Gears of War 2

It's a great improvement over the first. People just love to downplay and dismiss. That's all.

Now if we were talking about mediore improvements, look at Rainbow Six 2 and GRAW2.
[Don Angry Modhat of -5 Patience]
Can we please stop talking about how people's opinions are all bias and prejudice and poorly judged and just being awkward? Can we please accept that people have different viewpoints, and that we come here to discuss and hear different viewpoints, rather than to keep stating blankly 'people who disagree with me are wrong'. And if you aren't willing to converse on that level in all and every thread, would you please just push off elsewhere - if someone only wants to hear only from people who agree with everything they say, they should start their own sycophantic forum.

Thank you.
[/Don Angry Modhat of -5 Patience]

To an average guy like me the graphics look pretty similar (== nice) except for the number of things happening. Seeing the gameplay otoh made me just feel bad. I guess I've just played too many rail shooters in my life.

To an average guy like me the graphics look pretty similar (== nice) except for the number of things happening. Seeing the gameplay otoh made me just feel bad. I guess I've just played too many rail shooters in my life.

You know gears of war isn't a rail shooter don't you?

The last level on COD4 being a rail shooter doesn't mean the entire game is one for example.

Seeing the gameplay otoh made me just feel bad. I guess I've just played too many rail shooters in my life.
You do realize that one level is on rails, or rather wheels, yes, but the rest of the game isn't? That's a subset of the game.

Weird choice for a demo if you ask me though, as it doesn't show off at all well the new AO lighting they are supposed to be introducing, nor destructible scenery, other than a tree going down. Colours are much improved (why did all shooters launch this gen in brown-o-vision when colours look so much better??) and general cosmetics are up, but I they could have showed a lot more of the tech-demo integrated into the actual game.

Doesn't look much different to the original Gears. Little bit more going on but thats about it. Won't stop me from buying it though!

You do realize that one level is on rails, or rather wheels, yes, but the rest of the game isn't? That's a subset of the game.

Weird choice for a demo if you ask me though, as it doesn't show off at all well the new AO lighting they are supposed to be introducing, nor destructible scenery, other than a tree going down.
Colours are much improved.
(why did all shooters launch this gen in brown-o-vision when colours look so much better??)
Generally speaking I really don't understand the obsession with color, when it is not affecting gameplay/visibility.
and general cosmetics are up, but I they could have showed a lot more of the tech-demo integrated into the actual game.
I think the main point of the footage is not really showcasing their tech or engine improvements, it's simply to show off scale (maybe not battlefield scale, but size of the enemy, commonplace Brumaks for example).

I would probably cut the part that includes shooting Locust on the ground, but the rest including CQC was pretty nice looking, in terms of gameplay.

the rail sequence feel very scripted after watching it again. it's a shame we couldnt get off the rig and finish off the brumak on our own. well, it's the nature of a rail level i suppose. really wish epic can show us a more free roaming level next time

I wasn't aware shadow deficiencies require detective work. ;)
I guess my perception is a curse (and a gift). :cool:
Regarding shadows there is a flickering gif animation, with or without radiosity, which shows Carmine casting shadows while Marcus and a Locust are fighting with the chainsaw.

duelchainsaw.gif

ultragpu, while I agree with you, a free roaming game design occasionally makes backtracking a chore.

On top of this, the AI should have been completely rewritten to meet the demands of the free roaming levels design, enemies and squadmates alike.

Things like redeploying as a group, use cover intelligently (you know how important is that in GeoW), fall back if pressed and flank defended positions, even trying to flush you out of a hiding place with grenades or something, and having people waiting to shoot you as you leave.., so some of the advantages of having linear levels are lost.

In the end, I also hope the game can definitely become one very big free roaming level, but I don't know. It would be awesome being able to jump off the "Derrick" or whatever and fight the Locust in the forest, between the trees.

definitively looks better than the first one, texture quality is improved + more importantly lighting, though animations + particle effects arent that great but are easily improved.
as some ppl have noted the actions taking place in quite a small area, wether the final product is gonna be like this is anyones guess.
one good thing about it, with the DOF it feels as if the ppl are like 15cms tall, little animated clay soilders running around. i love this cartoonish feel.

my only hope is we're not gonna have a repeat of the GOW1 overblown hype in the leadup to the release

the rail sequence feel very scripted after watching it again. it's a shame we couldnt get off the rig and finish off the brumak on our own. well, it's the nature of a rail level i suppose. really wish epic can show us a more free roaming level next time

Yeah I wanna fight a Brumak on foot. Hope that's in there.

These are bullshots with no aliasing at all, the game itself will be quite different of course.

Back