Gears of War CliffyB interview

Tap In

Legend
http://gearheadsofwar.com/

pretty long interview conducted by his brother

on the "big" announcement and hopes for the game and its progress...multiplayer vs SP... his inspiration for the game ... growing up gaming etc.

Gearheads: What has been the single-most defining moment of your life?

Cliff: Proudly standing onstage and showing the world Gears of War at E3 this last year.

Gearheads: The release date is about 100 days away at this point. How far along is the development of the game?

Cliff: At this stage it's all about the polish and bug fixing. Play the game. Enter bugs. Is this area too hard? Too easy? Tweaking the pacing. Ammo counts. All of those bits that amount to dotting the "I's" and crossing the "T's."

Gearheads: Is the game fun yet? I mean do you want to just sit down and play it.

Cliff: It was fun at E3! So it's only become more enjoyable since then. In fact, I was showing off the e3 build recently and I found myself annoyed by the lack of polish/tweaks that weren't in that build that we've been able to implement since.

Gearheads: Does the statistics that reveal 60 percent of the people on 360 are on XBL influence your decision-making process on that at all?

Cliff: People come for the single player and stay for the multiplayer and co-op. It's as simple as that and a similar thing could be said about graphics. They come for the graphics but they stay for the gameplay.

I think that is a pretty good summary of "good" FPS. Cliffy is always pretty blunt and insightful. Hopefully his game turns out good or he will have to enter the Witness Protection Program due to all the hype!

I just prey that it doesn't turn out to be Brute Force Part 2.

valid concern but completely different pedigree and too many examples of gameplay including the mulitplayer experience that people appreciated at E3 to be that much of a flop.

as he states in this interview, with all the hype (justified IMO) there WILL be some backlash and some journalists/gamers more than happy to make us all aware of where the game falls short. ;)

It will not be a perfect game but possibly the best looking game yet released with 'hopefully' the gameplay to match.

The only thing that concerns me about this game is the framerate which will affect the controls.

Everything else is perfect

The only thing that concerns me about this game is the framerate which will affect the controls.

Everything else is perfect

I think framerate has been ironed out

Cliffy mentioned earlier that it was running typically over 30fps and would be locked at 30

Last edited by a moderator:
I think framerate has been ironed out

Cliffy mentioned earlier that it was running typically over 30fps and would be locked at 30

If thats the case I am sold. Last time I downloaded gameplay footage (from this years E3 I think) it looked way too choppy when there was too much action going on.

Mark Rein was the one who mentioned higher framerates etc due to multi-threading compared to the E3 build:

“[The E3 demo] was using our single-threaded rendered. We have our new Gemini multi-threaded rendered working in the engine right now,â€￾ Rein explained. “The final game’s built on it, it gives us better frame rates and more fluidity - UT 2007 will also benefit from it. It only gets better from here. So if you were impressed with Gears of War at E3, the finished game’s going to be much better, it’s going to be spectacular.â€￾

Full video of the interview here

one thing im interested in, gears of war uses a thirdperson camera but shoots from a first person perspective, ok this works when u shoot machineguns etc where u cant see the bullets but with rocketlaunches etc which leave a smoke trail its gonna look offputing, how have they solved it?
A/ no rocket launches etc
B/ go into first person view
C/ change camera so its right over the players shoulder
D/ other

also i question wether or not the constant camera changes is gonna be disconcerting to a large percentage of users, though i assume theyve tested thoroughly so it should be ok, i look forward to it

Mark Rein was the one who mentioned higher framerates etc due to multi-threading compared to the E3 build:

Full video of the interview here

I know i'm sounding like a broken record with this but hopefully that gemini renderer allows them to turn on vsync. ON the E3 demo it was really distracting in some of the fast panning cinematic scenes and some gameplay as well.

Some nice PS3 bashing going on over there..

No there isn't. There's a lot of baiting, trying to get CliffyB to comment on 360 vs PS3, but he doesn't bite, ever. The only 'bashing' going on is the one comment by the interviewer: "Graphically, Gears of War looks more impressive than anything we have seen on the PS3. What percentage of the Xbox 360’s graphics processing power would you estimate that it uses?"

No there isn't. There's a lot of baiting, trying to get CliffyB to comment on 360 vs PS3, but he doesn't bite, ever. The only 'bashing' going on is the one comment by the interviewer: "Graphically, Gears of War looks more impressive than anything we have seen on the PS3. What percentage of the Xbox 360’s graphics processing power would you estimate that it uses?"

That baiting is bashing too (from the interviewer) and you forgot: "Gears of War is being widely touted as a PS3-killer , encouraging further uptake of Xbox 360s at around the time the PS3 arrives" ..oh?

Just like in the last Cliffy interview (conducted by his brother) I don't see these things happening in other 360 dev interviews.

Back