Gear of War: Ultimate (remaster) [XO]

I gave that a go earlier, but havnt heard back on it. Hoping the xblive msg with download code link will come later today.

Yeah I signed up to the site yesterday and got my codes today. You need 2, one to download the game then one for "access" or something. It's pretty dumb. They came about 30 minutes apart I think. Then I gather it's kind of hard to find the game once you redeem the codes too. Definitely not the most user friendly beta. Oh, and the codes came to my Xbox messages not the email associated with my Live account.

I'm really not very excited (since I'm never good at multiplayer) but I'll take a look.

I honestly think this is a lot more appealing to the eye than Gears 4 at the moment. If it hadn't been for the monster in the Gears 4 trailer, the footage might as well have been from another one of these insufferably bland looking Army of Two games. The beefcake art style is fun, not to mention tons more memorable.

I've been bashing Gears 4 graphics too but then I watched the footage directly from my Xbox (from their E3 hub or whatever) and it totally changed my opinion. Suddenly the game came alive, the trees swaying and all that was actually next gen impressive. You can see much better too. The quality on the Microsoft Xbox dash videos although instantly streamed is incredible, FAR better than watching a youtube of any game on the Xbox which will be loaded with pixelation. If you're interested in seeing the Gears 4 demo "right" I recommend watching it on your Xbox One then. Or maybe when/if Gamersyde gets something HQ up at least.

Last edited:

Sounds like they really did rebuild everything. Looks pretty good for a remaster. Baird looks a bit weird though.
That video shows very well the silly fun of Gears 1.

Carmine to Marcus Fenix:

Hey, are you Marcus Fenix?

Marcus Fenix (super deep, unenthusiastic voice):

Yeeeeeah.

:)

Cole: That was beautiful baby.

My favourite:

Dom to Marcus Fenix:

Welcome back to the army, soldier.

Marcus: Shit

:)

It was so redneck and not pretending to be more than that, that it worked.

Gears 4 didn't impress me either. Man, how much mock the sweaty muscular marines have received because it was cliché and all, but Gears of War 1 made the cliche fun. Cole was fun, Marcus was fun, Baird was fun, everyone hated Carmine. The entire Alpha Squad was fun. Gears of War 1 -and only 1- appealed to core and casual fans alike.

They were characters that everyone would want in a kart game, if you know what I mean. Like the Donkey Kong character in Mario KArt games, my favourite btw. Slow acceleration but killer speed and strong as a rock.

Hey!!! Take that back! Carmine is the boss! I always played as Carmine online...he is a ninja!

I gave that a go earlier, but havnt heard back on it. Hoping the xblive msg with download code link will come later today.

Weird that I got an xbox live msg that said I got into the Beta, but don't remember signing up for it. They emailed me a download redeem code and even game me a msg that said I was in.

I've been bashing Gears 4 graphics too but then I watched the footage directly from my Xbox (from their E3 hub or whatever) and it totally changed my opinion. Suddenly the game came alive, the trees swaying and all that was actually next gen impressive. You can see much better too. The quality on the Microsoft Xbox dash videos although instantly streamed is incredible, FAR better than watching a youtube of any game on the Xbox which will be loaded with pixelation. If you're interested in seeing the Gears 4 demo "right" I recommend watching it on your Xbox One then. Or maybe when/if Gamersyde gets something HQ up at least.

It's not the tech. It's the art. It just looks boring. I feel no urge whatsoever to go on a mission with average video game joe and his moderately attractive (cannot risk to trigger some people now, can we) ladyfriend. No amount of swaying trees is gonna change that. And that creature is no Berserker, or Brumak, or what have you. It looks rather goofy actually.

If it's $60, no go.

On an email MS sent out, they have this listed at $60 but then you het $10 MS Store credit after release. Even if this was $30, it would be a tough sell for me considering it only is Gears 1 and no definitive word on what multiplayer modes there are.

Played the beta last night on Social match, I got my ass handed to me so many times, but ended up in spot #1 or 2 on my team. That just proves how lopsided the teams were! The two maps were Gridlock and Canals and team deathmatch only.

Rod confirmed it'd be $40. They will have all the original modes, but they're testing out TDM and KOTH (gears 3 style) for the beta.

Not stuff I care for either, so I'll probably wait for price drop for the SP graphics.

I like it, day 1
Same here. btw, they sent me a beta invite out of the blue, but my connection is poor, so I am considering the idea of giving it away here if a friend of mine doesn't have a beta code.

For the OT, shouldn't you add the PC to the title too?

No. The titles only ever list the consoles that its released for inside the Console Froums.

Titles are not for listing what platforms the title is available for.

You can use a TIG tag to see what platforms its available for.

I played the beta for 5 minutes, indeed very clean, it wont be impressive in videos but in play you see what everybody is talking about. Let there be no doubt diminishing returns didn't strike this gen hard enough that it isn't vastly noticeable the differences.

As usual so many hours getting used to Destiny kind of ruins it though, have to get accustomed to a whole new control scheme, the default walking speed is shockingly slow, like walking in molasses, and the whole press A to run thing seems super clunky in retrospect.

Ah yes, the roadie run. I always thought that douche nozzle CliffyB threw that in there just to be different from other games. I never thought it made much sense.

https://gearsofwar.com/en-us/ultimate-edition/before-and-after

this is pretty cool , it shows the before and after pics and you can just move the line around the picture to get more or less of each console.

At $40 bucks this is a pretty good deal , I got in the beta and I'm enjoying it a lot . I forgot how much fun I used to have with this game. My friends and I went into NYC (not a far trip for me I know but still) to see the Jessica Biel remake of texas chainsaw because after the movie they had gears to try out months before release. We played this game all the time. I think I will get it on the pc however.

this is pretty cool , it shows the before and after pics and you can just move the line around the picture to get more or less of each console.
I love comparison tools like this. I think people understate how big a graphical improvement there was between 360/PS3 and One/PS4 because it wasn't as seismic a shift as Xbox/PS2 to 360/PS3 but comparisons like this (and Metro -> Metro Redux and GTA V) are a good reminder. Accepting that are changes in art which will also impact the overall visuals.

https://gearsofwar.com/en-us/ultimate-edition/before-and-after

At $40 bucks this is a pretty good deal , I got in the beta and I'm enjoying it a lot . I forgot how much fun I used to have with this game. My friends and I went into NYC (not a far trip for me I know but still) to see the Jessica Biel remake of texas chainsaw because after the movie they had gears to try out months before release. We played this game all the time. I think I will get it on the pc however.

Oh it's $40? I will wait for a small price drop then lol

$30 for remasters for me!

Back