indirect costs. I enjoyed it for what it was, but God damn, it started a trend where you had to be paying extra for everything. Paying a subscription to play online was stupid, and because of them it became a standard. I want to remind that with PS3, online was free and Plus came much later and it was giving you free games, and trials. Which thankfully established these play-online subscription services with free monthly games than just vanilla online play.
Then I had to worry about freakin batteries running out all the time or I could pay MS extra for a premium cost rechargeable battery pack. That 20GB storage was atrocious and MS wanted me to pay for a bigger storage at the same price I would get a 100GB HDD.
The PS3 was a worry-free console in terms of additional costs

On the plus side I guess, atleast you could play (almost) every game directly off the disc for 360. Unlike for PS3 which really made needing space a necessity. With the 360 you could get by pretty easily with only initial internal 512mb/4gb storage if you were physical only.

I never bought extra stuff for my 360 and thank goodness for that. Although changing batteries was absolutely a hassle. And the controller battery ports eventually fail making them worthless. My PS3 controller I have had since 2009 still works fine and holds a decent charge after years of use

Perhaps re-read my post because you clearly missed the point. I didn't mention Microsoft at all.
Then why are you talking to me about what I said about MS?

Ever format that Sony created was to solve a problem that wasn't not served by an existing format. Once that format existed, Sony would tend to use it rather than licensing another format. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Why MemoryStick and not SDCard? Because SDCard controllers has no hardware encryption to make piracy more complex. Why UMD? Because cartridges would have been limited in size and very expensive.
So you are raising a point about the validity of Sony's choices, but you didn't actually express your point leaving me trying to work out how your words fit in with my words. It'd really help all conversations if people actually made clear their point before their arguments. ;)

Yeah. It'd help if people wouldn't resply to comments/arguments they aren't actually responding to. Write one's point and present one's arguments.

Sony's choices may have made sense versus MS's - no-one said otherwise. That doesn't change the fact that Sony used to be the ones offering rare formats at higher prices, and now they are all about everyday standards and it's MS who are the ones asking for a premium for a medium. It's just a small, irrelevant observation! It should either spawn a few wry smiles or shoulder-shrugs.

Yeah. It'd help if people wouldn't resply to comments/arguments they aren't actually responding to. Write one's point and present one's arguments.

Sony's choices may have made sense versus MS's - no-one said otherwise. That doesn't change the fact that Sony used to be the ones offering rare formats at higher prices, and now they are all about everyday standards and it's MS who are the ones asking for a premium for a medium. It's just a small, irrelevant observation! It should either spawn a few wry smiles or shoulder-shrugs.
It may have come down to decision compromises for Xbox. They are small, compact devices, and the idea of having a flat laying M.2 Slot probably wouldn't work on the Series X and S if you look at the internals. The drive had to be a specific size to fit in there, and to slide in, and to be cooled.

Outside of the cost of the drive, the actual drive is probably ideal for a console: plug in and play is typically what we expect from a console, screwing things into a mobo is what we would expect from a PC.
I don't think it's an issue, and if the slim variants are able to get significantly smaller while still supporting the drive, then perhaps this reached their goals.

Even if so, the price could be kept in line with SSD prices. It's also just an NVMe as you can get adaptors to take some generic drives (user confirmed).

Actually that post says it is a specific model, the one that is used in the existing storage cards. "I put a memo stating I needed it to be CH SN530 NOT the PC SN530." So no, it's not generic drives.

A more recent comment in that reddit link:

What is it exactly that makes Xbox Series S only recognize CH SN530 2230 drives? I find this even more confusing considering it's Seagate hardware to begin with, but only WD is acknowledged? I'm fairly tech-savvy, but I don't actually own an Xbox (current models). Does anybody have the actual specifications for this drive or interface?

So you are raising a point about the validity of Sony's choices, but you didn't actually express your point leaving me trying to work out how your words fit in with my words. It'd really help all conversations if people actually made clear their point before their arguments. ;)
I can summarise. I chipped in your post where your said "MS aren't even pushing a proprietary format unlike Sony's historical overpriced efforts."

What I'm saying is Microsoft have chosen the closed path for no reason, whereas all of Sony's proprietary efforts were chosen because they solved a technical requirement that alternatives did not. Whenever there has been a standard that works, Sony just used it. USB, standard wifi, bluetooth, E/EIDE drives.. even connecting OG PSVR over two HDMI cables.

Sony went MemoryStick because SD Cards didn't offer hardware encryption to prevent piracy. UMD because optical was cheaper and lager capacity than cartridges. Microsoft have chosen standards (2.5" drives in 360,XBO, 360 Wifi Adaptors, external drives, XBS M2 drives) but locked down the options to limit consumers to buying "overpriced efforts".

What I'm saying is Microsoft have chosen the closed path for no reason, whereas all of Sony's proprietary efforts were chosen because they solved a technical requirement that alternatives did not. Whenever there has been a standard that works, Sony just used it. USB, standard wifi, bluetooth, E/EIDE drives.. even connecting OG PSVR over two HDMI cables.
Which is fair enough, but for clarity you should really have expressed that you felt there was no justification for MS's price whereas there was for Sony's. Without that anchor point, I clearly misunderstood where you were coming from. ;)

Actually that post says it is a specific model, the one that is used in the existing storage cards. "I put a memo stating I needed it to be CH SN530 NOT the PC SN530." So no, it's not generic drives.
But it is a generic drive. It's an off-the-shelf component used in a range of devices as opposed to a proprietary drive. The article points out the difference between two WD drives as an example but states according to Tom's Hardware

The adaptor has a major limitation, though. While it can house any short M.2-2230 drive with a PCIe interface, the consoles are only compatible with select SSDs featuring a specific firmware and internal format.
SSDs, plural. I've read some Seagate drives work also (as you'd expect!).

More importantly, there's no obvious reason any SSD shouldn't work AFAICS. PS5 can take drives that aren't even up to spec. XB should be able to use any standards compliant SSD of the correct form factor, the sort used in tablets. Is this a type of hardware security, or just a Seagate deal? :???: Having said that, looking at the price of these small form factor NVMe drives, the Expansion Card isn't particularly expensive. So perhaps it's price is fair and it was just a choice of form factor resulting in the lower economy versus Sony's approach.

But it is a generic drive. It's an off-the-shelf component used in a range of devices as opposed to a proprietary drive. The article points out the difference between two WD drives as an example but states according to Tom's Hardware
Yeah, but its very very specific. It basically only works for the 512 GB, 1TB and 2TB exact models that are already used by Seagate Storage Cards. That's what they mean by "SSDs" plural, different capacity sizes.

By the time you acquire the adapter and the specific nvmes, you are within a few $ of the official products prices. The tradeoff is you have no warranty to save $10 to $25, depending on what capacity you're going for.

And I completely agree that we need more options and larger discounts on the price of the existing Storage Cards. I am disappointed with current offerings, even though I am set since I picked up a 2TB card and gave my 1TB card to my nephew and have 2 Gigabit Fiber internet service with an option to get 5 Gigabit. I don't need more storage with how fast I can download, though I still opt to use xCloud for some games.

Back