Gears of War CliffyB interview

That baiting is bashing too (from the interviewer) and you forgot: "Gears of War is being widely touted as a PS3-killer , encouraging further uptake of Xbox 360s at around the time the PS3 arrives" ..oh?

Just like in the last Cliffy interview (conducted by his brother) I don't see these things happening in other 360 dev interviews.

Well I don't quite agree. I mean, GoW has that particular release date, and I think it's quite exact information. Touted is the key word here, which is exactly the right word, imho. And obviously in that context CliffyB's work and the release date of GoW make him a likely target for such interviews. After all, he's doing the work that Halo 3 should have been doing originally.

However, CliffyB still works for a company that also makes a lot of money licencing the Unreal Engine to PS3 developers not to mention that he's not likely to go on stating that Unreal Tournament 2007 PS3 is going to have nothing on GoW, so it's pointless.

Poor etiquette on the interviewer's part. Disgusting.
<Insert obligatory 'Modern Journalism' rant>

Plus the website sucks in that the advert links are dark green, and so is the background graphic, making some words hard to read. And the interviewer didn't ask any questions to get much meaningful new information.

just to be clear...the latest comments are for the most recent interview with Spong, not the original in the opening post... which is more fun and less controversial...in case you missed it :D

That baiting is bashing too (from the interviewer) and you forgot: "Gears of War is being widely touted as a PS3-killer , encouraging further uptake of Xbox 360s at around the time the PS3 arrives" ..oh?

Just like in the last Cliffy interview (conducted by his brother) I don't see these things happening in other 360 dev interviews.

Well killer is a little much, but with a release date within days of the PS3 launch, it's obviously aimed to do exactly that, reduce the hype around the PS3 and shift focus back to 360.

I wonder if GOW still has a chance to come to the PC.

Hell, I wonder if it still has a chance to come to PS3.

Gears of War has been stated many times to be exclusive to MS. PC version talk has been largely snubbed (although the "no plans" "no work currently" "focused on the 360" etc comments and "ask MS" leave cracks) it has been made pretty clear for a long time Gears of War is an exclusive to MS. It has only been announced for the 360, has not been seen on a PC since beta kits were available, and MGS is the publisher.

There is absolutely no information indicating a PS3 release. I do wonder how "Gears of PS3" can be entertained numerous times on the forum and yet games with much more dubious "exclusives" (and not even called such) gets a ton of people out of the woodwork getting defensive.

Arwin said:
Well I don't quite agree. I mean, GoW has that particular release date, and I think it's quite exact information. Touted is the key word here, which is exactly the right word, imho. And obviously in that context CliffyB's work and the release date of GoW make him a likely target for such interviews. After all, he's doing the work that Halo 3 should have been doing originally.

Correct, when you are an exclusive title on a platform being pushed as the console centerfold, both at the biggest gaming show of the year and by a significant marketing push and positioned not only during the peak sales period but also right before your competitors launch, it is pretty clear that MS is positioning Gears of War as their "PS3-Killer". (Not that anything can deter the 6M PS3 sales). The difference of course is Epic is 3rd party doing an exclusive; kind of the catch 22 of being a middleware maker who is also signed up for a platform exclusive with significant publisher backing. Cliffy seemed to handle the questions well considering the tight spot he was in.

Anyhow, the graphical question is subjective. We have a large number of posters here who have flatly said that, "Game X looks better than anything I have seen on the Xbox 360/PS3". I have not seen enough direct feed of the PS3 or Xbox 360 software to make such a statement, and to a large degree any opinion is just that, an opinion. Gears could be a technically excellent title with a great gritty art theme and totally turn off people who want more colors--or vice versa. Pretty subjective opinion and people either agree or don't. On our forums of course whether you agree or not will tend to closely aline with what your favorite console maker is :LOL: "Technical Merits: +1 for Console A; -1 for Console B" :p

Back