"Gears of War:The Road to E3" MTV Special

I wonder if this game will suddenly look different when someone actually playing it.. because I never really noticed any jaggies in the vids.

3roxor said:
I wonder if this game will suddenly look different when someone actually playing it.. because I never really noticed any jaggies in the vids.

DOF will AA the background and a little motion blur it should help with jaggies in the for screen when it's in motion

it won't be perfect but it would be better then nothing

whats up with CliffyB and chocolate and peanut butter, every interview he mentions it :LOL:

pegisys said:
DOF will AA the background and a little motion blur it should help with jaggies in the for screen when it's in motion

it won't be perfect but it would be better then nothing

whats up with CliffyB and chocolate and peanut butter, every interview he mentions it :LOL:

hey!... you got chainsaw all over my automatic rifle!

rusty said:
i managed to grab it off xboxyde before they yanked it, so could upload it later to yousendit or something if enough people want it (it's 93.5 mb).... assuming it doesn't somehow breach the boards policy

Yes please. :)

Tim Sweeney and his Lamborghini don't match at all. Man, he's even more geeky sounding and looking than I remember. hehe

kyleb said:
I'm dissapointed to hear there is still no AA in UE3, but I'm interested to see what they are doing to combat the jaggies. Unfortunatly all direct video from it I have seen has apparently been offline renders as they show plenty of AA.

The reason for this was discussed in at least one thread.

ERP said:
UE3 works fine with the EDRAM, what it doesn't work well with is MSAA in general, because they do their shadows in screen space before the downsample, the cost of them is multiplied by the amount of AA.

They could probably downsample the Zbuffer and do the shadow processing in final screen space, but there would be artifacts because of Zbuffer averaging, and shadows would not be antialiased.

I'm guessing they've tried this and the results are unacceptable.

ERP said:
What unreal does is reverse transform the pixels in the frame buffer which has the advantage that it's cost is unrelated to the complexity of the recieving geometry, with the obvious disadvantage that if you have more samples effected cost goes up linearly with that. You also don't have to worry about which bits of geometry receive shadows in this model.

Whether it's a performance win depends on the likely complexity of the shadow recievers, and how effectively you can cull pixels and triangles in the first case.

It's an interesting approach, what I've seen of GOW, I'm a bit surprised Epic thinks it's a win performance wise, but without trying both methods it's a difficult call.

(bold is mine)
thread

Last edited by a moderator:
jonnyp said:
Tim Sweeney and his Lamborghini don't match at all. Man, he's even more geeky sounding and looking than I remember. hehe

lol, I wonder what it would look like if him and carmack got together and threw a party.

Does any one know where i can downlaod a copy of this MTV video? I went to that MTV website and the fraking video won't play becuase of the windows version I have (I use win64). Talk about stupid, I've always had problems with MTV based websites.

Sigh...

Btw guys how was the footage at MTV? How was the framerate? I downloaded a couple of videos from E3 and the game still seemed to have very choppy framerates

Nesh said:
Btw guys how was the footage at MTV? How was the framerate? I downloaded a couple of videos from E3 and the game still seemed to have very choppy framerates

The game looked great. Still a little choppy but it looked much better.

Well I believe it's running on 1 core. Why would the devs lie? I mean beside the obvious.
i assume the devs have confirmed this then, ouch!
is this all UT based games or just this one, i assume all. (surely theyve known multicore is the future for years??)
unlike say hmmm hdr that can be added in later on with minor changes (or no changes just additions) designing for multicore requires a fundemental restructure of the engine.
if its not running now, theyre in the shit. they have 2 options
A/ hack it in (in doing so get no where near peak performance, but just enuf to tick the multicore checkbox)
B/ do major rewrite, delaying the title/s launches for many months

zed said:
i assume the devs have confirmed this then, ouch!
is this all UT based games or just this one, i assume all. (surely theyve known multicore is the future for years??)
unlike say hmmm hdr that can be added in later on with minor changes (or no changes just additions) designing for multicore requires a fundemental restructure of the engine.
if its not running now, theyre in the shit. they have 2 options
A/ hack it in (in doing so get no where near peak performance, but just enuf to tick the multicore checkbox)
B/ do major rewrite, delaying the title/s launches for many months

supposedly, allegedly, grain of salt it's true.

Also supposedly, allegedly, grain of salt the UE3 multicore engine is in process of being implemented.

Tap In said:
Also supposedly, allegedly, grain of salt the UE3 multicore engine is in process of being implemented.

I assume you mean 'for this game'?

I have high hopes for that though, as Epic wants GoW to be a showcase for UE3.

Tap In said:
running on 1 core. :D

allegedly... ;)

they should use the other two as well. It will become a totally different game, at smooth constant framerates.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back