Gears of War 2

Well they look like BS, just look how the downsampling enhances the edges, texture detail up to the horisont and overall image uniformity. Same as those Resistance 2 BS which had the same effect. Though for BS these looks much better IMO.

What is interesting though is the excellent artwork, particle effects, large scope aswell as the detail shown, soft flesh and nice soft shadows.

GEARSCOMP.jpg

to me Gears2 looks rather washed out

this is supposedly due to some sort of fake radiosity right?

I don't know what's so hot about it

Could be anything... could be some haze artistic effect for the particular level they're demoing, considering how high up they are in the mountains. I'm sure they'll have their visual filters in the options anyway.

The ability to see more detail won't be a problem, if your TV is properly calibrated you'll still have nice blacks...

These are bullshots with no aliasing at all, the game itself will be quite different of course.

If anyone is still not convinced the next generation of consoles should include fast EDRAM (and brutal antialiasing TCRs), this shouls should do the trick.

Microsoft and Epic dropped a quartet of Gears of War 2 screenshots today, the first, and taken from the roller coaster-like sequence featured in recent campaign videos ("Act One, Chapter Three: 'Assault,'" to be exact). We also dug through the accompanying fact sheet (actually, credit X3F for the dirty work) and uncovered this single, tasty morsel: "new weapon-specific executions." No specific details yet -- but the nasty fantasies dancing in your head right now are probably close enough

Hype meter rising!

GEARSCOMP.jpg

to me Gears2 looks rather washed out

this is supposedly due to some sort of fake radiosity right?

I don't know what's so hot about it
looked like marcus' armour lost alot of specular compared to the 1st. or maybe due to the nature of scenery?
BS or not, those textures are really nice but at the same time lack contrast and light source, so some of them look really flat and washed out. also need to improve on the particle GREATLY, atm they lack volume, density and longetivity. personally, i love the excellent texture quality and the monster design more than anything in that engine.

Everythings fine but the images look damn flat!:???:
I mean those textures and models are nice, but it seems like the lighting is killing it all ! We need some artistic direction in it! Hope they add some smoke and mirrors to add some mood to it.Where's the War feeling ?!!!!?!

By flat I mean, that the depth in the image is missing.Looks 2d, as if one ambient light has been put in, which is making everything flat.

Perhaps it is the DoF that makes the forefront seem "flat" to you becouse of the contrast between forefront and the blurry background "wall"?

To me it seems more like FoV with narrow angle.

They both look pretty good, with the GeoW2 shot obviously having the bit sharper textures. However yes, the GeoW2 image does look a bit flat due to the way the render is lit. Not really a big deal when you're actually playing it in motion.

Back