GART: Games and Applications using RayTracing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I meant RTX has needed a showcase with visuals this transformative.
RTX got it years ago with Metro Exodus. Not a demo either.
Interestingly enough, the team responsible for this Matrix demo is the same team responsible for the StarWars Reflections demo that debuted during Turing Ray Tracing launch.

At any rate, when the Matrix demo gets launched on PC eventually, I am sure it will run only on Turing, Ampere and RDNA2, while RDNA1 and Vega2 will be discarded entirely or get downgraded to oblivion visually. My guess is that Epic will not even bother with them, nor will AMD. Also I am postulating the 2080Ti will be faster than 6900XT when running the demo.

And just like Metro Exodus Enhanced and Minecraft DXR, running UE5 titles with advanced visuals will require an RT capable GPU as a minimum.

Just reminded me i havnt finished the zen levels in Black Mesa, now I'm thinking I should just wait until HLRT comes out
Maybe they missed a trick adding RT to HL instead of Black Mesa

Last edited:
At GDC 2022 nVidia will talk (and introduce?) about "Kickstart RT":
Ray tracing is becoming quite prevalent in AAA games. However, to make use of this new technology a game engine must generally create a BVH of all scene geometry and bind all materials active in the scene. This requirement is often at odds with the dynamic nature of scene composition and material systems. Kickstart RT presents a novel cross-API (Direct3D11, Direct3D12 & Vulkan), cross-platform (win64 & ARM) solution that caches direct lighting information into a world space structure that is then used to ray trace reflections, GI and shadows. In this talk, we'll deep dive into the mechanisms and the algorithm used in Kickstart RT, and show off the quality and performance compared to traditional ray tracing and reference path tracing. The aim of this technology is to enable many developers to add ray tracing effects to their game engine in a much shorter timespan than it might otherwise take and to bring ray tracing to developers still using Direct3D11.

Takeaway
Attendees of this session will come away with an understanding of how Kickstart RT works under the hood, how to go about integrating this open source technology into their game engine, and where they can grab it from.
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session...start-rt-easy-open-source-ray-tracing-/885256

Last edited:
Lumen

Since the Early Access release, there have been many stability, quality, and performance improvements, including:

Full hardware ray tracing support, which doesn’t require distance fields or any other software tracing, and scales up to large worlds
Path Tracer

Introduced in Unreal Engine 4.27, the Path Tracer is a DXR-accelerated, physically accurate progressive rendering mode that requires no additional setup, enabling you to produce offline renderer-quality imagery right from Unreal Engine.

Preview 1 offers improvements in stability, performance, and feature completeness, including:

Support for hair primitives
Support for the eye shader model
Improvements in sampling, BRDF models, light transport, supported geometries, and more
Niagara Updates:

GPU Ray Tracing Collisions (Experimental). We’ve added the option to the Collision module to use ray tracing on the GPU. No matter whether the emitter and its particles are on-screen or off, or hidden behind an object, the collision will use raytracing to calculate an accurate result.
Note that the calculation is asynchronous, so the Niagara collision will be one frame behind.
https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/blog/unreal-engine-5-is-now-available-in-preview

Guess this about settles whether UE5 will be using RT h/w or not...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back