Gear of War: Ultimate (remaster) [XO]

Brand new comparison video between the original GeoW and the GeoW Ultimate Edition:

I really like the color scheme of the original Gears, this blueish gritty look fits perfectly to the Gears universe and sets the right tome for the gruesome battle.

With every iteration of Gears, the devs warmed up the color scheme (and weather!)...and I just think it doesn't fit so well to the Gears universe...and now they do this to the remaster as well. Fighting the Horde in a nice and warm sunny perfect day just takes away from the atmosphere imo.

I hope that as in the Halo remakes, they allow to switch to original graphics in the option menu on the fly!

Gears1 on X360 is still a looker to me!

That "art style" of Gears 1 and the old PC version also screamed "early dev tools limitations based on the hardware"

On PC you could run at locked 60fps, last time I played it at 1600x1200 60fps maxed...the flaws and limitations are much more noticable.

I really wish they would have taken off from Gears 3 engine and using the Xbone bring a new level because there's gonna be new people playing and old and the old...color art style just doesnt cut it anymore than making current gen consoles based on 2005 limitations of hardware and tech.

Enhanced graphics, physics, A.I....even the stages should be updated because the stages were built on limitations. ..

The new Halo is finally an upgrade which I wish could have happened last gen if consoles were more powerful tech.

These games simulate combat and wars...and now that limitations are different there should not be the same invisible wall...if a person mastered the old games then they may enjoy double the enemy count and A.I. not being pushovers for the same old tricks...

Halo actually is a step in the right direction...Gears next has to upgrade too...hell when the Halo remake collection was made they should have based off tje Halo 4 3d engine and truly enhanced the old game and story and still have the old version separate for single player campaign enjoyment...

Edit: I've been reviewing the comparison footage and the Gears remake really looks out of place for being a "remake"

One thing I find unnecessary to make is online multiplayer remakes when they really want the consumer to buy the sequels...they could have simply revisited, remastered the single player campaigns with added online co-op enhanced...graphics physics A.I...etc...story cutscenes...

Oh well...looks pretty disappointing...

Last edited:
It looks great compared to the original, it just doesn't look current gen good. More like a Gears 1.5 to me.

The XB360 version seems artistically (atmosphere wise) more attractive IMHO. I'm not quite sure what to call the post processing effect being used in the XB360... however there seems to be a nice diffused glow with the environment and deeper shadows. The XB1 version seems very sterile (clean)... all the beloved grittiness washed away.

The XB360 version seems artistically (atmosphere wise) more attractive IMHO. I'm not quite sure what to call the post processing effect being used in the XB360... however there seems to be a nice diffused glow with the environment and deeper shadows. The XB1 version seems very sterile (clean)... all the beloved grittiness washed away.

Maybe they'll be a filter to add it back in. Either way, I'm not too interested at this point as I already have all the previous Gears via hard copy or digital. What would make me the most curious is the stuff added to the PC version.

Not sure if I'll buy this, I loved Gears 1, it was a seminal previous gen moment and my favorite of the series, but I basically only play campaign and it's probably not worth 40 to one off the campaign. Oh yes I have all the previous Gears too like the above poster if that matters.

I'm thinking maybe I'll try to rent it (I'm doubting redbox will have it or it will be available even if they do get it in any timely manner, but we do have a remaining proper rental store here), or buy the disc for 40, play through it in 1-2 weeks and hope to get ~20 credit for selling it back. Which btw the latter highlights for me how digital still often has a ways to go.

The only thing is I hate playing games under a certain time limit which renting always makes me feel like I'm doing.

I think a lot of the "it doesn't look dirty enough" is because yeah, the old version was 720P and full of jaggies. Not really a concern to me, even if it does now look more sterile I dont place that as good or bad, just different.

Last edited:
Haven't kept up with rumurs but, I see people on youtube already streaming playthroughs of the full game. Guess the disc leaked to stores early?

I'm so damn weak. I'm now reconsidering actually getting this game. The additional 2 hours of content (5 chapters I think) is drawing me back in. The footage of single player campaign is enough for me as I'm not doing much MP these days with the exception of fighting games.

Haven't kept up with rumurs but, I see people on youtube already streaming playthroughs of the full game. Guess the disc leaked to stores early?

someone on reddit posted that YT and T folks have been given early access along with reviewers, I think they are limited to only acts 1-4 and no "review" commentary, also must have their face or channel on the stream / footage.

Interesting that the single player frame-rate is only (still) 30fps... especially being a remastered edition.

Interesting that the single player frame-rate is only (still) 30fps... especially being a remastered edition.

I thought they were talking about upcoming 2016 game Gears of War 4, not the remaster.

The graphics got a huge bump though. Looks like a different games

Given Xbox One's problems making 1080P, and something like TLOU remaster not hitting a locked 60 despite AFAIK relatively little improved graphics, I'm not at all surprised.

Btw, the 30/60 split was mentioned during the SDCC panel a while back, actually.

FPS analysis could be interesting. Gears 1 tore frames quite a bit IIRC.

Sort of wonder if the CPU is any issue. On the one hand it looks like it could have been a Judgment iteration, on the other... it's probably easier to just rip out the original renderer and bolt on things without touching the gameplay code too much (scripting, AI, etc), and we all know how poopy UE3.0 was back in the day...

Is this done on UE3? Guess Arkham Knight won't be the last high profile game using it if that's the case.

It's still UE3 it seems:

http://www.polygon.com/2015/7/28/9005697/gears-of-war-present-future

"We had the question of staying true to the game that was Gears of War using Unreal Engine 3, or do you recreate that experience in UE4 because of the potential graphic enhancements you can get," Fergusson says. "I don’t think everybody understands that the difference between UE3 and UE4 means there are certain aspects, especially in scripting, that you can’t port. Artificial intelligence is one of them. If you like the Wretch in UE3 and you want to have a Wretch in UE4, you can’t just copy and paste the code. You have to look at the code and completely rewrite it and hope you get the feel and everything else the same."

It quickly became apparent that, not only would the team not have time to entirely recreate and rescript Gears of War in Unreal Engine 4, but it would be a different game. "For a number of reasons, the main one being the truthfulness of the simulation ... we decided to take UE3 and add to it," Fergusson says.

Technical Lead Jaysen Huculak explains that the decision to go with Unreal Engine 3 bore fruit quickly. "We felt confident we could take the tech from 2006 and bring it forward and modernize it quickly," Huculak says. "That’s what we did in preproduction, and then we could execute against that really quickly."

Guess that answers... stuff.

Last edited:
Back