Gamepads for the PS3

I also don't think the PS3 triggers are bad, but I don't look at them like "triggers". They are far superior for racing games, if only because they don't have insane tension that makes my fingers tired during long races.

I'm sorry, but that sounds pretty grazy to me. Racing games is THE genre in which the X360 triggers truly shines. if your fingers get's tired because of the tension, then you need to work out more son. :)

You play the same game on both platforms with equal time? Most people prefer and spend time with one console, which of course biases their skill. Maybe a developer who tracks stats for a multi-platform game like COD4 might have some interesting data, but I have not seen it.

ITs the same game, CoD4. I haven't really played anything on my X360 allmost a year.

I haven't played as much on the PS3 (2 days playtime) version as the X360 (1 week playtime) version.

They are far superior for racing games, if only because they don't have insane tension that makes my fingers tired during long races.

You need to work out more if you cannot hold down X360 triggers. I have to disagree thought, for racing games, i still like the X360 gamepad better. Tbh, for me x360 gamepad is better for any game that doesn't use the D-pad much. After long races on the PS3 my index finger would sometime be rather uncomfortable.

After long races on the PS3 my index finger would sometime be rather uncomfortable.

Try to hold it that way:
IMG_2005_small.jpg

All fingers relaxed on their places.
Middle finger for triggers.

Try to hold it that way:

All fingers relaxed on their places.
Middle finger for triggers.

That's part of it. I can't use my 360 after playing too much PS3, I hold the 360 controller in a way that's borderline painful. Likewise, using the DS3 after playing too much 360 makes the PS3 controller feel a bit small.

Personally, I think the PS3 controller is overall superior. I'm not crazy for the 360's triggers, though they are better than the PS3's (they could put an actual string in the DS3, I guess). But what I would like the DS3 to have the 360's sticks. I like their resistance a bit more, I prefer the concave tops and the clicky L3/LS is slightly better. For firing I actually like the PS3's R1/L1 better and actually wish there was a way to convert the DS3's L2/R2 into the DS2's actual buttons.

I'm not crazy for the 360's triggers, though they are better than the PS3's (they could put an actual string in the DS3, I guess). But what I would like the DS3 to have the 360's sticks. I like their resistance a bit more, I prefer the concave tops and the clicky L3/LS is slightly better. For firing I actually like the PS3's R1/L1 better and actually wish there was a way to convert the DS3's L2/R2 into the DS2's actual buttons.

I don't know if these have been mentioned in this thread, but in the UK they have been given away with PS3 magazines, are pretty cheap to pick up on their own, and IMO they make a huge difference to the PS3 pad and should be part of the original design. They just clip onto the L2/R2 buttons. All my controllers have them.

5675248x.jpg

I don't know if these have been mentioned in this thread, but in the UK they have been given away with PS3 magazines, are pretty cheap to pick up on their own, and IMO they make a huge difference to the PS3 pad and should be part of the original design. They just clip onto the L2/R2 buttons. All my controllers have them.

5675248x.jpg

Wow thanks a lot. Definately going to order!

5675248x.jpg

I've had these since last year when they came out in NA, they work great. They don't make you a better player, but they feel good ergonomically. They are $5 on Amazon.

There are the Saitek pads for the PS3 for people who must have the 360 style analog stick placement. The analog and dpad can be switched around depending on the type of game you are playing. I would say the only draw back is that is is wired. If it was wireless I would probably buy it up.

ps2700 - latest PS3 version with rumble also a Home button
ps2700v1.jpg

Get three pads in one! The PS2700 Rumble Pad is fully compatible with three different platforms - Playstation 2 and 3 as well as PC. As well as the full complement of buttons and controls, the PS2700 features the innovative new Precision Aim button. Holding the Precision Aim button on the underside of the pad instantly cuts the sensitivity of the right analog stick, making it far easier to get your target in your sights and giving you an instant gameplay advantage.

As well as powerful rumble feedback, the PS2700 also features the revolutionary Cyborg™ module from our Cyborg range. At the press of a button, you can remove the revolutionary Cyborg™ module (Pat. Pending) from the pad and turn it through 180º, instantly changing the configuration of the left stick and d-pad. This gives you the flexibility to configure the pad for different games, depending on whether you prefer to use the analog stick or d-pad, or even cater for multiplayer sessions with friends who prefer different pad configurations.

Original Saitek Cyborg
saitekcyborgrumble_540x683.jpg

I'm sorry, but that sounds pretty grazy to me. Racing games is THE genre in which the X360 triggers truly shines. if your fingers get's tired because of the tension, then you need to work out more son. :)

Yes, I need to work out more. Being in the United States Army and doing far more physical activity in one day than you likely do in one week certainly must attribute to nothing at all.

Playing Forza 2 requires a lot of movement on the triggers because you're braking and using gas a lot, playing GT5: Prologue is significantly easier because there is less tension on the triggers, but not so much less that you cannot judge throttle input / break input.

They are better for racers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh the DS3 and Sixaxis are god awful when it comes to racing games.

The placement of the trigger (if your using R2 to accelerate), gives me knuckle injuries.

He may be bawww'ing in his reply, but you're still full of crap for thinking the 360 triggers are optimally used for racing games, lol. They are TRIGGER shaped for a reason, dude.

You must never have used the DS3's triggers for acceleration in GT5 huh?

Well I much prefer to just use the X-button for acceleration on PS3. It's quite easy to adjust the throttle with that button as it is analog too. Although I don't remember my hand being slipped from those R2 and L2 buttons, it certainly feels like it could very well happen because of that crap curvy to the wrong way desing... X360 triggers have an excellent response feel and it's very easy to adjust correct amount of throttle and breaking without feeling that the hand is going to slip away. Naturally it is great for FPS games too.

When I used the DS3 for GT5P (I have a wheel now) I used x for accelerate (and this goes all the way back to when I played the original GT), but my thumb became numb from playing so damn much. I switched to R2 (and L2 for brake, L1 and R1 for shifting up and down) and my lap times improved (after getting used to it of course). Since then, I loved using the triggers for gas/brake. Now with the wheel, I'm even better. :D

Anyway, I have always loved the DS3/Sixaxis for everything. This is purely a subjective topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I'm looking for a nice pad actually. I've always been terrible with arcade sticks. Hopefully as Oboncious eluded to, pads are also coming out with the release. I love SF games and bought the one off XBLA but the Dpad made it unplayable for me.

How is it possible that you can be worse with an arcade joystick in a fighting game than a gamepad?

How is it possible that you can be worse with an arcade joystick in a fighting game than a gamepad?

Easily. I spent many hundreds of hours playing with the SNES controller vs not nearly as much in the arcades (long lines, not enough money!) I've never been able to do fireballs and dragon punches motions well with a joystick. I prefer a dpad.

Well I much prefer to just use the X-button for acceleration on PS3. It's quite easy to adjust the throttle with that button as it is analog too. Although I don't remember my hand being slipped from those R2 and L2 buttons, it certainly feels like it could very well happen because of that crap curvy to the wrong way desing... X360 triggers have an excellent response feel and it's very easy to adjust correct amount of throttle and breaking without feeling that the hand is going to slip away. Naturally it is great for FPS games too.

The thing is, the X360 triggers are far too tense for long races. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you've never played long durations of Burnout or Forza (even PGR4 for that matter). I sold my 360 copy of Burnout Paradise because I simply could not tolerate how irritating it was to constantly hold down the trigger, it's just got too much resistance.

The DS3 "triggers" (though I'd rather call them buttons) are far superior in their design. Sure, they might not let your fingers snuggle right into the "trigger" but unless you've got ape hands and you're man handeling the joystick, your fingers aren't going to slip off and you shouldn't have any problems.

That said, the 360 triggers work wonderfully for shooters, because you're just holding it down for short periods of time while you shoot, it's not a constant pressure that needs minute adjustments for throttle / break input. It's far easier to gauge throttle input on BoP or GT5: Prologue using the DS3 / Sixaxis.

I play a lot of long races on the 360 and have never had an issue (nor my 4 year old!) The FFWHeel gives some feedback, but even that isn't too bad.

The thing is, the X360 triggers are far too tense for long races. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you've never played long durations of Burnout or Forza (even PGR4 for that matter). I sold my 360 copy of Burnout Paradise because I simply could not tolerate how irritating it was to constantly hold down the trigger, it's just got too much resistance.

I have experienced this only after very long sessions of Forza 2, where my finger would start to hurt from the pressure(resistance) . I think its just down to each persons hands so no real answer i guess...

The DS3 "triggers" (though I'd rather call them buttons) are far superior in their design. Sure, they might not let your fingers snuggle right into the "trigger" but unless you've got ape hands and you're man handeling the joystick, your fingers aren't going to slip off and you shouldn't have any problems.

How tiny are you? Are you like a kid or something?

Im 192 cm tall, about 90 kg, small sized hands for my body size, and my hands slip all of the time of the DS3 controller.

The design is just broken, trigger should curve the other direction in order to ensure maximum grip. In my hands the DS3 controller is a pain to use in Grand Turismo if you use the triggers as accelerate\brake. My hands keep on slippery, or they start to hurt because they have to really hold the controller with alot of force not to slip. (i just use R\L 1 instead ..)

I do agree thought that as a button its nicer to use, its shaped rounder so its more comfy for the fingers when you push the button down.

Back